Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default cleaning cloth seats in vehicle

On Mon 25 Sep 2017 07:01:47p, rbowman told us...

On 09/25/2017 12:12 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
rbowman posted for all of us...

On 09/24/2017 09:01 AM, June Bug wrote:
Borrowed a car for a the weekend as mine went in the shop on
friday. http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1208002seat.jpg

Mine are all leather seats but this is a cloth seat.
I just want to clean it for my friend before I return it.
What do you use at home to clean such things?

I recently had good luck with Tuff Stuff multipurpose foam
cleaner. I'd dripped some olive oil on the driver's seat (long
story) and two applications of the foam removed the oil and six
years of general grime.

Hoagie mania?

No. I've got a hatchback and the rear seat was folded down right
after I took delivery and stays that way. To protect it somewhat I
have a plastic tarp spread over the area. That's the setting.

So I bought some stuff from CostCo including a 1 liter glass
bottle of super deluxe olive oil squeezed by Italian virgins or
something. Got home, took everything into the house but forgot the
bottle of oil. Later I remembered it but since I usually ride one
of the bikes in the summer and don't drive the car I figured it
could stay there until the next time I used the car.

Summer. Sun. Big glass window in the hatchback. Hot. The dark
bottle the oil was in probably didn't help. When I went to
retrieve it I found a shattered bottle and a liter of olive oil on
the tarp. In trying to sop it up with paper towels I managed to
drip some on the seat.

Moral: just buy the cheaper olive oil in the plastic jug.

Or maybe just remember to take the bottle in the house in the first
place. Olive oil degrades in both heat and light.

Easy for you to say... I treat a hatchback as a very small pickup truck
and it's easy to lose a 1 liter bottle amongst the bicycle, camping
gear, packs, spare boots, trekking poles, range bags, targets, archery
supplies, water bottles, and other random gear.