Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT ecliptical timing

On Monday, August 21, 2017 at 3:36:34 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:
You guys are cynical enough so I shouldn't show you this but at 3:29 or
3:28AM EDT

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/ says there are 8 hours and 35 minutes
until Eclipse Countdown Until First Contact in Oregon August 21, 2017 UT

And https://www.weather.gov/source/crh/eclipse.html says
Countdown
Until Totality Begins in Newport, Oregon August 21, 2017

9:47:40

So there is a difference of 1 hour and 12 minutes. Not even an even
hour!

Encouraging, right? Perhaps they have the day wrong too. Oh, one is
first contact and the other totality. My bad.

So you needed to point out that the difference between the start of
the eclipse and totality confused you?

The whole thing is not dependant on how fast the sun moves, or how fast
the earth rotates (which is the same thing) so it does not take 3+
hours.

I'd like to see the reference for that claim. It would seem to me that
the rotation speed of the earth would have to be a factor in the
timing of the eclipse appearing and ending at a given location.
If the earth was not rotating, the sun would never change location in
the sky from Oregon to SC to begin with.

It's dependant on how fast the moon crosses the surface of the sun,
which would only be 20 minutes or something, but the sun is moving, not
as fast as the moon, but enough to make the whole thing take iirc 90
minutes (all numbers are guesses.)

Watch on the web, and tv will probalby have it too, and since it's going
to rain in Baltimore, https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/eclipse-live-stream .

OT ecliptical timing Iggy Home Repair 0 August 23rd 17 02:14 PM
Timing Circut Lee Cross Electronics 2 March 14th 04 09:37 PM
Radiator replacement timing Ronnie Gibson UK diy 3 January 8th 04 02:23 PM
Timing of the Lucy. mark Metalworking 1 December 29th 03 03:28 PM
Looking for source for 1/2 inch wide MXL timing belts Mark Metalworking 3 August 14th 03 11:23 PM