mark

Default Timing of the Lucy.

Hi all, I would just like to say thanks to whoever posted the link to
the acrylic Lucy steam engine plans, I have all the metal parts
finished, now I just have to wait for the Holidays to be over and the
plastic place to open again to get the acrylic.

Anyway, while looking at the plans for drilling the holes for the inlet
and exaust in large frame/block, its apparent that the intake and exaust
are not symmetric, the steam port opens at about right where you would
expect it to, however the exaust opens WAY late. I also notice that
both the steam port, and the exaust port are close enough together that
the cylinder port is open to both of them at the same time, and for
considerable duration! Is this common for this type engine? I can
understand "advancing" the timing to some extent, but this one makes no
sense. Does anyone have any ideas why its like that? Also other pages
reference it as a not quite stellar performer, does anyone have any
performance enhancements for it? I'm thinking the timing has room for
improvement.

thanks, mark

Ron Thompson

I am not familiar with that engine but I suspect it is an oscillator that
turns in only one direction. Are your timing assumptions for the correct
direction of rotation?
I am new to steam engines and this may be off in left field.GRIN

--

Ron Thompson
Was On the Beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast,

http://www.plansandprojects.com

'If you're standing in a puddle, don't touch anything that hums'
From the Red Green show