Posted to alt.home.repair

Default outdoor sign material

Hi,

Our homeowner's organization wants to mount a name sign on our community house. Maybe 4ft wide by 2ft high. I had suggested a commercially made sign printed on the usual aluminum/composite board, typical of most stores and commercial establishments. But others want a more hand-made feel and suggested a wood-lettered sign mounted on a board. I understand their intention, but think that a hand-made sign would be a maintenance headache, having to repaint or reseal it annually. Regardless, if we went with something hand-made, what would be a good material?
Maybe individual letters cut from plastic lumber via a jigsaw (and glued to a board)?
Would that get too messy because the letters would melt and fray as they're cut?

All suggestions appreciated.

Regards,
Theodore
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to millinghill, Iggy wrote:
The right exterior Woods are okay, but you're right about the conventional
sealing products being extremely poor. I've had wonderful As-Advertised
results with One-Time Wood Protector. See: http://onetimewood.com/ If the sign
would be in direct sunlight, then you'd get 7-years per treatment of One-Time.
But, if your Plastic Lumber idea catches on, don't worry. Anything that's
cut-out would need to be filed and sanded to be presentable, even if rustic is
the goal.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...l-1141880-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

On 8/21/2017 10:05 PM, wrote:
[...]

My suggestion is to let the others handle it. No matter what you end up
with, some will not like the result.

Where I worked we had a hand painted sign made, Fifteen years later, it
still looks good and only had two coats of clear applied over the years.
Sign makers use high quality paints for that reason.

You may find it cheaper in the long run to have a pro do it. Then there
is someone aside from you to get blamed when others don't like it.
There is always one person that will say they had a better idea.

+1 Ed is correct. You will blamed for everything.

--
Tekkie