UK diy (uk.d-i-y) For the discussion of all topics related to diy (do-it-yourself) in the UK. All levels of experience and proficency are welcome to join in to ask questions or offer solutions.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old May 5th 08, 09:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2006
Posts: 204
Default MDF or Plywood for outdoor sign.

I am about to put a sign outside a shop but don't want to spend 100's

A guy I know can print us a banner, stick it to just about anything and then
laminate it.

I have MDF and plyboard at my disposal, which would be better for outdoor
use? It will be laminated but if weather could eventually get into it which
would be the better option?

Thanks!




  #2   Report Post  
Old May 5th 08, 09:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2007
Posts: 400
Default MDF or Plywood for outdoor sign.

R D S wrote:
I am about to put a sign outside a shop but don't want to spend 100's

A guy I know can print us a banner, stick it to just about anything and then
laminate it.

I have MDF and plyboard at my disposal, which would be better for outdoor
use? It will be laminated but if weather could eventually get into it which
would be the better option?

Thanks!



Waterproof ply aka marine ply
Mdf can be got that is moisture resistant (greenish colour) but WPB ply
will be best.
Bob
  #3   Report Post  
Old May 5th 08, 09:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 9,056
Default MDF or Plywood for outdoor sign.

Bob Minchin wrote:
R D S wrote:
I am about to put a sign outside a shop but don't want to spend 100's

A guy I know can print us a banner, stick it to just about anything
and then
laminate it.

I have MDF and plyboard at my disposal, which would be better for outdoor
use? It will be laminated but if weather could eventually get into it
which
would be the better option?

Thanks!



Waterproof ply aka marine ply
Mdf can be got that is moisture resistant (greenish colour) but WPB ply
will be best.
Bob


Mmm. I would steer clear of wood altogether.

Acrlyic, aluminium, steel..foam board even..
  #4   Report Post  
Old May 5th 08, 09:43 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2006
Posts: 204
Default MDF or Plywood for outdoor sign.


"The Natural Philosopher" wrote in message
...
Bob Minchin wrote:
R D S wrote:
I am about to put a sign outside a shop but don't want to spend 100's

A guy I know can print us a banner, stick it to just about anything and
then
laminate it.

I have MDF and plyboard at my disposal, which would be better for
outdoor
use? It will be laminated but if weather could eventually get into it
which
would be the better option?

Thanks!



Waterproof ply aka marine ply
Mdf can be got that is moisture resistant (greenish colour) but WPB ply
will be best.
Bob


Mmm. I would steer clear of wood altogether.

Acrlyic, aluminium, steel..foam board even..


Fair enough, any recommendations of where to get the above from would be
appreciated while I go off and google.


  #5   Report Post  
Old May 5th 08, 10:08 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jan 2008
Posts: 12,005
Default MDF or Plywood for outdoor sign.

On Mon, 5 May 2008 20:10:04 +0100, R D S wrote:

I have MDF and plyboard at my disposal,


WBP or marine ply. They ain't the same stuff, marine has a higher price
tag but for your use WBP (water and boil prooof) will be fine. There are
some bits of 18 mm WBP that have been kicking about outside with not
treatment or protection, lent against a wall so one end (now) in the
ground and they haven't delaminated yet.

MDF will just fall apart if any damp gets into it.

--
Cheers
Dave.





  #6   Report Post  
Old May 6th 08, 05:32 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 9,561
Default MDF or Plywood for outdoor sign.

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 5 May 2008 20:10:04 +0100, R D S wrote:


I have MDF and plyboard at my disposal,


WBP or marine ply. They ain't the same stuff, marine has a higher price
tag but for your use WBP (water and boil prooof) will be fine. There are
some bits of 18 mm WBP that have been kicking about outside with not
treatment or protection, lent against a wall so one end (now) in the
ground and they haven't delaminated yet.

MDF will just fall apart if any damp gets into it.

--
Cheers
Dave.


MDF becomes a soft almost mushy material when wet through.


NT
  #7   Report Post  
Old May 6th 08, 10:09 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Dec 2006
Posts: 286
Default MDF or Plywood for outdoor sign.


"R D S" wrote in message
...
I am about to put a sign outside a shop but don't want to spend 100's

A guy I know can print us a banner, stick it to just about anything and

then
laminate it.

I have MDF and plyboard at my disposal, which would be better for outdoor
use? It will be laminated but if weather could eventually get into it

which
would be the better option?

Thanks!




Ebay for a Plastic/Perspex material,there are more sellers than this...just
search perspex on ebay.
What size do you need? this material will be your best bet.
http://tinyurl.com/4m7nae


  #8   Report Post  
Old May 6th 08, 10:23 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Feb 2008
Posts: 74
Default MDF or Plywood for outdoor sign.

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Mmm. I would steer clear of wood altogether.


We had a Ply sign up for several years and only changed it when the shop
created enough money and our Logo changed.

the sign was cut in 2 peices from a sheet of 18mm marine ply IIRC.

Painted with regular silk vynal paint as used inside the shop then the
logo and letters were up-scaled and printed in reverse on A4 sheets on
an inkjet printer.
Pages were then turned face-side down on the board and traced through
leaving an outline of letters the right way round on the board for
filing in.

Whole lot was then given several coats of a clear varnish (might have
been marine or floor grade whichever was the clearest)

Job done.

Then we had a foamex/vynal board/letters which faded quickly and was a
bit crap all round but lasted for another 3 years or more until we
forked out for acrylic sign with light-box.

Quality of sign depends on funds avasilable at the time, but even a
basic ply sign will get the message across well.

Our Logo and sign design has changed significantly with each version so
no point forkig out big money for a fancy sign in the first years of
business when for a new business it will alomost certainly need revision
and re-design as the business evolves.

IMHO

Current sign reflects the fact that we are a significant entity on the
interweb these days. (top left image) http://www.gymratz.co.uk

Cheers
Pete
  #9   Report Post  
Old May 6th 08, 10:40 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Dec 2006
Posts: 286
Default MDF or Plywood for outdoor sign.


"www.GymRatZ.co.uk" wrote in
message ...
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Mmm. I would steer clear of wood altogether.


We had a Ply sign up for several years and only changed it when the shop
created enough money and our Logo changed.

the sign was cut in 2 peices from a sheet of 18mm marine ply IIRC.

Painted with regular silk vynal paint as used inside the shop then the
logo and letters were up-scaled and printed in reverse on A4 sheets on
an inkjet printer.
Pages were then turned face-side down on the board and traced through
leaving an outline of letters the right way round on the board for
filing in.

Whole lot was then given several coats of a clear varnish (might have
been marine or floor grade whichever was the clearest)

Job done.

Then we had a foamex/vynal board/letters which faded quickly and was a
bit crap all round but lasted for another 3 years or more until we
forked out for acrylic sign with light-box.

Quality of sign depends on funds avasilable at the time, but even a
basic ply sign will get the message across well.

Our Logo and sign design has changed significantly with each version so
no point forkig out big money for a fancy sign in the first years of
business when for a new business it will alomost certainly need revision
and re-design as the business evolves.

IMHO

Current sign reflects the fact that we are a significant entity on the
interweb these days. (top left image) http://www.gymratz.co.uk

Cheers
Pete


Thing is if you'd have used a bit of logic first&formost you would ve saved
the penny's ie two 3mm thick perspex sheets drilled at 4 corners and cut to
size.
The Logo could have been printed out and laminated then sandwiched between
the two sheets of perspex and sign changed at any time during the course of
the buisness.


  #10   Report Post  
Old May 6th 08, 11:31 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Feb 2008
Posts: 74
Default MDF or Plywood for outdoor sign.

George wrote:

Thing is if you'd have used a bit of logic first&formost you would ve saved
the penny's ie two 3mm thick perspex sheets drilled at 4 corners and cut to
size.
The Logo could have been printed out and laminated then sandwiched between
the two sheets of perspex and sign changed at any time during the course of
the buisness.


Sounds like a bit of a nightmare.
Firstly you would have eater ingress between perspex & laminated sheet.
secondly, 2 x 3mm perspex sheets would need a lot of fixing points and
would be too easy to crack, whereas Ply was just dripp through @ Screw.

I would have no hesitation recommending Plywood again.
Actaully better than our foamex experiences bot Acrylic rules if funds
allow.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Running outdoor Christmas lights without an outdoor outlet PM Home Repair 5 December 17th 06 05:12 AM
Outdoor Tiling on Plywood based deck Help!!! MIS Home Ownership 0 July 29th 05 12:52 PM
Highway Sign control by Digital Sign Plexaglass Electronics Repair 0 November 23rd 04 08:04 PM
Painted Plywood for Outdoor Planter? Tiny Tim Woodworking 3 May 25th 04 07:02 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017