Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Frigidaire 10,000 BTU window airconditioner.

I had a so called professional installer do the installation. He installed it
with an extreme tilt to the outside. Looks like at least 2 or 3 times what
the instructions call for. This concernes me because water does not drain
from the drain hole, it over flows from the opposite side of the unit. I'm
also concerned that this extreme tilt may effect the opration of the unit.
Should I have the installer return and do the job right? I hope that someone
can answer these questions for me. Thanks, Jim

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...r-1140777-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/12/2017 11:14 AM, James J Guinane wrote:
I had a so called professional installer do the installation. He
installed it
with an extreme tilt to the outside. Looks like at least 2 or 3 times what
the instructions call for. This concernes me because water does not drain
from the drain hole, it over flows from the opposite side of the unit. I'm
also concerned that this extreme tilt may effect the opration of the
unit. Should I have the installer return and do the job right? I hope
that someone
can answer these questions for me. Thanks, Jim

No water should be draining. Properly leveled the water is slung to the
condenser coil where it evaporates. The guy did a crappy job.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 11:44:51 AM UTC-4, Stormin' Norman wrote:
On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 15:14:02 GMT, James J Guinane
m wrote:

I had a so called professional installer do the installation. He installed it
with an extreme tilt to the outside. Looks like at least 2 or 3 times what
the instructions call for. This concernes me because water does not drain
from the drain hole, it over flows from the opposite side of the unit. I'm
also concerned that this extreme tilt may effect the opration of the unit.
Should I have the installer return and do the job right? I hope that someone
can answer these questions for me. Thanks, Jim

Proper tilt is important for modern window A/C units as they make use
of the condensate to assist the condenser cool down the refrigerant.

You can measure the tilt with a very inexpensive inclinometer, such
as:

https://www.harborfreight.com/dial-g...der-34214.html

Or with a smartphone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/12/2017 8:14 AM, James J Guinane wrote:
I had a so called professional installer do the installation. He
installed it
with an extreme tilt to the outside. Looks like at least 2 or 3 times what
the instructions call for. This concernes me because water does not drain
from the drain hole, it over flows from the opposite side of the unit. I'm
also concerned that this extreme tilt may effect the opration of the
unit. Should I have the installer return and do the job right? I hope
that someone
can answer these questions for me. Thanks, Jim

Is there a simple adjustable bracket supporting the outside? Adjust that
as needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

On 8/12/2017 11:14 AM, James J Guinane wrote:
I had a so called professional installer do the installation. He
installed it
with an extreme tilt to the outside. Looks like at least 2 or 3 times what
the instructions call for. This concernes me because water does not drain
from the drain hole, it over flows from the opposite side of the unit. I'm
also concerned that this extreme tilt may effect the opration of the
unit. Should I have the installer return and do the job right? I hope
that someone
can answer these questions for me. Thanks, Jim

No water should be draining. Properly leveled the water is slung to the
condenser coil where it evaporates. The guy did a crappy job.

To OP, I am unclear as to this: is the water coming inside? Have the
installer come back as Ed is spot on.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 2:26:40 PM UTC-4, Tekkie® wrote:
[...]

It sounds to me that it has an extreme tilt toward the outside. And I think the posters who say modern ones rely on the fan tossing some water up to help with the cooling are probably right. The install manual should spec the tilt.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 11:55:22 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

No water should be draining. Properly leveled the water is slung to the
condenser coil where it evaporates. The guy did a crappy job.

Thanks. I did not know this. I have a similar window unit in my kitchen that drips into a bucket on the porch that I empty daily. I need to take a closer look.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 14-Aug-17 8:37 AM, Thomas wrote:
On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 11:55:22 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

No water should be draining. Properly leveled the water is slung to the
condenser coil where it evaporates. The guy did a crappy job.

Thanks. I did not know this. ...

That's true up to a point -- there's a drain hole there for a reason...

If there's sufficient humidity in air there can easily be more
condensate than the condensor will evaporate so you'll get condensate
draining...

If OP's is tilted so badly it overruns the lip of the bottom case as he
indicates, probably either the drain is plugged or there's a sideways
tilt or other obstruction preventing condensate from going out the drain
but is pooling at the low spot. The lip would have to be higher than
the drain which seems incredible or perhaps there are obstructions
between that act as dam preventing the flow...

Either way, the condensate beyond what the condensor _can_ evaporate
should go out the drain hole...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/14/2017 11:13 AM, dpb wrote:
On 14-Aug-17 8:37 AM, Thomas wrote:
On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 11:55:22 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

No water should be draining. Properly leveled the water is slung to the
condenser coil where it evaporates. The guy did a crappy job.

Thanks. I did not know this. ...

That's true up to a point -- there's a drain hole there for a reason...

Nope.

If there's sufficient humidity in air there can easily be more
condensate than the condensor will evaporate so you'll get condensate
draining...

If OP's is tilted so badly it overruns the lip of the bottom case as he
indicates, probably either the drain is plugged or there's a sideways
tilt or other obstruction preventing condensate from going out the drain
but is pooling at the low spot. The lip would have to be higher than
the drain which seems incredible or perhaps there are obstructions
between that act as dam preventing the flow...

Either way, the condensate beyond what the condensor _can_ evaporate
should go out the drain hole...

--

I have a 10,000 BTU Frigidaire air conditioner. There is no drain hole.
If the installer made a drain hole he owes her a new AC.

Mine barely has pith and it never drips.