Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Seeking advice for refinishing a wood floor....

Hi,
My kitchen/living room has a wood floor that is showing wear. Primarily from my dog who splatters water all around when he drinks. The clear finish is worn away in many places and in those areas there is a dark stain of some kind.
See image..
https://ibb.co/fhrFRa
I try to tackle jobs like this myself but I've never refinished floors before. Can you to buy or rent some kind of push sander that will take off a uniform layer of wood? Can you buy a bleach solution that will get rid of any black stain that runs deeper? And then how would you go about refinishing? Would just brushing on a coat of clear finish end up looking professional?
Or is is just better to hire a pro for this job?
Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 3, 2017 at 9:53:49 AM UTC-5, wrote:

Hi,
My kitchen/living room has a wood floor that is showing wear. Primarily from my dog who splatters water all around when he drinks. The clear finish is worn away in many places and in those areas there is a dark stain of some kind.
See image..
https://ibb.co/fhrFRa
I try to tackle jobs like this myself but I've never refinished floors before. Can you to buy or rent some kind of push sander that will take off a uniform layer of wood? Can you buy a bleach solution that will get rid of any black stain that runs deeper? And then how would you go about refinishing? Would just brushing on a coat of clear finish end up looking professional?
Or is is just better to hire a pro for this job?
Thanks!

Hire a pro as you most likely won't be able to just spot sand without
it looking like it's been spot sanded.

Put some sort of mat down so the dog doesn't dribble water everywhere.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/3/2017 10:53 AM, wrote:
Hi,
My kitchen/living room has a wood floor that is showing wear. Primarily from my dog who splatters water all around when he drinks. The clear finish is worn away in many places and in those areas there is a dark stain of some kind.
See image..
https://ibb.co/fhrFRa
I try to tackle jobs like this myself but I've never refinished floors before. Can you to buy or rent some kind of push sander that will take off a uniform layer of wood? Can you buy a bleach solution that will get rid of any black stain that runs deeper? And then how would you go about refinishing? Would just brushing on a coat of clear finish end up looking professional?
Or is is just better to hire a pro for this job?
Thanks!

Ypu can rent sanders. Keep in mind, if you don't have the skill level
to do this right you can damage the floors to the point a pro will not
easily repair it. Last time I did it was 40 yers ago. Today I'd hire a
pro. It is possible to bleach the stains, but I don't know enough to
tell you how.

You cannot do just a section and have it look good. Plan on doing the
entire room and finishing, usually a couple of coats of polyurethane

Get a waterproof mat for the dog bowl.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 3 Aug 2017 07:53:43 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Hi,
My kitchen/living room has a wood floor that is showing wear. Primarily from my dog who splatters water all around when he drinks. The clear finish is worn away in many places and in those areas there is a dark stain of some kind.
See image..
https://ibb.co/fhrFRa
I try to tackle jobs like this myself but I've never refinished floors before. Can you to buy or rent some kind of push sander that will take off a uniform layer of wood? Can you buy a bleach solution that will get rid of any black stain that runs deeper? And then how would you go about refinishing? Would just brushing on a coat of clear finish end up looking professional?
Or is is just better to hire a pro for this job?
Thanks!

I had my oak floors sanded about 10 years ago. I thought the dog **** stains would be a
problem, but after sanding they were gone.
I estimate they took off less than 1/16" of wood
I had them put 2 coats of semi-gloss polyurethane varnish on it and it still looks good.
Expect any nail or staple holes where the nails or staples got wet to show as black spots.
Hardly noticeable on my floors.
It had wall-to-wall carpeting for a long time before I bought the house, and carpet
installers don't think twice about driving nails and staples in expensive flooring.
Around here it's cheap (or was) to have it done by "professional" immigrant crews.
I used a Polish crew recommended by a son who had used them for his floors.
It cost me 400 bucks for about 600 sq ft.
They used a large pad to apply the poly. No brushes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/3/2017 10:53 AM, wrote:
Hi,
My kitchen/living room has a wood floor that is showing wear. Primarily from my dog who splatters water all around when he drinks. The clear finish is worn away in many places and in those areas there is a dark stain of some kind.
See image..
https://ibb.co/fhrFRa
I try to tackle jobs like this myself but I've never refinished floors before. Can you to buy or rent some kind of push sander that will take off a uniform layer of wood? Can you buy a bleach solution that will get rid of any black stain that runs deeper? And then how would you go about refinishing? Would just brushing on a coat of clear finish end up looking professional?
Or is is just better to hire a pro for this job?
Thanks!

Per other's advice, hire a pro. If you've never used a floor sander, I
wouldn't try it now on something you want done properly. No way you'll
match with spot sanding or bleaching. It's best to do the entire floor.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.suicide.methods,alt.messianic

Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:
On 8/3/2017 7:53 AM, wrote:
Hi,
My kitchen/living room has a wood floor that is showing wear.

Go sit on a pickle, rubber lips.

Don't worry about it when the time comes just sell yer house to a
****ing Chink! They can't even see past their own nose.