Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Exterior Stain or Paint?

Anyone have first hand, personal experience with the desirability of
exterior stain versus paint? My primary concern is maximum protection
from the sun.

My inclination is to think that paint would have to be superior, but,
there are a lot of variables to consider.

Thoughts?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2017 10:50 AM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
Anyone have first hand, personal experience with the desirability of
exterior stain versus paint? My primary concern is maximum protection
from the sun.

My inclination is to think that paint would have to be superior, but,
there are a lot of variables to consider.

Thoughts?

Depends on what in particular you are protecting. Window trim is
painted. I'd never use paint on a deck. On some of my wood furniture
made from cypress, Spanish oak and mahogany, I use Penofin oil
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 2, 2017 at 11:03:37 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/2/2017 10:50 AM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
Anyone have first hand, personal experience with the desirability of
exterior stain versus paint? My primary concern is maximum protection
from the sun.

My inclination is to think that paint would have to be superior, but,
there are a lot of variables to consider.

Thoughts?

Depends on what in particular you are protecting. Window trim is
painted. I'd never use paint on a deck. On some of my wood furniture
made from cypress, Spanish oak and mahogany, I use Penofin oil

+1

In terms of stopping UV penetration it would also depend on what kind of
stain. Solid I would think would be about as effective as paint, blocking
100%. Transparent stain, I would suspect might be less. One huge difference
is that with stain you have choices that allow the grain of the wood to
show to varying extent. If you get to solid stain, then it's similar to
paint, except it doesn't form as much of a film surface, which is an
advantage because it's less likely to peel. For something like cedar
siding, I'd always go with a stain. It just slowly wears off over many
years, I've never had it peel, while I have had paint peel on the trim.
LAst time I used Benjamin Moore and it was a great product.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 Aug 2017 11:03:30 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 8/2/2017 10:50 AM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
Anyone have first hand, personal experience with the desirability of
exterior stain versus paint? My primary concern is maximum protection
from the sun.

My inclination is to think that paint would have to be superior, but,
there are a lot of variables to consider.

Thoughts?

Depends on what in particular you are protecting. Window trim is
painted. I'd never use paint on a deck. On some of my wood furniture
made from cypress, Spanish oak and mahogany, I use Penofin oil

The immediate need is for a yet-to-be-built 20'x30' x15' (h) equipment
storage building.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 2, 2017 at 1:14:34 PM UTC-4, Stormin' Norman wrote:
On Wed, 2 Aug 2017 11:03:30 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 8/2/2017 10:50 AM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
Anyone have first hand, personal experience with the desirability of
exterior stain versus paint? My primary concern is maximum protection
from the sun.

My inclination is to think that paint would have to be superior, but,
there are a lot of variables to consider.

Thoughts?

Depends on what in particular you are protecting. Window trim is
painted. I'd never use paint on a deck. On some of my wood furniture
made from cypress, Spanish oak and mahogany, I use Penofin oil

The immediate need is for a yet-to-be-built 20'x30' x15' (h) equipment
storage building.

For the siding I presume? What kind of siding? Put vinyl on it and avoid
the maintenance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2017 1:14 PM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
On Wed, 2 Aug 2017 11:03:30 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 8/2/2017 10:50 AM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
Anyone have first hand, personal experience with the desirability of
exterior stain versus paint? My primary concern is maximum protection
from the sun.

My inclination is to think that paint would have to be superior, but,
there are a lot of variables to consider.

Thoughts?

Depends on what in particular you are protecting. Window trim is
painted. I'd never use paint on a deck. On some of my wood furniture
made from cypress, Spanish oak and mahogany, I use Penofin oil

The immediate need is for a yet-to-be-built 20'x30' x15' (h) equipment
storage building.

Aluminum siding
Vinyl siding
Paint if it is T1-11 (every 10 years)
Stain if cedar shakes
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 Aug 2017 14:05:06 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

After considering a number of different factors, I might just buy a
steel building.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2017 2:21 PM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
[...]

Given the size, it may be the best bet. They are painted but it will
last a very long time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 Aug 2017 14:35:12 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

Yes, and even though we are quite close to the Pacific ocean, we have
very few problems with rust. UV rays are becoming more and more of a
problem however, so wood is becoming less and less desireable on the
outside of a structure.