mel

Default blinds- wood vs 'faux' or vinyl

I am looking for blinds for a window that gets quite a bit of sun/heat.
Although not much moisture, if any.
Against my better judgment, I went shopping around yesterday with mixed
results ...
Salesperson at Lowe's said "definitely faux wood blinds .. the real wood
will warp!"
Salesperson at Penneys said "You need wood blinds absolutely; the vinyl or
faux will sag"

Anyone know the truth ??
thanks,
mel

Pat

Bob

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 09:47:05 -0500, "mel"
wrote:

I am looking for blinds for a window that gets quite a bit of sun/heat.
Although not much moisture, if any.
Against my better judgment, I went shopping around yesterday with mixed
results ...
Salesperson at Lowe's said "definitely faux wood blinds .. the real wood
will warp!"
Salesperson at Penneys said "You need wood blinds absolutely; the vinyl or
faux will sag"

Anyone know the truth ??
thanks,
mel

Preparation and proper installation (and maintenance) of the wood
will keep it from warping. But vinyl/faux is easier.

xrongor

vinyl will sag, but at the same time you can find cheap ones for 5-10 bucks
on sale so you could replace them several times before they would be cheaper
than wood.

i think the real question is how dark do you want it. vinyl ones dont make
it dark, they just stop people from spying on you.

randy

"mel" wrote in message
I am looking for blinds for a window that gets quite a bit of sun/heat.
Although not much moisture, if any.
Against my better judgment, I went shopping around yesterday with mixed
results ...
Salesperson at Lowe's said "definitely faux wood blinds .. the real wood
will warp!"
Salesperson at Penneys said "You need wood blinds absolutely; the vinyl or
faux will sag"

Anyone know the truth ??
thanks,
mel

rosie read and post

what brand are your faux wood blinds?

"Pat" wrote in message ...
I have the faux wood ( vinyl) 2 inch blinds on every window in my house.
They have been there for 3 years. No sagging. I use to have the steel
Levelor mini blinds , they bend and were a mess.

My house gets lots of sun. this is Florida
faces west and right now it is about 93 degrees outside. Never have had
a problem with these blinds at all. And real easy to clean, just take
them outside and hose them off. Real wood blinds you have to wax .

Hope this helps.

Pat

Pat

Colbyt

"mel" wrote in message
I am looking for blinds for a window that gets quite a bit of sun/heat.
Although not much moisture, if any.
Against my better judgment, I went shopping around yesterday with mixed
results ...
Salesperson at Lowe's said "definitely faux wood blinds .. the real wood
will warp!"
Salesperson at Penneys said "You need wood blinds absolutely; the vinyl or
faux will sag"

Anyone know the truth ??
thanks,
mel

I am in the business as an installer for 18 years now.

Custom made faux wood blinds should cost half what real wood blinds cost.
You will get some warping in real wood blinds no matter the brand, price or
warranty.
Real wood may chip or even peel the paint over time with adverse conditions.
Faux wood the color goes all the way though. Custom blinds don't sag. Those
cheap suckers at Penny's do sag so that salesperson told the truth.
Faux wood weights about 60% more than real wood avoid blinds over 48" (36"
best)

I have 23 of the real woods in my home because the faux product was not
available the time of purchase. If I were buying today I would buy the faux
wood from Lafayette Blinds, a fabricator using the better Hunter Douglas
product line. All Hunter Douglas are not equal. They have several
different levels of parts that the fabricators can buy.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to mel, Dianne Phelps wrote:
The vinyl does sag and eventually break