Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Aluminum Corrosion

Does anyone have first hand, personal experience removing and
neutralizing corrosion on cast aluminum?

I was given a never used, 3 year old pressure washer, 3k psi, 190cc
(6hp) Honda engine. The unit was stored in a garage that was about
200 yards from the pacific ocean.

The owner could not crank the engine and didn't want to be bothered
with it. Upon examination I discovered a fair amount of surface
corrosion on the flywheel and some of the cooling fins on the
crankcase and cylinder housing.

After knocking off the corrosion from the flywheel, removing the spark
plug and inspecting the cylinder I am able to easily crank the engine
by hand.

I would like to completely remove all the corrosion and neutralize it.
I remember the air crews using soft wire wheels, phosphoric acid,
detergent and lots of clean water to deal with some aircraft
corrosion.

Does anyone have first hand experience dealing with this kind of
issue? If so, would you please share your knowledge?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/13/2017 7:22 PM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
[...]

The corrosion is actually oxidation. Depending on the severity you can
use SOS pads, vinegar, sodium hydroxide. Loctite makes a jelly you put
on and wash off. I've not used it but I saw the results a friend used
and it was ok.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 20:18:54 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

I have subsequently gotten some more information from the original
owner. Turns out he had the unit stored under a shelf that had some
drain cleaner on it. Apparently the container of drain cleaner
ruptured and dripped on the machine which is what caused the damage /
corrosion. I suppose you could call it oxidation, but that would be
akin to calling stage 4 cancer a minor medical issue.

So, now, I will neutralize the acid with a slurry of baking soda and
thoroughly clean the area.

The sodium hydroxide you mention is basically lye, which is a
component of a lot of drain cleaners, so, I will avoid that. The
Aluminum Jelly, by loctite, is basically phosphoric acid, as I
mentioned above.

I think a lot of neutralizing, scrubbing and protecting is the best I
will be able to do. Drain cleaner is nasty stuff.

Sounds like a good job and learning experience for one of the grand
kids.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 21:05:33 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 14 Jul 2017 00:28:08 +0000, Stormin' Norman
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

This looks like a very interesting product. $19 for a 12 oz spray can
on Amazon. Would you mind sharing your experiences with it?

It did a pretty good job cleaning up the cases on a Harley that was on
fire

So, you just sprayed it on the aluminum engine components and wiped it
off? Or you had to do a bunch of scrubbing? Or, it had to soak for a
while? Feel free to elaborate and let me know if there are question I
have not asked but should.....

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It took a little rubbing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin' Norman wrote:
[...]

Navel jelly is a bit stonger, more effective.

Greg

I think a lot of neutralizing, scrubbing and protecting is the best I
will be able to do. Drain cleaner is nasty stuff.

Sounds like a good job and learning experience for one of the grand
kids.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/13/2017 07:22 PM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
[...]

In addition to Boeshield mentioned by gfretwell, the following are also
used in the aluminum aircraft world:

ACF-5

https://www.amazon.com/Lear-Chemical.../dp/B000P1C8UO

CorrosionX

https://www.amazon.com/Corrosion-X-9.../dp/B003HFTI0S

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Jul 2017 04:26:45 -0400, Art
wrote:

[...]

Thank you very much!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Jul 2017 07:03:08 -0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

Stormin' Norman wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your input Greg.