Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin' Norman Stormin' Norman is offline

Default Aluminum Corrosion

On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 21:05:33 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 14 Jul 2017 00:28:08 +0000, Stormin' Norman
wrote:

On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 20:13:18 -0400,
wrote:

On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 23:22:37 +0000, Stormin' Norman
wrote:

Does anyone have first hand, personal experience removing and
neutralizing corrosion on cast aluminum?

I was given a never used, 3 year old pressure washer, 3k psi, 190cc
(6hp) Honda engine. The unit was stored in a garage that was about
200 yards from the pacific ocean.

The owner could not crank the engine and didn't want to be bothered
with it. Upon examination I discovered a fair amount of surface
corrosion on the flywheel and some of the cooling fins on the
crankcase and cylinder housing.

After knocking off the corrosion from the flywheel, removing the spark
plug and inspecting the cylinder I am able to easily crank the engine
by hand.

I would like to completely remove all the corrosion and neutralize it.
I remember the air crews using soft wire wheels, phosphoric acid,
detergent and lots of clean water to deal with some aircraft
corrosion.

Does anyone have first hand experience dealing with this kind of
issue? If so, would you please share your knowledge?

Boeshield

This looks like a very interesting product. $19 for a 12 oz spray can
on Amazon. Would you mind sharing your experiences with it?

It did a pretty good job cleaning up the cases on a Harley that was on
fire

So, you just sprayed it on the aluminum engine components and wiped it
off? Or you had to do a bunch of scrubbing? Or, it had to soak for a
while? Feel free to elaborate and let me know if there are question I
have not asked but should.....

Thanks.