Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Noise from the air return

On Thursday, December 23, 1999 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, FS wrote:
Hi, I've got an annoying problem with a vibrating noise that comes from
one of the air returns for my heat pump. The noise appeared after I
have been in the house for about 4 years.

Here's the facts:
1 - The sound appears any time the fan is running and the filter is in
place or something else is blocking air flow increasing vacuum.
2 - The sound disappears if the the opening is completely open. Lots of
fun for pinpointing the sound. The more vacuum the higher the pitch.
3 - Tracing the sound (I guess I can call it that) by ear definitely
has the loudest volume from that air intake (there are two). At the fan
unit in the basement the noise still appears to be from above.
4 - Most of the ductwork is encased by drywall.

Ive checked for anything loose and beat, banged and nailed hoping to
firm anything up, but Im out of ideas. I REALLY dont' want to tear out
walls.

Any suggestions would be appreciated,

Happy Holidays,

FS