Posted to alt.home.repair

Default noisy fresh water pipes question

Hi All,

We have a wood floor and a crawl space under the house.
We also have long runs of copper fresh water paper
in the crawl space.

When you turn on the water at one end of the house, the
pipes will shake at the other end and are rather
loud. If you run a tiny trickle of water on the outside
faucet, the pipes will start a harmonic resonance.
Also kind of noisy.

Now this is a "contractor's" house, mean no expense
was spared (meaning that sarcastic). There are not
a lot of hangers on the fresh water pipes. Would
more hangers improve the situation? Any other thoughts?

Many thanks,
-T

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/10/2017 6:48 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

We have a wood floor and a crawl space under the house.
We also have long runs of copper fresh water paper
in the crawl space.

When you turn on the water at one end of the house, the
pipes will shake at the other end and are rather
loud. If you run a tiny trickle of water on the outside
faucet, the pipes will start a harmonic resonance.
Also kind of noisy.

Now this is a "contractor's" house, mean no expense
was spared (meaning that sarcastic). There are not
a lot of hangers on the fresh water pipes. Would
more hangers improve the situation? Any other thoughts?

Many thanks,
-T

I would wait until after Halloween, so you can use the effects in your
haunted house.

After that, hangers should help keep the pipes from flopping around.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/10/2017 9:48 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

We have a wood floor and a crawl space under the house.
We also have long runs of copper fresh water paper
in the crawl space.

When you turn on the water at one end of the house, the
pipes will shake at the other end and are rather
loud. If you run a tiny trickle of water on the outside
faucet, the pipes will start a harmonic resonance.
Also kind of noisy.

Now this is a "contractor's" house, mean no expense
was spared (meaning that sarcastic). There are not
a lot of hangers on the fresh water pipes. Would
more hangers improve the situation? Any other thoughts?

Many thanks,
-T

Hangers can help, especially if the have a shock absorber holding the
tubing. Allow for expansion and contraction. If it is a long run it
may be a good idea to have an expansion loop in the line. Are you on a
well? Bringing 55 degree water on tubing that is sitting at 90 degrees
in the summer can make them move. Opposite if you turn on 130 degree
hot water in the winter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/10/2017 06:58 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
On 7/10/2017 6:48 PM, T wrote:
[...]

They are V shaped wires with the pipe in the bottom of the V
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/10/2017 07:13 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/10/2017 9:48 PM, T wrote:
[...]

Muni water from giant wells.

The hangers are "V" shaped with the pipe in the bottom of
the "V"