Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gauge for 100 ft. extension cord

I have an air compressor that uses 13.5 amps.

What gauge would I need for a 100 ft. extension cord ?

Thanks,
Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 Jun 2017 15:17:10 -0700 (PDT), Andy
wrote:

I have an air compressor that uses 13.5 amps.
What gauge would I need for a 100 ft. extension cord ?
Thanks,
Andy

.... depends on the voltage.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/6/2017 3:17 PM, Andy wrote:
I have an air compressor that uses 13.5 amps.

What gauge would I need for a 100 ft. extension cord ?

Thanks,
Andy

https://www.google.com/webhp?tbs=li:...ion+cord+gauge
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have an air compressor that uses 13.5 amps.

What gauge would I need for a 100 ft. extension cord ?

Thanks,
Andy

If the compressor operates on 110-120 volts AC. you could get away
with a 12 ga. x 100ft. extension cord. However, if it were me, I
would bite the bullet and get a 10 ga. cord, that way I would not be
concerned about the initial starting current draw of the motor AND I
would have a little excess capacity just in case I want to use a
second and third tool at the work site. For example, if you are spray
painting, you might want to use a 1/2 hp drill to mix a 5 gallon
bucket of paint while the compressor is running.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have an air compressor that uses 13.5 amps.
What gauge would I need for a 100 ft. extension cord ?
Thanks,
Andy

... depends on the voltage.
John T.

Nothing smaller than a 12, for sure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The reply from "Hub" that the voltage did not matter is wrong. If you had a supply voltage of 24 Volts, and a 10 Volt drop in the power cord, that would be pretty much a loser. The same 10 Volt drop at 120 Volts would not be an issue under reasonable circumstances.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 6, 2017 at 10:37:08 PM UTC-4, wrote:
The reply from "Hub" that the voltage did not matter is wrong. If you had a supply voltage of 24 Volts, and a 10 Volt drop in the power cord, that would be pretty much a loser. The same 10 Volt drop at 120 Volts would not be an issue under reasonable circumstances.

Agree, the effect you describe is correct. From a practical standpoint, he's likely talking about 120v and I'd go with 10g. I've seen plenty of motors struggle, overheat, trip breakers on smaller cords, while they run fine on a heavy one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/6/2017 5:17 PM, Andy wrote:
I have an air compressor that uses 13.5 amps.

What gauge would I need for a 100 ft. extension cord ?

Thanks,
Andy

A hundred feet of air hose is probably cheaper than a heavy gauge
cord that long ... just sayin' . Put a portable receiver tank on a tee
near where you're working to help with surge usage .

--

Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 Jun 2017 22:55:44 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

The reply from "Hub" that the voltage did not matter is wrong. If you had a supply voltage of 24 Volts, and a 10 Volt drop in the power cord, that would be pretty much a loser. The same 10 Volt drop at 120 Volts would not be an issue under reasonable circumstances.

You do not size it for a number of volts drop, you size it for a
percentage of the stating voltage drop. That is why you only need to
know the amps and distance.

But 1 5% drop on a 24 volt line would require a much heavier cord
than a 5% drop on a 240 volt line. - so yes, voltage matters a bit.
However, the aitr compressor is going to be either 120 or 240, so the
difference is significantly smaller.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.war.vietnam

Default ANDY WANTS TO KNOW ABOUT "Gauge for 100 ft. extension cord"

On 6/6/2017 3:17 PM, Andy wrote:
I have an air compressor that uses 13.5 amps.

What gauge would I need for a 100 ft. extension cord ?

Thanks,
Andy

Twelve inches should do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.war.vietnam

Checkmate! In article , burkesgurlz@std-
girls.com says...

On 6/6/2017 3:17 PM, Andy wrote:
I have an air compressor that uses 13.5 amps.

What gauge would I need for a 100 ft. extension cord ?

Thanks,
Andy

Twelve inches should do it.

ITYM 10 gauge, Kernel.

--
Another hand-crafted post from...
Checkmate

Please visit me at alt.checkmate, the new
go-to group for the discerning troll...

In loving memory of The Battle Kitten
May 2010-February 12, 2017

Posted to alt.war.vietnam,alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

On 6/7/2017 8:07 AM, Jack G wrote:
On Wednesday, June 7, 2017 at 7:01:20 AM UTC-7, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:
On 6/6/2017 3:17 PM, Andy wrote:
I have an air compressor that uses 13.5 amps.

What gauge would I need for a 100 ft. extension cord ?

Thanks,
Andy

Twelve inches should do it.

Why do you keep posting stories from alt.home.repair that are off topic?

It's the handyman in me, Jack.
Posted to alt.war.vietnam,alt.home.repair

On 6/6/2017 3:17 PM, Andy wrote:
I have an air compressor that uses 13.5 amps.

What gauge would I need for a 100 ft. extension cord ?

Thanks,
Andy

Twelve inches should do it.

Why do you keep posting stories from alt.home.repair that are off topic?

Why do you keep slurping little Eddie Burke..Snohomo Jackie?!?!