Posted to alt.home.repair

Default microhydroelectric power

Have any of you heard of microhydroelectric power? Do you know anyone
using it? Do you knwo anything about it?

I think it's this guy who has a hydroelectric generating station no
bigger than a big microwave oven in a little stream by his house.
https://www.homepower.com/articles/m...tric-evolution

His stream only runs some of the time, but mine runs 27/7/365. It's
only about 60 feet from the house. Burying the cable would be
difficult because there are an awful lot of rocks. I can barely
plant a flower. OTOH the cable guy had no trouble wiggling the cable
an inch or two into the ground. I just have to do the same thing 4 to
8 times.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-05-24, Micky wrote:
Have any of you heard of microhydroelectric power? Do you know anyone
using it? Do you knwo anything about it?

I watched a documentary about how ppl in the Nordic countries (or was
it Iceland?) now have the ability to start their own hydroelectric
plants on any running water on their land. Since there are so many
small streams/creeks cascading on their land, it's encouraged by the
govt and the landowners are making some extra pocket change. I forget
the name of the documentary. Sorry.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 11:02:04 AM UTC-4, Micky wrote:
Have any of you heard of microhydroelectric power? Do you know anyone
using it? Do you knwo anything about it?

I think it's this guy who has a hydroelectric generating station no
bigger than a big microwave oven in a little stream by his house.
https://www.homepower.com/articles/m...tric-evolution

His stream only runs some of the time, but mine runs 27/7/365. It's
only about 60 feet from the house. Burying the cable would be
difficult because there are an awful lot of rocks. I can barely
plant a flower. OTOH the cable guy had no trouble wiggling the cable
an inch or two into the ground. I just have to do the same thing 4 to
8 times.

Did you read this:

"My personal off-grid system includes two Harris hydro turbines. One is producing about 200 W at 24 VDC from 35 feet of head. The other is currently putting out about 1,000 W at 70 VDC from 110 feet of head into an OutBack Power Systems FLEXmax 80 MPPT charge controller."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/24/17 8:02 AM, Micky wrote:
Have any of you heard of microhydroelectric power? Do you know anyone
using it? Do you knwo anything about it?

I think it's this guy who has a hydroelectric generating station no
bigger than a big microwave oven in a little stream by his house.
https://www.homepower.com/articles/m...tric-evolution

His stream only runs some of the time, but mine runs 27/7/365. It's
only about 60 feet from the house. Burying the cable would be
difficult because there are an awful lot of rocks. I can barely
plant a flower. OTOH the cable guy had no trouble wiggling the cable
an inch or two into the ground. I just have to do the same thing 4 to
8 times.

you could always try alt.energy.homepower
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/24/17 10:02 AM, Micky wrote:
Have any of you heard of microhydroelectric power? Do you know anyone
using it? Do you knwo anything about it?

I think it's this guy who has a hydroelectric generating station no
bigger than a big microwave oven in a little stream by his house.
https://www.homepower.com/articles/m...tric-evolution
His stream only runs some of the time, but mine runs 27/7/365. It's
only about 60 feet from the house. Burying the cable would be
difficult because there are an awful lot of rocks. I can barely
plant a flower. OTOH the cable guy had no trouble wiggling the cable
an inch or two into the ground. I just have to do the same thing 4 to
8 times.

The government might have a problem with you doing anything to the
stream. It depends on the stream being navigable. Here's a start:
http://nationalrivers.org/river-fact-or-fiction.html
Add the Clean Water Act:
https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2015/05/27/epa-expands-clean-water-regulations
I don't know how the Clean Water Act's issues turned out. It
sounded as if they were pushing to regulate basic low spots in fields.
Could they have jurisdiction over a field if it has a spot that floods
once every few years? That sort of thing was the problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 May 2017 13:22:17 -0700, ZZyXX
wrote:

On 5/24/17 8:02 AM, Micky wrote:
Have any of you heard of microhydroelectric power? Do you know anyone
using it? Do you knwo anything about it?

I think it's this guy who has a hydroelectric generating station no
bigger than a big microwave oven in a little stream by his house.
https://www.homepower.com/articles/m...tric-evolution

His stream only runs some of the time, but mine runs 27/7/365. It's
only about 60 feet from the house. Burying the cable would be
difficult because there are an awful lot of rocks. I can barely
plant a flower. OTOH the cable guy had no trouble wiggling the cable
an inch or two into the ground. I just have to do the same thing 4 to
8 times.

you could always try alt.energy.homepower

I didn't know about that one. Sounds perfect. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 May 2017 05:26:10 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 5/24/17 10:02 AM, Micky wrote:
Have any of you heard of microhydroelectric power? Do you know anyone
using it? Do you knwo anything about it?

I think it's this guy who has a hydroelectric generating station no
bigger than a big microwave oven in a little stream by his house.
https://www.homepower.com/articles/m...tric-evolution
His stream only runs some of the time, but mine runs 27/7/365. It's
only about 60 feet from the house. Burying the cable would be
difficult because there are an awful lot of rocks. I can barely
plant a flower. OTOH the cable guy had no trouble wiggling the cable
an inch or two into the ground. I just have to do the same thing 4 to
8 times.

The government might have a problem with you doing anything to the
stream. It depends on the stream being navigable. Here's a start:

Well the ducks think it's navigable but they don't come very often.

http://nationalrivers.org/river-fact-or-fiction.html
Add the Clean Water Act:
https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2015/05/27/epa-expands-clean-water-regulations
I don't know how the Clean Water Act's issues turned out. It
sounded as if they were pushing to regulate basic low spots in fields.
Could they have jurisdiction over a field if it has a spot that floods
once every few years? That sort of thing was the problem.

Definitely.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 May 2017 10:19:04 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

After I posted. Another of my dreams crushed.

Power Co. owned power lines Andy & Carol Home Repair 7 October 13th 05 02:26 AM
Power Washer Power Saml Home Repair 10 October 12th 05 12:58 AM
__________ Samsung TXG2746 power cycling on power up.... Electronic Dahi Electronics Repair 2 September 12th 05 12:34 AM
X-Box power surge - blew out switching power supply [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 December 25th 04 02:33 PM
JVC NV-55BX4 will not power up with convergence power plugged in. Jason D. Electronics Repair 0 August 13th 04 04:03 AM