Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water heater failure modes

The wife called me this morning grousing because there was no hot water .
I'm down in Memphis getting a roof put on our house here , I haven't a clue
.... this W/H is only like 3 years old and doesn't see that much use with
just the 2 of us . We have low water pressure (****ty pressure regulator)
and every time we use much hot water we can hear the heating elements "sing"
, apparently because the water is boiling off the elements . We also have
very hard water , and I'm wondering if because of the low pressure and the
"singing" we've gotten a buildup of mineral deposits on the elements . I
think that may insulate them from heat transfer and has caused them to
overheat and burn out . I had her cycle the breaker in case it was tripped
(she is kinda clueless about these things , claims that's why she keeps me
....) and no joy . The only other possibility I can think of is a power
surge - the surge protecter I had on our phone line was blown - but none of
the electronicdevices were affected so I kinda doubt that .
I'm locked in here until this roofing project is finished , at least until
tuesday some time , let's hope she isn't waiting for me with a club when I
get home ...
--
Snag
sore and bewildered

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 7 May 2017 20:13:18 -0500, "Snags backup"
wrote:

[...]

Just give me your address again - I lost it -
I'll have her putting out hot & wet in no time.
Hardness is important, but - it's not everything.
The timing of the power surge might be the problem -
- if it doesn't coincide with the gentle tweaking of
the pressure regulation.
Always glad to help ;
Your best ahr friend.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

and every time we use much hot water we can hear the heating elements "sing"
, apparently because the water is boiling off the elements . We also have
very hard water , and I'm wondering if because of the low pressure and the
"singing" we've gotten a buildup of mineral deposits on the elements . I
think that may insulate them from heat transfer and has caused them to
overheat and burn out .

The hard water minerals most/may likely settle to the bottom of the
tank, harden and "cake" up. What you may be hearing, when water is
heating is the minerals start to "peculate" (boiling water) from the
tank bottom. Sort of a 'rumble' as the minerals break from the bottom
an circulate again. Hearing my last tank I said to myself -- self --
this WH is on its last leg. Got a new one installed on Super Bowl
Sunday. Lucky it sprang a leak the moment I walked into the garage and
could shut the water supply off at the ball valve. Good luck Minerals
are hard on water heaters here though I have a softener.
Posted to alt.home.repair

.
[...]

Now that was totally uncalled for . Just which troll is this doing the
spoofing ? I'm not so good at deciphering all that info .
Whoever you are , FOAD .
--
Snag
Crap like this is why usenet is losing ground .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 9:13:22 PM UTC-4, Snags backup wrote:
[...]

might be a bad breaker. water heater breakers carry high current. i checked out a friends tripping breaker. when i pulled the cover the breaker ws melting down.

new breaker solved the problem

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob haller" wrote in message
[...]

I considered the possibility of the breaker being bad as I was trying to
fall asleep last night . I can rob the one from the generator feed or swap
it with the one on the clothes dryer , both are 30A common trip . It's just
so frustrating , this kind of thing seems to always happen when I'm not
there to fix it . It'll have to wait until I get home , I know no one up
there that I trust to diagnose and repair the problem .
--
Snag , hoping the roofers show up soon .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 7:58:18 AM UTC-4, Snags backup wrote:
"bob haller" wrote in message
[...]

Or you could just measure at the breaker with a meter, without swapping
anything.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob haller" wrote in message
[...]

That was the first thing I planned on trying - just as soon as I get home
.. Being 175 miles away right now really sucks ... and the roofers are moving
along , but can't work in the heat of the afternoon . They don't want to
damage the shingles , and that's fine with me . Hoping they finish tomorrow
in time for me to go home , Memphis sucks . The dog is with me and he isn't
used to all the people and traffic , I think he's ready to go home to his
nice quiet woods too .

Posted to alt.home.repair

The wife called me this morning grousing because there was no hot
water .
I'm down in Memphis getting a roof put on our house here , I haven't a
clue
... this W/H is only like 3 years old and doesn't see that much use
with
just the 2 of us . We have low water pressure (****ty pressure
regulator)
and every time we use much hot water we can hear the heating elements
"sing"
, apparently because the water is boiling off the elements . We also
have
very hard water , and I'm wondering if because of the low pressure and
the
"singing" we've gotten a buildup of mineral deposits on the elements .

I once fixed a water heater for a friend.
The bottom element was so corroded that I had to finesse the curved folded
part straight to get it out.

The bottom of the tank was filled with what looked like chunks of rust
up way past the bottom element. That "insulation" allowed the water
at the element to boil and overheat the element.
Cleaned out the gunk, replaced the element. Worked great. No more singing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote in message
news

[...]

This one has sang since day one and I've always thought it was because I
have the water pressure set kinda low - that pressure reg has "gone high" a
couple of times and popped the TPR on both the house w/h and the one in the
camper (camper has since been disconnected from the water supply) . It's
only around 3 years old , probably not enough time to get that much crud
built up on the bottom . With any luck the roof will be finished tomorrow
and I can get home to see what the problem is .
--
Snag

RCD Failure modes Andrew Mawson UK diy 4 March 3rd 11 02:30 PM
LCD Monitor failure modes ? Adrian Brentnall UK diy 33 February 20th 11 06:54 PM
PIR sensor failure modes John Rumm UK diy 2 July 5th 09 02:04 PM
failure modes of shellac [email protected] Woodworking 19 July 21st 05 01:55 AM
water pressure reducing valve failure modes? John Shaeffer Home Repair 1 February 7th 05 02:39 AM