Posted to alt.home.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default Water heater failure modes

The wife called me this morning grousing because there was no hot
water .
I'm down in Memphis getting a roof put on our house here , I haven't a
clue
... this W/H is only like 3 years old and doesn't see that much use
with
just the 2 of us . We have low water pressure (****ty pressure
regulator)
and every time we use much hot water we can hear the heating elements
"sing"
, apparently because the water is boiling off the elements . We also
have
very hard water , and I'm wondering if because of the low pressure and
the
"singing" we've gotten a buildup of mineral deposits on the elements .

I once fixed a water heater for a friend.
The bottom element was so corroded that I had to finesse the curved folded
part straight to get it out.

The bottom of the tank was filled with what looked like chunks of rust
up way past the bottom element. That "insulation" allowed the water
at the element to boil and overheat the element.
Cleaned out the gunk, replaced the element. Worked great. No more singing.