Posted to alt.home.repair
Snags backup Snags backup is offline

Default Water heater failure modes

The wife called me this morning grousing because there was no hot water .
I'm down in Memphis getting a roof put on our house here , I haven't a clue
.... this W/H is only like 3 years old and doesn't see that much use with
just the 2 of us . We have low water pressure (****ty pressure regulator)
and every time we use much hot water we can hear the heating elements "sing"
, apparently because the water is boiling off the elements . We also have
very hard water , and I'm wondering if because of the low pressure and the
"singing" we've gotten a buildup of mineral deposits on the elements . I
think that may insulate them from heat transfer and has caused them to
overheat and burn out . I had her cycle the breaker in case it was tripped
(she is kinda clueless about these things , claims that's why she keeps me
....) and no joy . The only other possibility I can think of is a power
surge - the surge protecter I had on our phone line was blown - but none of
the electronicdevices were affected so I kinda doubt that .
I'm locked in here until this roofing project is finished , at least until
tuesday some time , let's hope she isn't waiting for me with a club when I
get home ...
--
Snag
sore and bewildered