Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GFCI Wall Tap?

Here's a link to a picture of a wall tap.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...words=wall+tap

My question is why don't they make these that will
screw into a GFCI receptacle like the one in the link
instead of just plugging into the existing?

I've seen a version at Home Depot that even have the
reset button on the front of the tap in case it trips
but none that are 'permanently' mounted.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 6:10:30 PM UTC-5, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

Corrected link, sorry.

https://www.amazon.com/GE-54947-Grou...words=wall+tap
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 May 2017 16:12:33 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote:

On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 6:10:30 PM UTC-5, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

Corrected link, sorry.

https://www.amazon.com/GE-54947-Grou...words=wall+tap

That isn't a GFCI, nor were the ones you linked to firdt. Exactly
WHAT are you looking for and why???
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/1/17 6:12 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 6:10:30 PM UTC-5, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

Corrected link, sorry.

https://www.amazon.com/GE-54947-Grou...words=wall+tap

It isn't really GFCI. It won't trip if there is an inbalance
between the hot and neutral wires. Grounded, yes. Or, maybe I'm
missing something obvious in the description.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 7:12:37 PM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 6:10:30 PM UTC-5, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

Corrected link, sorry.

https://www.amazon.com/GE-54947-Grou...words=wall+tap

Copied from OP:

"My question is why don't they make these that will
screw into a GFCI receptacle like the one in the link
instead of just plugging into the existing?"

How would you test and reset the underlying the GFCI? I guess they could
design a device that that had "plungers" or rods passed through the tap
ad operated the existing GFCI, but that sound like it would be prone to
failure/mishaps.

The do make a 5 receptacle GFCI tap to install in a standard duplex, but
I doubt that meet code since you would typically plug this into a standard
duplex which shouldn't be installed in an area where a GFCI is required.

https://www.amazon.com/Tower-Manufac.../dp/B01784Z7PI

And yes, I know that that is a plug in device, not screw-attached like the
one you linked to, another reason why I don't think it would meet code.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 7:46:56 PM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 5/1/17 6:12 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 6:10:30 PM UTC-5, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

Corrected link, sorry.

https://www.amazon.com/GE-54947-Grou...words=wall+tap

It isn't really GFCI. It won't trip if there is an inbalance
between the hot and neutral wires. Grounded, yes. Or, maybe I'm
missing something obvious in the description.

What you're missing is the intent of her question.

She wants a 6-receptacle tap that will screw-mount to a GFCI receptacle.

The device she linked to will screw mount to a standard duplex via the
center screw. (You remove the existing receptacle plate and replace it
with the tap.) She is looking for something similar that screw mounts to
a GFCI, but of course, we all know that a GFCI doesn't have a center screw.
A GCFI also has those pesky Test and Reset buttons.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 7:55:25 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Sorry for the sloppy post...I hit send way too soon. :-(
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 7:02:54 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 6:10:30 PM UTC-5, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

Corrected link, sorry.

https://www.amazon.com/GE-54947-Grou...words=wall+tap

It isn't really GFCI. It won't trip if there is an inbalance
between the hot and neutral wires. Grounded, yes. Or, maybe I'm
missing something obvious in the description.

What you're missing is the intent of her question.

She wants a 6-receptacle tap that will screw-mount to a GFCI receptacle.

The device she linked to will screw mount to a standard duplex via the
center screw. (You remove the existing receptacle plate and replace it
with the tap.) She is looking for something similar that screw mounts to
a GFCI, but of course, we all know that a GFCI doesn't have a center screw.
A GCFI also has those pesky Test and Reset buttons.

YES! YES! YES! That's exactly what I'm wanting. I
keep looking but all they have is the plug-in type for
GFCI receptacles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 8:23:17 PM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
[...]

Read my other post. I'm not saying that they don't exist, but *if* they don't, I believe that
I have explained why.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 7:27:57 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Read my other post. I'm not saying that they don't exist, but *if* they don't, I believe that
I have explained why.

I did and you're probably right. But that doesn't keep me
from hoping that one day a screw-in, safe, type will be
available. If you decide to go in business and make
these, I'll be your first customer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/1/17 7:02 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Suppose she put one GFCI upstream of this outlet wired in series.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 7:23:17 PM UTC-5, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
[...]

I think she just had an organism. \(^o^)/

[8~{} Uncle Silly Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 May 2017 17:05:09 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

Plug in a power bar - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 9:32:23 PM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:
[...]

Of course there are work-arounds, including upstream GFCI's and GFCI breakers.

I was simply addressing the specific question she asked.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 10:06:20 PM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

SWMBO were walking the dog the other evening. As we walked past a house
we heard a woman praying rather loudly.

Oh My God! Oh My God! Oh My God! OHHHH MYYYY GODDDDD!

Cousin Religious Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 8:02:54 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

+1

If you put one of those widgets in front of a GFCI, you'd have to
remove it to reset or test it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Dean Hoffman wrote:

On 5/1/17 7:02 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 7:46:56 PM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 5/1/17 6:12 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 6:10:30 PM UTC-5, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

Corrected link, sorry.

https://www.amazon.com/GE-54947-Grou...006IBFA/ref=sr
_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1493680286&sr=8-11&keywords=wall+tap

It isn't really GFCI. It won't trip if there is an inbalance
between the hot and neutral wires. Grounded, yes. Or, maybe I'm
missing something obvious in the description.

What you're missing is the intent of her question.
She wants a 6-receptacle tap that will screw-mount to a GFCI receptacle.

The device she linked to will screw mount to a standard duplex via the
center screw. (You remove the existing receptacle plate and replace it
with the tap.) She is looking for something similar that screw mounts to
a GFCI, but of course, we all know that a GFCI doesn't have a center screw.
A GCFI also has those pesky Test and Reset buttons.

Suppose she put one GFCI upstream of this outlet wired in series.

My garage has one GFCI outlet. It feeds several other plain outlets,
one of which is outdoors weatherproof. I think this is the way many
GFCI outlets were designed to be used. My one concern is that the
circuit might be overloaded with so many outlets from one breaker. (I
also have some 6-outlet adapters.)

Soon after the garage was rewired that way, I discovered the value of
GFCI. For an instant it has a slight tingle!

Fred