Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Installing GFCI outlet with 6 wires in wall

I have installed GFCIs in my house before but on this one outlet there
are six wires, not four. What do I do with the extra wires? there are
three cables total.

Harry K

With three cables, you should have 9 wires not 6. There should be a
ground wire with each cable. Will a GFCI even work without a ground
wire??

Harry K

Doug Miller

In article .com, "Harry K" wrote:
With three cables, you should have 9 wires not 6. There should be a
ground wire with each cable. Will a GFCI even work without a ground
wire??

Yes, it will. A GFCI senses the currents on the hot and neutral, and trips if
the difference exceeds a preset threshold for a preset duration. IIRC, the
threshold is typically 20mA for 10ms.
Harry K

Thanks, I had always wondered about that and will be putting one in the
shed (it is wired with the old 2-wire cable).

Harry K

Harry K wrote:
With three cables, you should have 9 wires not 6. There should be a
ground wire with each cable. Will a GFCI even work without a ground
wire??

Yes, in fact a GFCI is the NEC approved method of providing
a 3 prong outlet in a circuit with no ground wire. Really.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Converting wall scone to plug-in ? anita Home Repair 4 July 9th 04 03:16 PM
Radio Signal tool for tracing wires Tim Home Repair 7 November 1st 03 02:20 AM
Flex outlet for wall light Martin Pentreath UK diy 7 September 20th 03 01:35 AM
Wall falling down? Alex UK diy 8 August 29th 03 10:54 AM
Concrete retaining wall issue revisited jeff Home Ownership 1 August 20th 03 12:06 AM