Posted to alt.home.repair

Default County deck requirements

Had inquired here about Trex deck and correspondents my find this
enlightening:

http://www.nccde.org/DocumentCenter/Home/View/15475

Looks like building permits required for both taking down and erecting
new. Chuckled when I saw fee for volunteer fire company.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/30/2017 3:40 PM, Frank wrote:
Had inquired here about Trex deck and correspondents my find this
enlightening:

http://www.nccde.org/DocumentCenter/Home/View/15475

Looks like building permits required for both taking down and erecting
new. Chuckled when I saw fee for volunteer fire company.

Nice guide for the DIY guys. My deck would not meet code today for the
baluster spacing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/30/2017 8:19 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/30/2017 3:40 PM, Frank wrote:
Had inquired here about Trex deck and correspondents my find this
enlightening:

http://www.nccde.org/DocumentCenter/Home/View/15475

Looks like building permits required for both taking down and erecting
new. Chuckled when I saw fee for volunteer fire company.

Nice guide for the DIY guys. My deck would not meet code today for the
baluster spacing.

Important to know local building requirement. I have not checked all
counties here in DE but lower Sussex County is different from upper New
Castle County. Can be a real PITA.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/30/2017 03:40 PM, Frank wrote:
Had inquired here about Trex deck and correspondents my find this
enlightening:

http://www.nccde.org/DocumentCenter/Home/View/15475

Looks like building permits required for both taking down and erecting
new. Chuckled when I saw fee for volunteer fire company.

Our local building cash grab department says if the deck is attached to
the house (ledger board/rim joist), the deck requires permits, at least
one duplex electric outlet, an inspection and will add 2% value of deck
to yearly property taxes.

If not attached to house (free-standing on posts) then no permits
required, no electric, no inspection and is non-taxable.

Guess which method I used. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/1/2017 5:52 AM, Roger Cook wrote:
On 04/30/2017 03:40 PM, Frank wrote:
Had inquired here about Trex deck and correspondents my find this
enlightening:

http://www.nccde.org/DocumentCenter/Home/View/15475

Looks like building permits required for both taking down and erecting
new. Chuckled when I saw fee for volunteer fire company.

Our local building cash grab department says if the deck is attached to
the house (ledger board/rim joist), the deck requires permits, at least
one duplex electric outlet, an inspection and will add 2% value of deck
to yearly property taxes.

If not attached to house (free-standing on posts) then no permits
required, no electric, no inspection and is non-taxable.

Guess which method I used. ;-)

I went through an incident first year in the house when septic drain
field failed and we needed a 2nd field. County inspector came out,
glanced into my garage and noticed pull down stairs. I had put them
there to use attic space above garage for storage.

He went back, looked at plans for the house, and decided we had added a
loft or extra room and added it to our county taxes. I called his boss
to complain as it could not be used as a room and inspector had said
nothing to me to pull down stairs to look at it. They came out, looked
at it and had extra tax removed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 May 2017 05:52:47 -0400, Roger Cook
wrote:

On 04/30/2017 03:40 PM, Frank wrote:
Had inquired here about Trex deck and correspondents my find this
enlightening:

http://www.nccde.org/DocumentCenter/Home/View/15475

Looks like building permits required for both taking down and erecting
new. Chuckled when I saw fee for volunteer fire company.

Our local building cash grab department says if the deck is attached to
the house (ledger board/rim joist), the deck requires permits, at least
one duplex electric outlet, an inspection and will add 2% value of deck
to yearly property taxes.

If not attached to house (free-standing on posts) then no permits
required, no electric, no inspection and is non-taxable.

Guess which method I used. ;-)

Likewize.Not fastened makes it an auxiliary structure, basically the
same as a garden shed and not part of the house. At least up until a
few years ago there wasn't even a hight restricyion - the deck could
be 8 feet off the ground with no permit or inspection. You DID want to
make sure it met all code requirements as far as railings etc, because
a bylaw inspector COULD still look at it going by and say "not safe"
and force you to fix it or remove it - under property standards bylaws
if nothing else.