Posted to alt.home.repair

Default County deck requirements

On Mon, 1 May 2017 05:52:47 -0400, Roger Cook
wrote:

On 04/30/2017 03:40 PM, Frank wrote:
Had inquired here about Trex deck and correspondents my find this
enlightening:

http://www.nccde.org/DocumentCenter/Home/View/15475

Looks like building permits required for both taking down and erecting
new. Chuckled when I saw fee for volunteer fire company.

Our local building cash grab department says if the deck is attached to
the house (ledger board/rim joist), the deck requires permits, at least
one duplex electric outlet, an inspection and will add 2% value of deck
to yearly property taxes.

If not attached to house (free-standing on posts) then no permits
required, no electric, no inspection and is non-taxable.

Guess which method I used. ;-)

Likewize.Not fastened makes it an auxiliary structure, basically the
same as a garden shed and not part of the house. At least up until a
few years ago there wasn't even a hight restricyion - the deck could
be 8 feet off the ground with no permit or inspection. You DID want to
make sure it met all code requirements as far as railings etc, because
a bylaw inspector COULD still look at it going by and say "not safe"
and force you to fix it or remove it - under property standards bylaws
if nothing else.