Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 350 chevy motor

Quite a few decades ago I decided a pickup needed a new motor, so
I bought a rebuilt motor from Sears. I never got around to sending the
old motor back for a rebate, and it's been sitting in my garage since
then, in the crate.

I was thinking of taking it to a local auto salvage and seeing what they
will give me for it. I guess it's not a very popular engine anymore, but
I thought I would ask you what you think it's worth, so when I go there
I can know if I'm getting a good price.

What do you think the motor would be worth?

Posted to alt.home.repair

George Fields wrote:

Quite a few decades ago I decided a pickup needed a new motor, so
I bought a rebuilt motor from Sears. I never got around to sending the
old motor back for a rebate, and it's been sitting in my garage since
then, in the crate.

I was thinking of taking it to a local auto salvage and seeing what they
will give me for it. I guess it's not a very popular engine anymore, but
I thought I would ask you what you think it's worth, so when I go there
I can know if I'm getting a good price.

What do you think the motor would be worth?

Hard drive locked up, had to do a hard reboot. Didn't mean to send out
all those post.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Apr 2017 21:55:14 -0500, George Fields wrote:

Quite a few decades ago I decided a pickup needed a new motor, so
I bought a rebuilt motor from Sears. I never got around to sending the
old motor back for a rebate, and it's been sitting in my garage since
then, in the crate.

I was thinking of taking it to a local auto salvage and seeing what they
will give me for it. I guess it's not a very popular engine anymore, but
I thought I would ask you what you think it's worth, so when I go there
I can know if I'm getting a good price.

What do you think the motor would be worth?

A lot depends on why you replaced it but the reality is an old block
may not be worth much more than the ~3 cents a pound the iron is
worth. I would track down someone who rebuilds motors and ask them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

George Fields
Sat, 29 Apr 2017
02:55:14 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Quite a few decades ago I decided a pickup needed a new motor,
so I bought a rebuilt motor from Sears. I never got around to
sending the old motor back for a rebate, and it's been sitting in
my garage since then, in the crate.

I was thinking of taking it to a local auto salvage and seeing
what they will give me for it. I guess it's not a very popular
engine anymore, but I thought I would ask you what you think it's
worth, so when I go there I can know if I'm getting a good price.

What do you think the motor would be worth?

Is it a 4bolt main version, marine version, or the regular deal?

Posted to alt.home.repair

After serious thinking George Fields wrote :
Quite a few decades ago I decided a pickup needed a new motor, so
I bought a rebuilt motor from Sears. I never got around to sending the
old motor back for a rebate, and it's been sitting in my garage since
then, in the crate.

I was thinking of taking it to a local auto salvage and seeing what they
will give me for it. I guess it's not a very popular engine anymore, but
I thought I would ask you what you think it's worth, so when I go there
I can know if I'm getting a good price.

What do you think the motor would be worth?

What was the problem with the mouse motor you replaced? That engine is
still very popular and can be fun to rebuild as long as the block is
sound. The heads are replacable and are very inexpensive. I still have
a 350 mouse block on an engine stand sitting in the corner of My home
garage. I plan on rebuilding it and using aluminum heads to replace the
iron heads it came with.
Keep that mouse motor and rebuild it! You'll be surprised at how fast
it will be snached up!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Naturous news Apr 2017 18:33:36 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

[...]

Build that puppy, stick it in something small, fast fun, ride! If
going for an s10 v8 style, Use a square box style if you can find one
that's not rusted to pieces. The curvy style adds 600lbs right off
the bat.

They are great little engines, marine being the best in block style,
but, you'll hurt it if you just **** around at low rpms.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Naturous wrote:

[...]

It wasn't running too great. It only had around 35,000 miles on it. I
worked for a man who did a lot of mechanic work and I wanted to learn so
I ordered a four bolt main from sears and replaced the motor.

I don't know if the one that came out is a four bolt main. When it was
new and running good i raced a corvet on a four lane highway, where he
passed me giving me a look like, FU i've got a corvet. I passed him
like, I don't care what you've got. He kept passing me, I kept passing
him. Everytime I passed him, he looked at me like, what have you got in
that? I was driving an 82 Silverado pickup. We were neck and neck until
we came to a steep hill, then he left me in the dirt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

George Fields
Mon, 01 May 2017
02:48:25 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Naturous wrote:

[...]

Power to weight ratio issue. Your truck was actually metal w a full
frame, his was fiberglass. Your engine was having to carry a pile of
additional weight his didn't have. Not your trucks fault.

Posted to alt.home.repair

George Fields explained :
Naturous wrote:

[...]

Did you have fun? ^^
Keep the four bolt. I assume the four bolt is on a support rack or a
engine stand? Anyway you see it, it's worth money so check what it
sells for. Here is what people are getting for a small block 350 four
bolt block...
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/350-4-bolt-main-block