Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 350 chevy motor

Quite a few decades ago I decided a pickup needed a new motor, so
I bought a rebuilt motor from Sears. I never got around to sending the
old motor back for a rebate, and it's been sitting in my garage since
then, in the crate.

I was thinking of taking it to a local auto salvage and seeing what they
will give me for it. I guess it's not a very popular engine anymore, but
I thought I would ask you what you think it's worth, so when I go there
I can know if I'm getting a good price.

What do you think the motor would be worth?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Apr 2017 21:55:14 -0500, George Fields wrote:

What do you think the motor would be worth?

Post at least six more times so we can figure it out.

I prefer a 351 Cleveland.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren

wrote:

What do you think the motor would be worth?

Post at least six more times so we can figure it out.

I prefer a 351 Cleveland.

That's a ford motor... Do you prefer Ford over chevy, yourself?
I liken those comparisons to Mac Vs PC, myself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Apr 2017 21:55:14 -0500, George Fields wrote:

Quite a few decades ago I decided a pickup needed a new motor, so
I bought a rebuilt motor from Sears. I never got around to sending the
old motor back for a rebate, and it's been sitting in my garage since
then, in the crate.

I was thinking of taking it to a local auto salvage and seeing what they
will give me for it. I guess it's not a very popular engine anymore, but
I thought I would ask you what you think it's worth, so when I go there
I can know if I'm getting a good price.

What do you think the motor would be worth?

Depending what year it is from, if it is a 4 barrel 350 it could also
be a 4 bolt main block. As a rebuildable core it is worth pretty good
money to someone wanting to build a motor for a hot-rod, or as a
period correct restoration engine. They are getting harder to get
every year.A good bare block can go for over $1000,With a good
regrindable (or even better yet, useable as is) steel crank and a
good set of heads, considerably more. Look on E-Bay. Check the block
and head casting numbers on Google to see what you have - could be a
small gold mine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Diesel has brought this to us :

wrote:

What do you think the motor would be worth?

Post at least six more times so we can figure it out.

I prefer a 351 Cleveland.

That's a ford motor... Do you prefer Ford over chevy, yourself?
I liken those comparisons to Mac Vs PC, myself.

Don't forget the MOPAR! They are just as easy to rebuild as a mouse
motor and a small block Ford.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What do you think the motor would be worth?

Post at least six more times so we can figure it out.

I prefer a 351 Cleveland.

That's a ford motor... Do you prefer Ford over chevy, yourself?
I liken those comparisons to Mac Vs PC, myself.

Don't forget the MOPAR! They are just as easy to rebuild as a mouse
motor and a small block Ford.

Mopar is nice, but, get ready to drop some cash.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Quite a few decades ago I decided a pickup needed a new motor,
so I bought a rebuilt motor from Sears. I never got around to
sending the old motor back for a rebate, and it's been sitting in
my garage since then, in the crate.

I was thinking of taking it to a local auto salvage and seeing
what they will give me for it. I guess it's not a very popular
engine anymore, but I thought I would ask you what you think it's
worth, so when I go there I can know if I'm getting a good price.

What do you think the motor would be worth?

Depending what year it is from, if it is a 4 barrel 350 it could
also be a 4 bolt main block.

The carb and intake have NOTHING to do with the 4bolt main block. You
can easily 4barrel a 2bolt main block. Alot of 350s are infact, not
4bolt mains. Two entirely seperate things.

As a rebuildable core it is worth
pretty good money to someone wanting to build a motor for a
hot-rod, or as a period correct restoration engine. They are
getting harder to get every year.A good bare block can go for over
$1000,With a good regrindable (or even better yet, useable as is)
steel crank and a good set of heads, considerably more. Look on
E-Bay. Check the block and head casting numbers on Google to see
what you have - could be a small gold mine.

And don't bother with carb! Use modern direct injection/ignition if
you want it to come to life.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Here's a 350 that comes with a free '74 Buick ! not sure if it's
a 4 bolt but the Buick blocks were unique from Chevy, I think ?

https://mooreandassociates.hibid.com...=6&ref=catalog

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 04 May 2017 08:19:04 -0400, wrote:

[...]

That depends on the year. The buick, oldsmobile, pontiac and Chevy
350s were all different at one time, but the Checy 350 became the
"corporate" 350 This started happening about 1977 - so that '74 was
not a Chevy engine, and would not even bolt up to a Chevy bell housing
as Pontiac and Buick shared one bolt pattern, while Chevy and Olds
shared a totally different one.
The buick 350 was the same as the Jeep Dauntless V8 in the early
seventies,