Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 350 chevy motor

On Thu, 04 May 2017 08:19:04 -0400, wrote:

Quite a few decades ago I decided a pickup needed a new motor, so
I bought a rebuilt motor from Sears. I never got around to sending the
old motor back for a rebate, and it's been sitting in my garage since
then, in the crate.

I was thinking of taking it to a local auto salvage and seeing what they
will give me for it. I guess it's not a very popular engine anymore, but
I thought I would ask you what you think it's worth, so when I go there
I can know if I'm getting a good price.

What do you think the motor would be worth?

Depending what year it is from, if it is a 4 barrel 350 it could also
be a 4 bolt main block. As a rebuildable core it is worth pretty good
money to someone wanting to build a motor for a hot-rod, or as a
period correct restoration engine. They are getting harder to get
every year.A good bare block can go for over $1000,With a good
regrindable (or even better yet, useable as is) steel crank and a
good set of heads, considerably more. Look on E-Bay. Check the block
and head casting numbers on Google to see what you have - could be a
small gold mine.

Here's a 350 that comes with a free '74 Buick ! not sure if it's
a 4 bolt but the Buick blocks were unique from Chevy, I think ?

https://mooreandassociates.hibid.com...=6&ref=catalog

John T.

That depends on the year. The buick, oldsmobile, pontiac and Chevy
350s were all different at one time, but the Checy 350 became the
"corporate" 350 This started happening about 1977 - so that '74 was
not a Chevy engine, and would not even bolt up to a Chevy bell housing
as Pontiac and Buick shared one bolt pattern, while Chevy and Olds
shared a totally different one.
The buick 350 was the same as the Jeep Dauntless V8 in the early
seventies,