Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sump pump

When the 1/3 hp pump starts for the first time each season, it does not start
to push the water out. Every year I have to disconnect the PVC pipe from the
pump and drain the water. After reconnecting the pipe to the pump the water
pumps out fine. Do I need to use a 1/2 hp or 3/4 hp pump, or is there another
solution, or should I just drain the pipe at the beginning of each season?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...p-1128797-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Apr 2017 17:44:03 GMT, Grandpa Tom
m wrote:

When the 1/3 hp pump starts for the first time each season, it does not start
to push the water out. Every year I have to disconnect the PVC pipe from the
pump and drain the water. After reconnecting the pipe to the pump the water
pumps out fine. Do I need to use a 1/2 hp or 3/4 hp pump, or is there another
solution, or should I just drain the pipe at the beginning of each season?

The discharge pipe need to be vented close to the pump. I drill mine
with an 1/8" bit. You might want to angle the hole if you have a
shallow pit, to prevent spray getting out of the pit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

om wrote:

When the 1/3 hp pump starts for the first time each season, it does not start
to push the water out. Every year I have to disconnect the PVC pipe from the
pump and drain the water. After reconnecting the pipe to the pump the water
pumps out fine. Do I need to use a 1/2 hp or 3/4 hp pump, or is there another
solution, or should I just drain the pipe at the beginning of each season?

The discharge pipe need to be vented close to the pump. I drill mine
with an 1/8" bit. You might want to angle the hole if you have a
shallow pit, to prevent spray getting out of the pit.

I wonder if it could be the check valve, sticking, causing the problem