Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Auto Body Shop Rip-Off Attempt

My daughter lives about 2.5 hours from me and drives a Honda Civic. The front bumper
cover is really low and she hooked it on a curb when backing out, pulling the driver's side off
from where it clips under the headlight. A friend used a zip tie to hold it up so it wouldn't drag.

She took it to a body shop and they wanted over $600 to replace the bumber cover. They
said it was "cracked". She told them that she wasn't going to use insurance, but it didn't
change the price. I told her to wait until she was home so I could take a look at it. I know
that I can get a bumper cover on-line and install it myself for a lot cheaper, even if I to get
it painted (basic black).

So she comes home this weekend and I found the "crack" that they were referring to.
There is a single screw that holds the cover to the underside of the fender. The round "hole"
in the bumper cover was now a "U" instead of a full circle meaning that the screw would
be more of a pressure fit hold since it wouldn't be encircled by a complete hole. That's it.
There was no other damage other than a bunch of missing push fasteners that held
the splash guard to the bumper cover under the radiator.

I fixed the screw hole issue by drilling 1 hidden hole and using a (black) zip tie to secure
the bumper cover just as an extra precaution in case the screw loosened up. I used a
half dozen (black) zip ties in place of the push fasteners to reattach the splash guard.

A half hour of labor and pennies worth of parts that can't even be seen instead of $600+
to have the bumper cover replaced. What a rip-off!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/27/2017 02:29 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Yep, if one has any degree of mechanical ability one can save a ton of
money.

Last time I cracked some plastic piece of junk on my car they said a new
piece would cost $100

I just glued it and it's been holding up fine for five years now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 12:29:38 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

It seems repair shops are notorious for trying to take advantage of
females, as if they are not smart. It ticks me off that they do that.
As my bride makes me the "bad guy". "You don't want my husband to come
down here." I've done the same in some cases; "if my wife comes down
here it will not be pleasant for you." :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

[...]

So you did not really repair it, you Afro-American rigged it.

How much would you have paid a repair shop to do the same thing ?
Maybe $ 100 or so .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/27/2017 4:21 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

Are all black people from Africa?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/27/2017 3:29 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

That is one reason I learned to work on my own cars the day I bought my
first.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 27, 2017 at 4:21:18 PM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

You are a dick head.

How much would you have paid a repair shop to do the same thing ?
Maybe $ 100 or so .

A pointless response from a dick head.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 16:21:19 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

Zip Ties ARE a "hack". The proper fasteners were likelya bout $20 and
would have taken no more time to install.

You'd have REALLY bitched if you paid a body shop $100 and they did
what you did.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 27, 2017 at 5:05:12 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 16:21:19 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

Zip ties are a hack that will hold until she comes back home next month. At that pont I will
have the proper fasteners.

After driving 350 miles back from working on my Dad's house for 3 days, I had less than an
hour to diagnose and repair the vehicle before she left for her 2.5 hour drive back home.
There was no way I was running out to auto store to buy a half dozen push fasteners.

You can call my repair anything you like. I call it the perfect solution for the time being and
still call the $600 quote from the body shop a ripoff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 14:47:20 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Zip ties are a hack that will hold until she comes back home next month. At that pont I will
have the proper fasteners.

After driving 350 miles back from working on my Dad's house for 3 days, I had less than an
hour to diagnose and repair the vehicle before she left for her 2.5 hour drive back home.
There was no way I was running out to auto store to buy a half dozen push fasteners.

You can call my repair anything you like. I call it the perfect solution for the time being and
still call the $600 quote from the body shop a ripoff.

I bet some of these perfectionist never had an exhaust bracket break.
A simple wire clothes hanger or bailing wire can get you home without
dragging the muffler. Adapt and overcome.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Zip ties are a hack that will hold until she comes back home next month. At that pont I will
have the proper fasteners.

After driving 350 miles back from working on my Dad's house for 3 days, I had less than an
hour to diagnose and repair the vehicle before she left for her 2.5 hour drive back home.
There was no way I was running out to auto store to buy a half dozen push fasteners.

You can call my repair anything you like. I call it the perfect solution for the time being and
still call the $600 quote from the body shop a ripoff.

I bet some of these perfectionist never had an exhaust bracket break.
A simple wire clothes hanger or bailing wire can get you home without
dragging the muffler. Adapt and overcome.

Wait for it...Clare is going to tell us all how many years he's spent working on cars
and all the wonderful repairs he's done.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Zip ties are a hack that will hold until she comes back home next month. At that pont I will
have the proper fasteners.

After driving 350 miles back from working on my Dad's house for 3 days, I had less than an
hour to diagnose and repair the vehicle before she left for her 2.5 hour drive back home.
There was no way I was running out to auto store to buy a half dozen push fasteners.

You can call my repair anything you like. I call it the perfect solution for the time being and
still call the $600 quote from the body shop a ripoff.

I bet some of these perfectionist never had an exhaust bracket break.
A simple wire clothes hanger or bailing wire can get you home without
dragging the muffler. Adapt and overcome.

Wait for it...Clare is going to tell us all how many years he's spent working on cars
and all the wonderful repairs he's done.

Kudos for the expedient repair. Wars are won by the mechanics who keep the war machines running by any means. Road warriors must do the same. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Fixit Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thank you kind sir.

Cousin My-Daughter-Likes-Her-Car-Again Monster

(And her's is the only opinion that really matters)

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

The $600 may be a fair price for a replacement if that was needed or
requested.

A reputable person would see a young girl with a problem that they could
help with at minimal cost. I do know of one old timer with a small shop
that would have had her back on the road in a short time for little more
than coffee money but she ran into a sleazy SOB opportunist that just
saw $$$.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Painted black or black colored?
Color sealed bumpers can be buffed out but painted ones need to be
painted and if that were the case $600 is high but not outrageous.
I've had encounters with both kinds. Color seal black, which I scuffed
backing into garage, I had buffed out but paint splattered ones on
wife's car had to be painted. Insurance paid all as it was a road
hazard (sloppy line painting not dried).

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

.... if we make it through November. We used to disconnect the heater
hose on our 155 mm SP Howitzer and heat canned food in the field. Only
way to get hot food. Had to be careful. If left to long, the cans
could explode in the turret and get the ammo and powder covered with
beans.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Monday, March 27, 2017 at 5:05:12 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 16:21:19 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

As long as you intend to fix it right, the
band-Aid" is acceptable - and yes, MANY times body shops are a
rip-off. To the point they often charge insurance (or customer) for
replacement parts they do not install.or install parts that are not
needed, just to make the job easier.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Zip ties are a hack that will hold until she comes back home next month. At that pont I will
have the proper fasteners.

After driving 350 miles back from working on my Dad's house for 3 days, I had less than an
hour to diagnose and repair the vehicle before she left for her 2.5 hour drive back home.
There was no way I was running out to auto store to buy a half dozen push fasteners.

You can call my repair anything you like. I call it the perfect solution for the time being and
still call the $600 quote from the body shop a ripoff.

I bet some of these perfectionist never had an exhaust bracket break.
A simple wire clothes hanger or bailing wire can get you home without
dragging the muffler. Adapt and overcome.

Those are OK emergency patches. When employed as a "permanent" repair
it is a different story.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 18:07:53 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

wrote:

So you did not really repair it, you Afro-American rigged it.

How much would you have paid a repair shop to do the same thing ?
Maybe $ 100 or so .

Zip Ties ARE a "hack". The proper fasteners were likelya bout $20 and
would have taken no more time to install.

You'd have REALLY bitched if you paid a body shop $100 and they did
what you did.

He must like you. He called me a dick head for saying about the same
thing.

But a hack is a hack by whatever name one calls it.

I bet he would have bitched if they would have even charged $ 50 at the
body shop to do the same hack.

A shop with any reputation is going to do a factory restore job and not
Afro-American rig it.

We call it a "drunk irishman" fix - - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Zip ties are a hack that will hold until she comes back home next month. At that pont I will
have the proper fasteners.

After driving 350 miles back from working on my Dad's house for 3 days, I had less than an
hour to diagnose and repair the vehicle before she left for her 2.5 hour drive back home.
There was no way I was running out to auto store to buy a half dozen push fasteners.

You can call my repair anything you like. I call it the perfect solution for the time being and
still call the $600 quote from the body shop a ripoff.

I bet some of these perfectionist never had an exhaust bracket break.
A simple wire clothes hanger or bailing wire can get you home without
dragging the muffler. Adapt and overcome.

Wait for it...Clare is going to tell us all how many years he's spent working on cars
and all the wonderful repairs he's done.

You don't want to know, so this time I'll just shut up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 15:36:06 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Monday, March 27, 2017 at 6:07:52 PM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

wrote:

So you did not really repair it, you Afro-American rigged it.

How much would you have paid a repair shop to do the same thing ?
Maybe $ 100 or so .

Zip Ties ARE a "hack". The proper fasteners were likelya bout $20 and
would have taken no more time to install.

You'd have REALLY bitched if you paid a body shop $100 and they did
what you did.

He must like you. He called me a dick head for saying about the same
thing.

No, I called you a dick head because of your use of the term "Afro-American" in your
description of my fix.

But a hack is a hack by whatever name one calls it.

And a dick head is still a dick head.

I bet he would have bitched if they would have even charged $ 50 at the
body shop to do the same hack.

Wrong again dick head.

A shop with any reputation is going to do a factory restore job and not
Afro-American rig it.

Really? Charge $600 for a something that required a .$01 fix.

Bull****.

To be fair, it required about half an hour of work and about $20
worth of "hardware" - so it REALLY required about a $75 repair.

To do it RIGHT would require about half an hour more to repaiy the
torn out screw-hole, and a bumper repair kit - I use Dynatron 660 and
I'd likely add a plastic washer to the 2 part mix to re-enforce the
patch insteasd of adding a hole to the body.
A "fair" repair cost would likely have been about $150, breaking
from a big job to work it in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Kudos for the expedient repair. Wars are won by the mechanics who keep the war machines running by any means. Road warriors must do the same. ?(?)?

[8~{} Uncle Fixit Monster

... if we make it through November. We used to disconnect the heater
hose on our 155 mm SP Howitzer and heat canned food in the field. Only
way to get hot food. Had to be careful. If left to long, the cans
could explode in the turret and get the ammo and powder covered with
beans.

Soldiers are some of the most inventive critters extant because their lives often depend on it. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Inventive Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Kudos for the expedient repair. Wars are won by the mechanics who keep the war machines running by any means. Road warriors must do the same. ?(?)?

[8~{} Uncle Fixit Monster

... if we make it through November. We used to disconnect the heater
hose on our 155 mm SP Howitzer and heat canned food in the field. Only
way to get hot food. Had to be careful. If left to long, the cans
could explode in the turret and get the ammo and powder covered with
beans.

Soldiers are some of the most inventive critters extant because their lives often depend on it. ?(?)?

[8~{} Uncle Inventive Monster

I was a youngster. Brother and Uncle needed fire in the swamp as the
matches were wet. On a Model-A Ford, they disconnected the muffler
(easy), soaked a rag in gas and then shut the engine down causing a
backfire. Lit the rag and had fire. You would love what we did with
dynamite, wire and a battery :-)

Cousin Swamp Billy :-\\
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I knew you couldn't resist.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/27/2017 9:13 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
On 3/27/2017 5:23 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, March 27, 2017 at 8:06:15 PM UTC-4, Taxed and Spent wrote:
On 3/27/2017 4:40 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, March 27, 2017 at 7:12:21 PM UTC-4, Taxed and Spent wrote:
On 3/27/2017 4:08 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

What gave you the impression that my daughter is a teenie bopper?

"A reputable person would see a young girl with a problem that they
could help with at minimal cost."

That was me that said that. Young is relative. I'm 71
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 27, 2017 at 9:42:58 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 3/27/2017 9:13 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
On 3/27/2017 5:23 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, March 27, 2017 at 8:06:15 PM UTC-4, Taxed and Spent wrote:
On 3/27/2017 4:40 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, March 27, 2017 at 7:12:21 PM UTC-4, Taxed and Spent wrote:
On 3/27/2017 4:08 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

What gave you the impression that my daughter is a teenie bopper?

"A reputable person would see a young girl with a problem that they
could help with at minimal cost."

That was me that said that. Young is relative. I'm 71

Young *woman* may have worked better. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Why does she drive her car up onto the curb?

I think the real problem is that you failed to teach your daughter how
to drive.

A smart driver will turn the ****ing stereo down and approach the curb
slowly so they can hear/feel the car contact the curb without damaging it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 27, 2017 at 6:36:14 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

A shop with any reputation is going to do a factory restore job and not
Afro-American rig it.

Really? Charge $600 for a something that required a .$01 fix.

Bull****.

I'd say they should have at least offered the options:

A - Full restoration to like new, $600

B - Fix along the lines of what you did, $XXX

You also didn't say what year it is, but the older the car is,
the more acceptable B becomes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 28, 2017 at 10:22:10 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, March 27, 2017 at 6:36:14 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

A shop with any reputation is going to do a factory restore job and not
Afro-American rig it.

Really? Charge $600 for a something that required a .$01 fix.

Bull****.

I'd say they should have at least offered the options:

A - Full restoration to like new, $600

B - Fix along the lines of what you did, $XXX

You also didn't say what year it is, but the older the car is,
the more acceptable B becomes.

Well, the year, make and model do all enter into it, but so does the condition.

The vehicle in question is a 2007 Honda Civic Sedan that is in excellent shape. One could
easily justify the $600 fix except...

Unless you crawl under the car and look up into the wheel wheel, there is no visible
difference between the full $600 bumper cover replacement and the single blank zip tie
that provides a secondary holding point as insurance should the cracked screw hole fail.
In fact, since it's the original bumper cover, one could argue that a replacement bumper
cover would be noticeable, i.e. too perfect.

I can't imagine that anyone with a lick of financial sense and a minimal amount of DIY
knowledge would pay $600 - or even $150 - for this simple fix. In fact, you don't even need
the DIY knowledge, you just need to know someone (e.g. Dad) that you can ask before
you authorize the "perfect" (read: $600) fix.

I find it ironic that many of the responses in a DIY group are actually calling the DIY fix
a "hack". I wonder how many of them would have spent the $600 - or even the $150 number
that's been tossed around - as opposed to fixing it their driveway in a similar manner as I did.