Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Moss & Lawns

What is the best way to get rid of patches off moss on lawns?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 5:05:39 PM UTC-5, wrote:

What is the best way to get rid of patches off moss on lawns?

Moss is due to not enough sunshine. But moss is lovely, like
walking on plush carpet.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 03/21/2017 6:14 PM, Oren wrote:

Look into adding Lime into the soil, if I'm correct. Sunshine is the
best cure in a shady area. Lime will help aerate the soil and allow
water to drain. I could be off, but investigate it for stopping moss.

Don't until do pH test; could just be making it worse. Many soils
already have high pH values; adding limestone will make this pH go even
higher, adding to the lawn's problem.

Ferrous ammonium sulfate or ferric sulfate (iron sulfate) can be used to
control moss to some extent. The moss will temporarily burn away, but
tends to return fairly quickly unless underlying problems are solved .
Raking out moss is another option; usually followed by reseeding.

Modifying site conditions to favor lawn grasses and discourage moss is
the suggested way to manage the problem. Too much shade for acceptable
grass growth is a common underlying cause for moss invasion. Pruning
trees and shrubs to improve air circulation and light penetration is a
good starting point. Evaluate the site to make sure the proper
grass(es) for the conditions is(are) being used.

Take a good look at the soil conditions. A soil test can be helpful, as
it could be the soil pH is out of line, contributing to the problem.
Reduce soil compaction by core aerifying. This may also help correct
drainage problems; although serious drainage problems may require more
extensive work to correct.

(Why do I feel like I'm repeating previous advice/information? )

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 5:27:06 PM UTC-7, dpb wrote:
[...]

I will try what you have said and give you some feedback.