Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cold house

Why does the temperature in my house drop to 68 degrees when the "Heat" setpoint on my programmable thermostat is set to 80 degrees?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 7, 2017 at 12:18:48 PM UTC-5, Bob wrote:
Why does the temperature in my house drop to 68 degrees when the "Heat" setpoint on my programmable thermostat is set to 80 degrees?

Doors and windows open?
Forgot to pay the gas bill for 6 months?
Electricity shut off?
Busted furnace?
Busted thermostat?

The possibilities are endless.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/7/2017 12:18 PM, Bob wrote:
Why does the temperature in my house drop to 68 degrees when the "Heat" setpoint on my programmable thermostat is set to 80 degrees?

Didn't we do this a month ago?

Defective thermostat
weak battery
defective limit switch
not programmed properly
doaen oter potential issues
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doors and windows open? NO
Forgot to pay the gas bill for 6 months? NO
Electricity shut off? NO
Busted furnace? The furnace eventually comes on after several hours
Busted thermostat? ???

Posted to alt.home.repair

Defective thermostat - ???
weak battery - NO (new batteries)
defective limit switch - ???
not programmed properly - NO - Programmed per owners manual

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 7 Mar 2017 09:18:39 -0800 (PST), Bob
wrote:

Why does the temperature in my house drop to 68 degrees when
the "Heat" setpoint on my programmable thermostat is set to 80 degrees?

Your thermostat is located in a warm spot and you are taking the
68 degree reading in a cold spot.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The "Current room temperature indicator" on the thermostat is 68 degrees.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The "Current room temperature indicator" on the thermostat was 68 degrees at 7 AM and it was 68 degrees at 10:23 AM.

The furnace finally came on at 10:25 AM

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Bob wrote:

Doors and windows open? NO
Forgot to pay the gas bill for 6 months? NO
Electricity shut off? NO
Busted furnace? The furnace eventually comes on after several hours
Busted thermostat? ???

Call someone to get it serviced.
Posted to alt.home.repair

At 7 AM, the "Current room temperature indicator" on the thermostat was 68 degrees.

At 10 AM, the "Current room temperature indicator" was still 68 degrees.

At 10:05 AM, the furnace (finally) turned on.

At 10:30 AM, the "Current room temperature indicator" is now 82 degrees.

Why did it take more than 4 hours for the furnace to come on?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/7/17 1:31 PM, Bob wrote:
At 7 AM, the "Current room temperature indicator" on the thermostat was 68 degrees.

At 10 AM, the "Current room temperature indicator" was still 68 degrees.

At 10:05 AM, the furnace (finally) turned on.

At 10:30 AM, the "Current room temperature indicator" is now 82 degrees.

Why did it take more than 4 hours for the furnace to come on?

1. you have it set to go to 80 at 10:00
2. the t-stat's clock is set to wrong time of day
3. the t-stat is defective
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 7, 2017 at 1:32:01 PM UTC-5, Bob wrote:
At 7 AM, the "Current room temperature indicator" on the thermostat was 68 degrees.

At 10 AM, the "Current room temperature indicator" was still 68 degrees.

At 10:05 AM, the furnace (finally) turned on.

At 10:30 AM, the "Current room temperature indicator" is now 82 degrees.

Why did it take more than 4 hours for the furnace to come on?

Small switch on back (inside) of stat is set to "A". Slide to "B".
Posted to alt.home.repair

Retired: The thermostat's date and time are correct and the 'Heating' setpoint is 80 degrees for all times on all days.

Thomas: Looking inside the thermostat, I don't see a switch with "A" or "B" positions. Where is that switch?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 7 Mar 2017 12:33:07 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 3/7/2017 12:18 PM, Bob wrote:
Why does the temperature in my house drop to 68 degrees when the "Heat" setpoint on my programmable thermostat is set to 80 degrees?

Didn't we do this a month ago?

I seem to recall that it was.

Defective thermostat
weak battery
defective limit switch
not programmed properly
doaen oter potential issues

Pull the T-stat mount and check for a larger than necessary hole for
the wire in the drywall. Drywall guys knock a hole with a hammer.
Temps in the wall cavity can make the T-stat act strange. Seal the
hole around the wire with drywall mud or caulk. Mount the T-stat and
try a factory reset default setting.

Faulty T-stat wire? Faulty transformer?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 7 Mar 2017 13:53:23 -0500, Retired wrote:

Why did it take more than 4 hours for the furnace to come on?

1. you have it set to go to 80 at 10:00
2. the t-stat's clock is set to wrong time of day
3. the t-stat is defective

4. The house is haunted with restless haints

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-03-07 2:32 PM, Bob wrote:
Retired: The thermostat's date and time are correct and the 'Heating' setpoint is 80 degrees for all times on all days.

Thomas: Looking inside the thermostat, I don't see a switch with "A" or "B" positions. Where is that switch?

Mine has a set of DIP switches on the back, settings for
gas/oil/electric heat, Celsius/Fahrenheit etc. Set them once on the
original install and forget them.

--
Froz....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/7/2017 12:18 PM, Bob wrote:
Why does the temperature in my house drop to 68 degrees when the "Heat"
setpoint on my programmable thermostat is set to 80 degrees?

Didn't we do this a month ago?

I seem to recall that it was.

Defective thermostat
weak battery
defective limit switch
not programmed properly
doaen oter potential issues

Pull the T-stat mount and check for a larger than necessary hole for
the wire in the drywall. Drywall guys knock a hole with a hammer.
Temps in the wall cavity can make the T-stat act strange. Seal the
hole around the wire with drywall mud or caulk. Mount the T-stat and
try a factory reset default setting.

Faulty T-stat wire? Faulty transformer?

He already said the thermostat was reporting an ambient temperature of
68, so that wont be the problem. If he doesn't know how to pull the
thermostat off the wall and short the correct pair of wires to see if
the furnace fires, then he needs to call for service. He's in over his
head.
Posted to alt.home.repair

My Totaline Single Stage Programmable Thermostat (5-2 Day) (Model P474-1035) does not those DIP switches.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 7 Mar 2017 12:21:41 -0800 (PST), Bob
wrote:

My Totaline Single Stage Programmable Thermostat (5-2 Day) (Model P474-1035)
does not those DIP switches.

http://www.totaline.com/homeowners/files/1035

Turn your "Program Switch " off.

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:

Why does the temperature in my house drop to 68 degrees when the
"Heat" setpoint on my programmable thermostat is set to 80 degrees?

Phone the NSA and ask for HVAC controls section.
Once transferred ask them to return control to you.
Someone forgot to do so when they finished.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John T,

I've moved the "Program Switch" to the "OFF" position.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've moved the "Program Switch" to the "OFF" position.

" Advanced Settings " on page 17 of the Owners Manual
could also affect things - deadband and cycles per hour ...

http://www.totaline.com/homeowners/files/1035

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 Mar 2017 07:26:24 -0800 (PST), wrote:

" Advanced Settings " on page 17 of the Owners Manual
could also affect things - deadband and cycles per hour ...

http://www.totaline.com/homeowners/files/1035

John T.

+1

Advanced Setup
"This is normally done by the installer at initial installation."

:-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 7, 2017 at 1:32:01 PM UTC-5, Bob wrote:
At 7 AM, the "Current room temperature indicator" on the thermostat was 68 degrees.

At 10 AM, the "Current room temperature indicator" was still 68 degrees.

At 10:05 AM, the furnace (finally) turned on.

At 10:30 AM, the "Current room temperature indicator" is now 82 degrees.

Why did it take more than 4 hours for the furnace to come on?

Stop right there. Something isn't right. You say that the house was
at 68 degrees, the furnace finally went on, and in just 25 minutes,
the house is at 82F? The temperature increased 14F in just 25 minutes?
I assume you have sense enough to know if that 82F reading is wrong
and it's actually more like 70F. So, if what you say is true, your furnace
would have to be sized to heat a whole apartment building.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, March 8, 2017 at 1:35:18 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, March 7, 2017 at 1:32:01 PM UTC-5, Bob wrote:
At 7 AM, the "Current room temperature indicator" on the thermostat was 68 degrees.

At 10 AM, the "Current room temperature indicator" was still 68 degrees.

At 10:05 AM, the furnace (finally) turned on.

At 10:30 AM, the "Current room temperature indicator" is now 82 degrees.

Why did it take more than 4 hours for the furnace to come on?

Stop right there. Something isn't right. You say that the house was
at 68 degrees, the furnace finally went on, and in just 25 minutes,
the house is at 82F? The temperature increased 14F in just 25 minutes?
I assume you have sense enough to know if that 82F reading is wrong
and it's actually more like 70F. So, if what you say is true, your furnace
would have to be sized to heat a whole apartment building.

actually if the anticipator is set wrong (very wrong) in the thermosdat, it could make it read high and keep the house cold.

or maybe they have installed the stat so that a duct is blowing right on it?

or?