calhoun

Default how high will a washer pump?

Want to relocate a standard clothes washer. This is on slab construction so
no way (other than hammer out floor) to run new drains. Existing drain is
about 4' of the floor and machine pumps fine. If it would pump to ceiling
height I could slope a new drain across the attic and back down to the
existing drain. Anyone know if a washing machine pump will pump up 8' ??

I had a cheap washer that I had pump up 8 feet. I put a valve on the hose
that would let the water flow in only one direction so the water in the
hose would not backup into the washer. The washer may have had a valve
like that built into it but I put one on to be safe. Good Luck
Tom

"calhoun" wrote in message
news
Want to relocate a standard clothes washer. This is on slab construction

so
no way (other than hammer out floor) to run new drains. Existing drain is
about 4' of the floor and machine pumps fine. If it would pump to ceiling
height I could slope a new drain across the attic and back down to the
existing drain. Anyone know if a washing machine pump will pump up 8' ??

Should be no problem but be sure to use at least a 2 inch pipe and an air

gap around the washer hose so it doesn't siphon or run back into the washer.

SQLit

"calhoun" wrote in message
news
Want to relocate a standard clothes washer. This is on slab construction

so
no way (other than hammer out floor) to run new drains. Existing drain is
about 4' of the floor and machine pumps fine. If it would pump to ceiling
height I could slope a new drain across the attic and back down to the
existing drain. Anyone know if a washing machine pump will pump up 8' ??

Just out of curiosity, what are you going to do with the 8 feet of head
water? Sounds like an accident looking to happen to me.

"SQLit" wrote:
"calhoun" wrote in message
news
Want to relocate a standard clothes washer. This is on slab
construction

so
no way (other than hammer out floor) to run new drains. Existing drain
is about 4' of the floor and machine pumps fine. If it would pump to
ceiling height I could slope a new drain across the attic and back down
to the existing drain. Anyone know if a washing machine pump will pump
up 8' ??

Just out of curiosity, what are you going to do with the 8 feet of head
water? Sounds like an accident looking to happen to me.

If he uses a oneway valve on the bottom of the hose it should not be a
problem. I used one that way for 10 years.

calhoun

Just out of curiosity, what are you going to do with the 8 feet of head
water? Sounds like an accident looking to happen to me.

Thanks for the replies.
I just want to pump it to 8 foot so I can pipe it across attic and back down
another wall to tie it into the existing drain
Defiantly will use a check valve.

"SQLit" wrote in message

"calhoun" wrote in message
news
Want to relocate a standard clothes washer. This is on slab construction

so
no way (other than hammer out floor) to run new drains. Existing drain

is
about 4' of the floor and machine pumps fine. If it would pump to

ceiling
height I could slope a new drain across the attic and back down to the
existing drain. Anyone know if a washing machine pump will pump up 8' ??

Dan O.

calhoun wrote in message ...

Want to relocate a standard clothes washer. This is
on slab construction so no way (other than hammer
out floor) to run new drains.

Existing drain is about 4' of the floor and machine
pumps fine. If it would pump to ceiling height I
could slope a new drain across the attic and back
down to the existing drain.

Anyone know if a washing machine pump will pump
up 8' ??

Some makes may have a high velocity pump available for them which
might allow that without any problems. Check with the manufacturer or
local parts or service depot *supplying the brand and complete model
number off the appliance*.

JMO

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=clothes+washer

=Ð~~~~~~

Bill Reynolds

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 07:50:32 -0400, RB wrote:

You have too much free time. ;-)

That may be true, but I admire his curiosity.

RB

wrote:
Why not just rig a garden hose onto it, run it out a window, and climb
a ladder outside with the hose in your hand. When it stops flowing,
you went too high. A jet pump for a shallow well pumps about 40 feet
max.(up the well / horizonal runs dont matter much) I'd guess a
washer, having a weaker pump would do about half that, or 20 feet
(just a guess). Heck, I may try the hose on the ladder thing myself,
just to find out. I only have a 25 foot ladder though, so that's my
limit I can test.

Dave Harnish

Hmmm, I'm sorry to have missed this orig post grin,
but I'll chime in anyway.

It's not so much how high a washer pump will 'push' water
(most mfgrs recomm 5-6 ft max these days), but after a
certain height, when the machine shuts back down, how much
water drains back down the drain line. If it's enough to refill
the tub to the clothes level, ie into the bottom of the basket,
then the laundry's gonna be re-wetted at the end of the cycle.
I've seen this, and it 'ain't pretty'.

There's also a difference with/without detergent in the water.
Clear water will pump out faster/higher than greywater.

That's probably more than anyone wanted to know about it,
but, hey, it's a weekend and I have too much time on my hands
too! grin

God bless,

Dave Harnish
Dave's Repair Service
New Albany, PA
www.DavesRepair.com

570-363-2404

I'm a 32-year pro appliance technician, and love sharing what
I've learned - in a FREE Monthly Appliance Tips Newsletter.
(Back issues now posted here too!)
www.DavesRepair.com

John 3:3

wrote:
Why not just rig a garden hose onto it, run it out a window, and climb
a ladder outside with the hose in your hand. When it stops flowing,
you went too high. A jet pump for a shallow well pumps about 40 feet
max.(up the well / horizonal runs dont matter much) I'd guess a
washer, having a weaker pump would do about half that, or 20 feet
(just a guess). Heck, I may try the hose on the ladder thing myself,
just to find out. I only have a 25 foot ladder though, so that's my
limit I can test.

clothes washer under sewer line with ejector pump fixhouse Home Repair 1 June 1st 04 01:11 PM
Old reliable belt drive washer Cult of Nurse's Home Repair 10 June 28th 03 03:59 PM
Backup Sump Pump Horror Story Harvey Krodin Home Repair 10 June 27th 03 02:59 PM