Dave Harnish

Default how high will a washer pump?

Hmmm, I'm sorry to have missed this orig post grin,
but I'll chime in anyway.

It's not so much how high a washer pump will 'push' water
(most mfgrs recomm 5-6 ft max these days), but after a
certain height, when the machine shuts back down, how much
water drains back down the drain line. If it's enough to refill
the tub to the clothes level, ie into the bottom of the basket,
then the laundry's gonna be re-wetted at the end of the cycle.
I've seen this, and it 'ain't pretty'.

There's also a difference with/without detergent in the water.
Clear water will pump out faster/higher than greywater.

That's probably more than anyone wanted to know about it,
but, hey, it's a weekend and I have too much time on my hands
too! grin

God bless,

Dave Harnish
Dave's Repair Service
New Albany, PA
www.DavesRepair.com

570-363-2404

I'm a 32-year pro appliance technician, and love sharing what
I've learned - in a FREE Monthly Appliance Tips Newsletter.
(Back issues now posted here too!)
www.DavesRepair.com

John 3:3

"Bill Reynolds" wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 07:50:32 -0400, RB wrote:

You have too much free time. ;-)

That may be true, but I admire his curiosity.

RB

wrote:
Why not just rig a garden hose onto it, run it out a window, and climb
a ladder outside with the hose in your hand. When it stops flowing,
you went too high. A jet pump for a shallow well pumps about 40 feet
max.(up the well / horizonal runs dont matter much) I'd guess a
washer, having a weaker pump would do about half that, or 20 feet
(just a guess). Heck, I may try the hose on the ladder thing myself,
just to find out. I only have a 25 foot ladder though, so that's my
limit I can test.