Emmet Cummings

Default leaking shower

Hello all,

Problem: shower leaks down to the room below it.

Background: Removed tiles along the base of the tub under the fixtures, and
found some spacing between the tub and the wall so I added some cement to
bridge the gap. Re-applied the tiles, grouted and sealed it up.

Things tried: Ran the garden hose up to the room and gave the tiles a good
soaking for about ten minutes -- no water leaked. Second, ran the water in
the tub(no shower) also for about ten minutes, still no water. Next, I found
an old shower head that you can turn the water flow off and ran it for about
five minutes, still no water. Took a shower -- found water.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Em

I-zheet M'drurz

Emmet Cummings wrote:

Things tried: Ran the garden hose up to the room and gave the
tiles a good soaking for about ten minutes -- no water leaked.
Second, ran the water in the tub(no shower) also for about ten
minutes, still no water. Next, I found an old shower head that
you can turn the water flow off and ran it for about five
minutes, still no water. Took a shower -- found water.

Any other suggestions?

It sounds like it's something that's being moved by the weight
of a body in the shower, that's been known to happen. Try
stepping in and out of the shower*, and while doing so, look
for unintentional "expansion joints", like caulking being
moved out of place, or maybe you're slightly getting the drain
flange pulled away from the tub?.

(* or just plug the tub and fill it)

HTH.

--
Ha'i D-suhlami
filling in for I-zheet M'drurz
Brikp

Check this...
I'll guess its a plastic or firberglass shower base.
When there is weight on it I'll bet there is some flex to it.
Check the following...
- Caulk joints between base and wall that open up when there is weight on
it.
- Bad seal between base and drain that opens up when weight on base.
- Bad joint on trap that opens up when weight is on base.
- Crack in base that opens up when it flexes.

If not a bad base or base connection
- Check the caulk around the door. Could be that the splash when you are
showering diverts the water differently then if you are just running the
shower w/o showering.
- Check the caulk OUTSIDE the shower, where the base meets the floor.

Let me know if I was right

"Emmet Cummings" wrote in message
Hello all,

Problem: shower leaks down to the room below it.

Background: Removed tiles along the base of the tub under the fixtures,

and
found some spacing between the tub and the wall so I added some cement to
bridge the gap. Re-applied the tiles, grouted and sealed it up.

Things tried: Ran the garden hose up to the room and gave the tiles a good
soaking for about ten minutes -- no water leaked. Second, ran the water in
the tub(no shower) also for about ten minutes, still no water. Next, I

found
an old shower head that you can turn the water flow off and ran it for

about
five minutes, still no water. Took a shower -- found water.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Em

Emmet Cummings

"I-zheet M'drurz" wrote in message

Emmet Cummings wrote:

Things tried: Ran the garden hose up to the room and gave the
tiles a good soaking for about ten minutes -- no water leaked.
Second, ran the water in the tub(no shower) also for about ten
minutes, still no water. Next, I found an old shower head that
you can turn the water flow off and ran it for about five
minutes, still no water. Took a shower -- found water.

Any other suggestions?

It sounds like it's something that's being moved by the weight
of a body in the shower, that's been known to happen. Try
stepping in and out of the shower*, and while doing so, look
for unintentional "expansion joints", like caulking being
moved out of place, or maybe you're slightly getting the drain
flange pulled away from the tub?.

(* or just plug the tub and fill it)

I took the garden hose, got in the shower and splashed the walls/doors and
still nothing.

Thanks for your time,
Em

Emmet Cummings

"Brikp" wrote in message
Check this...
I'll guess its a plastic or firberglass shower base.
When there is weight on it I'll bet there is some flex to it.
Check the following...
- Caulk joints between base and wall that open up when there is weight on
it.
- Bad seal between base and drain that opens up when weight on base.
- Bad joint on trap that opens up when weight is on base.
- Crack in base that opens up when it flexes.

I took the garden hose, got in the shower and splashed the walls/doors and
still nothing. Even rocked back and forth near the drain.

If not a bad base or base connection
- Check the caulk around the door. Could be that the splash when you are
showering diverts the water differently then if you are just running the
shower w/o showering.

I did spray the hose onto the doors, which is a lot more water than it would
with a shower.

- Check the caulk OUTSIDE the shower, where the base meets the floor.

The floor is dry outside the tub, so I'm not sure why the caulking would be
a problem.

Thanks for your time,
Em

Leaking shower DrewM UK diy 8 December 16th 03 07:54 AM
Help with leaking Aqualisa shower JohnB UK diy 3 November 5th 03 06:25 PM