DrewM

Default Leaking shower

I've got a leaking shower cubicle. After running the shower for about 30
seconds, a steady stream of water starts dripping from somewhere near
the back wall.

The shower fitting itself is on a side wall, so I don't think this is a
problem with the pipes. I've resealed around the shower basin with
silicon sealant, but the drip keeps coming.

I reckon it's getting in through the grout somewhere. Plausible?

I'm a complete novice when it comes to things like this - is the best
plan to re-grout the tiles on that wall? If so, is that an easy job, and
can anyone recommend a good source of instructions?

Thanks

Drew

Tony Collins

What I did when I had this problem:

Got some granite effect vinyl flooring, and glued it on over the tiles - one
piece for each wall of the cubicle. Seal up each corner, and around the
shower tray and jobs a goodun. Glued it on with standard vinyl flooring
adheseive. It looked good, relatively few points to seal, and is even warm
to the touch.

I never trust grout anymore.

--
Tony Collins

"DrewM" wrote in message
I've got a leaking shower cubicle. After running the shower for about 30
seconds, a steady stream of water starts dripping from somewhere near
the back wall.

The shower fitting itself is on a side wall, so I don't think this is a
problem with the pipes. I've resealed around the shower basin with
silicon sealant, but the drip keeps coming.

I reckon it's getting in through the grout somewhere. Plausible?

I'm a complete novice when it comes to things like this - is the best
plan to re-grout the tiles on that wall? If so, is that an easy job, and
can anyone recommend a good source of instructions?

Thanks

Drew

BigWallop

"DrewM" wrote in message
I've got a leaking shower cubicle. After running the shower for about 30
seconds, a steady stream of water starts dripping from somewhere near
the back wall.

The shower fitting itself is on a side wall, so I don't think this is a
problem with the pipes. I've resealed around the shower basin with
silicon sealant, but the drip keeps coming.

I reckon it's getting in through the grout somewhere. Plausible?

I'm a complete novice when it comes to things like this - is the best
plan to re-grout the tiles on that wall? If so, is that an easy job, and
can anyone recommend a good source of instructions?

Thanks

Drew

If it's dripping into the room below, then check your waste outlet pipework.
The joints on the plastic pipes that take the water away down the plughole
are leaking.

Sparks

"DrewM" wrote in message
I've got a leaking shower cubicle. After running the shower for about 30
seconds, a steady stream of water starts dripping from somewhere near
the back wall.

The shower fitting itself is on a side wall, so I don't think this is a
problem with the pipes. I've resealed around the shower basin with
silicon sealant, but the drip keeps coming.

I reckon it's getting in through the grout somewhere. Plausible?

I'm a complete novice when it comes to things like this - is the best
plan to re-grout the tiles on that wall? If so, is that an easy job, and
can anyone recommend a good source of instructions?

Before you start ripping tiles off, I would make 100% sure it isn't the
waste!

You say it only takes about 30 seconds to start - try blocking the drain in
the shower with a plug or something, and see if it still leaks - if not, let
the water in the tray go, and then get the mop

Sparks...

DrewM

Sparks wrote:

Before you start ripping tiles off, I would make 100% sure it isn't the
waste!

You say it only takes about 30 seconds to start - try blocking the drain in
the shower with a plug or something, and see if it still leaks - if not, let
the water in the tray go, and then get the mop

Ripping tiles off? Yikes, is that what I'll need to do?

It can't be the waste, unless I have special water than can run up hill

Thanks,

Drew

BigWallop

"DrewM" wrote in message
Sparks wrote:

Before you start ripping tiles off, I would make 100% sure it isn't the
waste!

You say it only takes about 30 seconds to start - try blocking the drain

in
the shower with a plug or something, and see if it still leaks - if not,

let
the water in the tray go, and then get the mop

Ripping tiles off? Yikes, is that what I'll need to do?

It can't be the waste, unless I have special water than can run up hill

Thanks,

Drew

How do you mean " run up hill" ? The water could be puddling under the
shower tray, and when it reaches a certain level, or gets to an easy flow
out point, it will drip through. So it could be your waste pipe.

DrewM

BigWallop wrote:

How do you mean " run up hill" ? The water could be puddling under the
shower tray, and when it reaches a certain level, or gets to an easy flow
out point, it will drip through. So it could be your waste pipe.

The point from which the water drips is higher than the plug hole. The
waste pipe, by necessity runs downwards. Water isn't pooling inside the
shower, and gravity prevents it from pooling on the underside of the basin.

Consider the shower basin to be this shape:

--x--\ /-----
\________________y___/

Where Y is the plug hole, and X is the approximate point of dripping.

Drew

BigWallop

"DrewM" wrote in message
BigWallop wrote:

How do you mean " run up hill" ? The water could be puddling under the
shower tray, and when it reaches a certain level, or gets to an easy

flow
out point, it will drip through. So it could be your waste pipe.

The point from which the water drips is higher than the plug hole. The
waste pipe, by necessity runs downwards. Water isn't pooling inside the
shower, and gravity prevents it from pooling on the underside of the

basin.

Consider the shower basin to be this shape:

--x--\ /-----
\________________y___/

Where Y is the plug hole, and X is the approximate point of dripping.

Drew

So the drip is going into the shower tray and not through the floor into a
room below ?

DrewM

BigWallop wrote:

So the drip is going into the shower tray and not through the floor into a
room below ?

No, the drip is from the underside of the tray onto the floor (and
through the boards).

Drew