Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical advice-30A circuits

[snip]

No, power and energy are not the same thing. You must multiply power by
time to get energy.

Watts is power.

Calories and BTU are energy.

Sorry about the erroneous post. Mainly, I was replying to the nonsense
about Calories being only in the body.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

" God... 1) The emperor has no clothes. 2) There is no emperor."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 02 Feb 2017 18:17:28 -0000, Mark Lloyd wrote:

[snip]

No, power and energy are not the same thing. You must multiply power by
time to get energy.

Watts is power.

Calories and BTU are energy.

Sorry about the erroneous post. Mainly, I was replying to the nonsense
about Calories being only in the body.

I've only ever seen calories used for food energy values, not for anything else.

--
Space is an illusion, disk space doubly so.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 12:36:36 PM UTC-6, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Thu, 02 Feb 2017 18:17:28 -0000, Mark Lloyd wrote:

[snip]

No, power and energy are not the same thing. You must multiply power by
time to get energy.

Watts is power.

Calories and BTU are energy.

Sorry about the erroneous post. Mainly, I was replying to the nonsense
about Calories being only in the body.

I've only ever seen calories used for food energy values, not for anything else.
--

From what I remember of chemistry, the "calorie" was used quite often in the science. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[8~{} Uncle Heated Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 02 Feb 2017 20:38:43 -0000, Uncle Monster wrote:

On Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 12:36:36 PM UTC-6, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Thu, 02 Feb 2017 18:17:28 -0000, Mark Lloyd wrote:

[snip]

No, power and energy are not the same thing. You must multiply power by
time to get energy.

Watts is power.

Calories and BTU are energy.

Sorry about the erroneous post. Mainly, I was replying to the nonsense
about Calories being only in the body.

I've only ever seen calories used for food energy values, not for anything else.
--

From what I remember of chemistry, the "calorie" was used quite often in the science. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[8~{} Uncle Heated Monster

I only remember that in Biology. And it was to work out the calorific value of foods.

--
The word "gymnasium" comes from the? Ancient Greek "gymnos" (naked) and "zein" (to train).
So literally the word "gymnasium" means a "building for naked exercise".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 02 Feb 2017 20:51:13 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Thu, 02 Feb 2017 20:38:43 -0000, Uncle Monster wrote:

On Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 12:36:36 PM UTC-6, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Thu, 02 Feb 2017 18:17:28 -0000, Mark Lloyd wrote:

[snip]

No, power and energy are not the same thing. You must multiply power by
time to get energy.

Watts is power.

Calories and BTU are energy.

Sorry about the erroneous post. Mainly, I was replying to the nonsense
about Calories being only in the body.

I've only ever seen calories used for food energy values, not for anything else.
--

From what I remember of chemistry, the "calorie" was used quite often in the science. ¯\_(?)_/¯

[8~{} Uncle Heated Monster

I only remember that in Biology. And it was to work out the calorific value of foods.

A calorie was originally a metric BTU, the amount of energy it took to
raise a gram of water 1 degree c.
They had some inflation when we started using it to describe food so
it became the amount of energy to raise a kg of water one degree c.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Thu, 02 Feb 2017 20:38:43 -0000, Uncle Monster wrote:

On Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 12:36:36 PM UTC-6, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Thu, 02 Feb 2017 18:17:28 -0000, Mark Lloyd wrote:

[snip]

No, power and energy are not the same thing. You must multiply power by
time to get energy.

Watts is power.

Calories and BTU are energy.

Sorry about the erroneous post. Mainly, I was replying to the nonsense
about Calories being only in the body.

I've only ever seen calories used for food energy values, not for anything else.
--

From what I remember of chemistry, the "calorie" was used quite often in the science. ¯\_(?)_/¯

[8~{} Uncle Heated Monster

I only remember that in Biology. And it was to work out the calorific value of foods.

A calorie was originally a metric BTU, the amount of energy it took to
raise a gram of water 1 degree c.
They had some inflation when we started using it to describe food so
it became the amount of energy to raise a kg of water one degree c.

Yes and they are both called calories, very stupid. Officially they are kilocalories, but they get called calories aswell.

--
A can of diet coke floats in water, but a can of regular coke sinks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/02/2017 06:57 PM, wrote:

[snip]

A calorie was originally a metric BTU, the amount of energy it took to
raise a gram of water 1 degree c.
They had some inflation when we started using it to describe food so
it became the amount of energy to raise a kg of water one degree c.

That last one is a kilocalorie, often written as Calorie (capitalized).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"I put out these milk and cookies as a sacrifice. If Thou wishest me to
eat them, please give me a sign by doing absolutely nothing.
MMMMmmmm..." [Homer Simpson]
Posted to alt.home.repair

James Wilkinson Sword posted for all of us...

On Wed, 01 Feb 2017 23:52:43 -0000, Mark Lloyd wrote:

[snip]

BTU: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_thermal_unit
The metric unit is the calorie.

No, for power it's the kWh. We don't use BTUs in the UK anymore.

Calories are only for your body.

It's a unit of energy. Where the energy is is irrelevant.

They can measure the Calorie content of food by burning it and measuring
the heat produced. This isn't in anyone's body.

Nobody uses calories outside of the human body. We'd be better using watts everywhere though.

What???

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 03 Feb 2017 21:44:52 -0000, Tekkie® wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword posted for all of us...

On Wed, 01 Feb 2017 23:52:43 -0000, Mark Lloyd wrote:

[snip]

BTU: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_thermal_unit
The metric unit is the calorie.

No, for power it's the kWh. We don't use BTUs in the UK anymore.

Calories are only for your body.

It's a unit of energy. Where the energy is is irrelevant.

They can measure the Calorie content of food by burning it and measuring
the heat produced. This isn't in anyone's body.

Nobody uses calories outside of the human body. We'd be better using watts everywhere though.

What???

No, watt.

--
Flanders and Swann on MOT tests:
Our car is getting a bit old, it'll have to be tested soon.