Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Leaking ball valve repair

I thought that ball valves were superior to the old valves with washers
and packings. But I have one which is my water main shutoff, and after
using it to shut off the water, it is now driping from below the handle.
It's not a huge amount of water and I put a small pan under it, but I'm
aftaid it may get worse.

Yea, I know I could change it, but I'd have to get the water utility to
shut off the water first. But before getting into all of that, I'm
wondering if there's a way to fix this one? Is there some sort of
packing or an o-ring in there? Or should I just try to tighten the piece
below the handle? (I know, if it's a packing or o-ring I'd still have to
get the water shut off, and if that's the case I may as well just
replace the valve.

Just thought I'd ask. I suppose I should google for some pictures of how
these valves are built and put together. I still cant see how they get
that ball piece inside of them. I doubt they mold the brass around that
ball, which looks to be stainless steel (from the ones I have looked at
in the store).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 29, 2017 at 5:43:51 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I thought that ball valves were superior to the old valves with washers
and packings. But I have one which is my water main shutoff, and after
using it to shut off the water, it is now driping from below the handle.
It's not a huge amount of water and I put a small pan under it, but I'm
aftaid it may get worse.

Yea, I know I could change it, but I'd have to get the water utility to
shut off the water first. But before getting into all of that, I'm
wondering if there's a way to fix this one? Is there some sort of
packing or an o-ring in there? Or should I just try to tighten the piece
below the handle? (I know, if it's a packing or o-ring I'd still have to
get the water shut off, and if that's the case I may as well just
replace the valve.

Bingo. None of the ball valves I've seen for residential type
use was repairable.

Just thought I'd ask. I suppose I should google for some pictures of how
these valves are built and put together. I still cant see how they get
that ball piece inside of them. I doubt they mold the brass around that
ball, which looks to be stainless steel (from the ones I have looked at
in the store).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/29/17 4:41 PM, wrote:
[...]

Look very closely.. One of the ends must be screwed or pushed
onto the valve body after
the ball is inserted. The seam on the end is hard to see. Left end
on this pictu

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41MAjduCEjL.jpg

There is something called valve stem packing. No idea if it would help:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=valve+packing&view=detailv2&&id=04E4BA1AE B8329FCEBAB2AD567791B14FE88FDAA&selectedIndex=91&c cid=B7xLDEz2&simid=607999669158677037&thid=OIP.M07 bc4b0c4cf6d1387ce946dfe529af48o0&ajaxhist=0

Home Depot or Ace Hardware should have it. It looks like string.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Jan 2017 17:53:42 -0600, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

There is something called valve stem packing. No idea if it would help:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=valve+packing&view=detailv2&&id=04E4BA1AE B8329FCEBAB2AD567791B14FE88FDAA&selectedIndex=91&c cid=B7xLDEz2&simid=607999669158677037&thid=OIP.M07 bc4b0c4cf6d1387ce946dfe529af48o0&ajaxhist=0

Home Depot or Ace Hardware should have it. It looks like string.

Commonly called packing "rope".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 29, 2017 at 5:52:29 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Check out this video. Well, actually it's the audio that makes it all
worth while.

https://youtu.be/oIifgYcTmd4

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Jan 2017 17:09:02 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Check out this video. Well, actually it's the audio that makes it all
worth while.

https://youtu.be/oIifgYcTmd4

Groan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/29/2017 5:41 PM, wrote:
[...]

Ball valves are than to gate and globe valves because they contain less
parts, are easier to turn, easily confirm open/shut position and
withstand integrity with unused longevity. Much also depends on the
brand, just as another other product. If it wore out at a young age, it
could be a cheap brand.

Overall, even if you could "repair" it, you would still need to shut off
the water, as you stated. Your best option is replacement.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 29, 2017 at 5:43:51 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Yea, I know I could change it, but I'd have to get the water utility to
shut off the water first.

See if there is a shutoff at your water meter.

In my neighborhood none of the houses were built with a master shutoff. All of us have a T-handle wrench for emergencies. The meter is in a box in the yard out by the curb, and there's a shutoff right there. I don't think the city is thrilled with everybody having their own wrench, but that $8 investment can save a lot of damage if something goes wrong, and we all use it to shut off the water when we change a washer, etc.

Can't help you with ball valve repair, never tried that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 30, 2017 at 8:10:59 AM UTC-5, TimR wrote:
On Sunday, January 29, 2017 at 5:43:51 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Yea, I know I could change it, but I'd have to get the water utility to
shut off the water first.

See if there is a shutoff at your water meter.

In my neighborhood none of the houses were built with a master shutoff. All of us have a T-handle wrench for emergencies. The meter is in a box in the yard out by the curb, and there's a shutoff right there. I don't think the city is thrilled with everybody having their own wrench, but that $8 investment can save a lot of damage if something goes wrong, and we all use it to shut off the water when we change a washer, etc.

Why do you have to shut off the main valve just to change a washer?

I don't know if you mean a faucet washer or a washing machine, but it
doesn't really matter. Each fixture should have it's own shut off so it
can be shut off without impacting the entire house. If they don't, that's
not on the town, that's on the homeowner.

Can't help you with ball valve repair, never tried that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 8:01:37 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Why do you have to shut off the main valve just to change a washer?

I don't know if you mean a faucet washer or a washing machine, but it
doesn't really matter. Each fixture should have it's own shut off so it
can be shut off without impacting the entire house. If they don't, that's
not on the town, that's on the homeowner.

In theory you are correct.

But I've never seen a house where all the angle stops shut off completely. Even if 9 out of 10 work fine, the washer you need to change is guaranteed to be on sink number 10.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/1/2017 5:10 AM, TimR wrote:

In theory you are correct.

But I've never seen a house where all the angle stops shut off completely. Even if 9 out of 10 work fine, the washer you need to change is guaranteed to be on sink number 10.

You seem well-versed in toiletry....