Posted to alt.home.repair
Meanie[_6_] Meanie[_6_] is offline

Default Leaking ball valve repair

On 1/29/2017 5:41 PM, wrote:
I thought that ball valves were superior to the old valves with washers
and packings. But I have one which is my water main shutoff, and after
using it to shut off the water, it is now driping from below the handle.
It's not a huge amount of water and I put a small pan under it, but I'm
aftaid it may get worse.

Yea, I know I could change it, but I'd have to get the water utility to
shut off the water first. But before getting into all of that, I'm
wondering if there's a way to fix this one? Is there some sort of
packing or an o-ring in there? Or should I just try to tighten the piece
below the handle? (I know, if it's a packing or o-ring I'd still have to
get the water shut off, and if that's the case I may as well just
replace the valve.

Just thought I'd ask. I suppose I should google for some pictures of how
these valves are built and put together. I still cant see how they get
that ball piece inside of them. I doubt they mold the brass around that
ball, which looks to be stainless steel (from the ones I have looked at
in the store).

Ball valves are than to gate and globe valves because they contain less
parts, are easier to turn, easily confirm open/shut position and
withstand integrity with unused longevity. Much also depends on the
brand, just as another other product. If it wore out at a young age, it
could be a cheap brand.

Overall, even if you could "repair" it, you would still need to shut off
the water, as you stated. Your best option is replacement.

---