Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water pressure regulators

I live in the mid south, and most water pressure regulators are
installed in front of the home and buried in the ground. After 10-15
years, they often fail and need to be replaced. That means finding them
and digging up so they can be replaced. My question is this: Why don't
they put a clay pipe or something similar around them and put a cover
over it? Water meters are installed that way. It seems burying it
makes replacement much more costly and difficult.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 15:05:55 -0600, Ken wrote:

I live in the mid south, and most water pressure regulators are
installed in front of the home and buried in the ground. After 10-15
years, they often fail and need to be replaced. That means finding them
and digging up so they can be replaced. My question is this: Why don't
they put a clay pipe or something similar around them and put a cover
over it? Water meters are installed that way. It seems burying it
makes replacement much more costly and difficult.

IDK the answer. My water pressure regulator is in the garage, mounted
along they wall so it is easy to adjust if necessary.
--
"Dodgeball in Burkas" -- Greg Gutfeld
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 28, 2017 at 3:06:11 PM UTC-6, Ken wrote:
I live in the mid south, and most water pressure regulators are
installed in front of the home and buried in the ground. After 10-15
years, they often fail and need to be replaced. That means finding them
and digging up so they can be replaced. My question is this: Why don't
they put a clay pipe or something similar around them and put a cover
over it? Water meters are installed that way. It seems burying it
makes replacement much more costly and difficult.

Here in Alabamastan, the water pressure regulators are usually installed in the crawlspace or basement where the supply line enters the foundation wall. I've crawled under a few houses to replace or install one. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Wet Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote:
On Saturday, January 28, 2017 at 3:06:11 PM UTC-6, Ken wrote:
I live in the mid south, and most water pressure regulators are
installed in front of the home and buried in the ground. After 10-15
years, they often fail and need to be replaced. That means finding them
and digging up so they can be replaced. My question is this: Why don't
they put a clay pipe or something similar around them and put a cover
over it? Water meters are installed that way. It seems burying it
makes replacement much more costly and difficult.

Here in Alabamastan, the water pressure regulators are usually installed in the crawlspace or basement where the supply line enters the foundation wall. I've crawled under a few houses to replace or install one. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Wet Monster

I have a crawl space, and the last time I replaced the regulator that is
where I put it. It just seemed stupid to cover it up and eventually
need to dig to replace it. I thought they might have feared freezing,
but the meter is not covered except by the cover I suggested. I
appreciate the input.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/28/17 5:02 PM, Ken wrote:

I have a crawl space, and the last time I replaced the regulator that is
where I put it. It just seemed stupid to cover it up and eventually
need to dig to replace it. I thought they might have feared freezing,
but the meter is not covered except by the cover I suggested. I
appreciate the input.

There is wrap around fiberglass insulation for those of us
farther north. It's cheap
and one can wrap a bunch of it around a pipe. There is also what looks
like a styrofoam pipe slit lengthwise to slip over the water pipe.
There is also heat tape. It probably isn't necessary if the water is
used on a regular basis.
I've never had problems despite being gone a few days in the dead of
winter. No heat tape. Highs might've been in the teens if my memory
is working.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ken wrote:
I live in the mid south, and most water pressure regulators are
installed in front of the home and buried in the ground. After 10-15
years, they often fail and need to be replaced. That means finding
them and digging up so they can be replaced. My question is this: Why
don't they put a clay pipe or something similar around them and
put a cover over it? Water meters are installed that way. It seems
burying it makes replacement much more costly and difficult.

Mine is right next to the meter , with a kitty litter bucket around it to
keep the dirt away . Useta have a regular 5 gal bucket around it , I
replaced that when I repaired the water line . Gravel truck ran over the
meter box and pushed it down on the line .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 28, 2017 at 4:22:27 PM UTC-5, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 15:05:55 -0600, Ken wrote:

I live in the mid south, and most water pressure regulators are
installed in front of the home and buried in the ground. After 10-15
years, they often fail and need to be replaced. That means finding them
and digging up so they can be replaced. My question is this: Why don't
they put a clay pipe or something similar around them and put a cover
over it? Water meters are installed that way. It seems burying it
makes replacement much more costly and difficult.

IDK the answer. My water pressure regulator is in the garage, mounted
along they wall so it is easy to adjust if necessary.
--
"Dodgeball in Burkas" -- Greg Gutfeld

None of the homes I've lived in have had a pressure regulator.
But if I had one, I don't know why in the world it would be buried
outside, unless it was owned by and the responsibility of the utility.
The supply line has to come into the house, and somewhere near there
is the logical place to put it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If it failed it does not matter. Stick one inside.