barry martin

Default Water Logged Basement

Pick:

P I live in St. Loius, and have water in my basement due to the large
P amounts of rainfall recently. I have a 1000 square foot basement, one side
P carpeted and finished, and one side uncarpeted and unfinished. Water on
P both sides due to seepage.
P I am using a shop-vac to suck up the water on the finished side, and have
P two dehumidifiers and a fan going to help dry the carpet. Short of tearing
P the carpet up, is there anything else I can do to make sure I do not get
P mold or have any other problems? This method worked good for me last week,
P and I almost had everything dried out until more storms came along.

We've got the same problem you do -- 5 miles upriver from Davenport,
IA/Rock Island, IL. Basement will leak due to rising water table (ah
great: it's raining again!).

We don't do anything special as far as mold prevention is concerned
following getting water in the basement. Wet-dry the water from the
carpet, move furniture to allow better air circulation. Running two
dehum's - one in each room on the carpeted side -- plus the ceiling
fans.

Not sure of what is under the carpet -- I've been told it's some sort
of a straw-like material. (Was installed before we bought the house.)
When the carpet is almost dry we'll shampoo it.

-
¯ barry.martinþATþthesafebbs.zeppole.com ®

* Regular naps prevent old age. Especially if you take them while driving.
---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P003186
þ The Safe BBS þ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
---
þ RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD *
Lost-In-Translation

This I can advise you on from experience. TAKE UP THE CARPET. suck out as
much water as you can then get it up and out - mold wasn't my problem, but
rot was. No matter what it seems that in a basement, you just can't get
carpeting dry enough, quick enough.

The other problem we had was my basement was paneled. The paneling warped
at the bottom, and don't even get me started on the mess it made out of the
drywall!

Good luck!

news:1253088429.561.878.2290312.1909819996.RIMEGat ...