barry martin

Default Water Logged Basement

Pick:

P I live in St. Loius, and have water in my basement due to the large
P amounts of rainfall recently. I have a 1000 square foot basement, one side
P carpeted and finished, and one side uncarpeted and unfinished. Water on
P both sides due to seepage.
P I am using a shop-vac to suck up the water on the finished side, and have
P two dehumidifiers and a fan going to help dry the carpet. Short of tearing
P the carpet up, is there anything else I can do to make sure I do not get
P mold or have any other problems? This method worked good for me last week,
P and I almost had everything dried out until more storms came along.

We've got the same problem you do -- 5 miles upriver from Davenport,
IA/Rock Island, IL. Basement will leak due to rising water table (ah
great: it's raining again!).

We don't do anything special as far as mold prevention is concerned
following getting water in the basement. Wet-dry the water from the
carpet, move furniture to allow better air circulation. Running two
dehum's - one in each room on the carpeted side -- plus the ceiling
fans.

Not sure of what is under the carpet -- I've been told it's some sort
of a straw-like material. (Was installed before we bought the house.)
When the carpet is almost dry we'll shampoo it.

-
¯ barry.martinþATþthesafebbs.zeppole.com ®

* Regular naps prevent old age. Especially if you take them while driving.
---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P003186
þ The Safe BBS þ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
---
þ RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD *