Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thirteen kids. No debt.

From the U.K. Daily Mail:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4069604/We-live-pleasant-simple-lives-Meet-couple-earn-110-000-year-THIRTEEN-kids-college-funds-never-owed-cent-debt.html#ixzz4U71ut92v

The couple makes about $110,000 per year. The borrowed money only
to buy their house which is paid off now. The money they were paying to
the house mortgage is going into retirement funds now. He's 49, she's
46.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/28/2016 05:52 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
From the U.K. Daily Mail:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4069604/We-live-pleasant-simple-lives-Meet-couple-earn-110-000-year-THIRTEEN-kids-college-funds-never-owed-cent-debt.html#ixzz4U71ut92v

The couple makes about $110,000 per year. The borrowed money only to
buy their house which is paid off now. The money they were paying to
the house mortgage is going into retirement funds now. He's 49, she's 46.

He got paid more than I did, but FWIW, I raised one kid with zero debt.

I taught her how to invest all her birthday and Christmas money.
She did so well she paid for most of her own college, I just had to help
her out with a few minor expenses.

I knew she made it on the day she called just to say "hi" rather than at
the end of the conversation saying, "Oh Dad, by the way..."

Also: I busted my butt and had my house paid off by the time I was 45. I
put the max I could into retirement and after my SSN take a fairly
minimal amount out of my 401 plan.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 28, 2016 at 12:43:19 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 12/28/2016 05:52 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
From the U.K. Daily Mail:
[...]

I don't know your age or the amount in your 401k, but if you have any room
left in your current tax bracket, you might want to consider doing Roth
conversions.

Once you hit 70.5 the RMD might push you into a higher tax bracket. By reducing the value of your 401k and paying taxes now, you may avoid higher
taxes later on.

There are calculators on the web that can help you decide if a conversion
makes sense and if so, how much.

You still have 3 days to do a Roth conversion this year. Hurry up! ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/28/2016 11:52 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, December 28, 2016 at 12:43:19 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 12/28/2016 05:52 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
From the U.K. Daily Mail:
[...]

The 401 I have gives a guaranteed monthly income, even if the investment
itself would tank.

If I need extra cash for anything I have a stock market portfolio as
well. In the last 45 years Ive only needed to take out $10k.
Might have to tap into it in a few years when my house will get an
entire new roof

FWIF: I'm 67 years old and more then likely will be around for the rest
of my life
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 28, 2016 at 1:03:49 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 12/28/2016 11:52 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, December 28, 2016 at 12:43:19 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 12/28/2016 05:52 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
From the U.K. Daily Mail:
[...]

Unless I am misunderstanding something, nothing in what you've said addresses
the issue of being pushed into a higher tax bracket once your RMD (Required
Minimum Distribution) begins at age 70.5.

Are you familiar with how an RMD can impact your tax bracket?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/28/2016 12:10 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

If I need extra cash for anything I have a stock market portfolio as
well. In the last 45 years Ive only needed to take out $10k.
Might have to tap into it in a few years when my house will get an
entire new roof

FWIF: I'm 67 years old and more then likely will be around for the rest
of my life

Unless I am misunderstanding something, nothing in what you've said addresses
the issue of being pushed into a higher tax bracket once your RMD (Required
Minimum Distribution) begins at age 70.5.

Are you familiar with how an RMD can impact your tax bracket?

The chance of me being pushed into a higher tax bracket is essentially
zero.

My 401 is rather modest but it's enough
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 28, 2016 at 2:01:36 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 12/28/2016 12:10 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

If I need extra cash for anything I have a stock market portfolio as
well. In the last 45 years Ive only needed to take out $10k.
Might have to tap into it in a few years when my house will get an
entire new roof

FWIF: I'm 67 years old and more then likely will be around for the rest
of my life

Unless I am misunderstanding something, nothing in what you've said addresses
the issue of being pushed into a higher tax bracket once your RMD (Required
Minimum Distribution) begins at age 70.5.

Are you familiar with how an RMD can impact your tax bracket?

The chance of me being pushed into a higher tax bracket is essentially
zero.

My 401 is rather modest but it's enough

That's all I wanted to hear. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/28/2016 01:37 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
RMD can impact your tax bracket?

The chance of me being pushed into a higher tax bracket is essentially
zero.

My 401 is rather modest but it's enough

That's all I wanted to hear. ;-)

I had been at my job 38 years, but they did not start a retirement
program until about midway in my career...at least I have something there.

Better than nothing though
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 28, 2016 at 2:46:12 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 12/28/2016 01:37 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
RMD can impact your tax bracket?

The chance of me being pushed into a higher tax bracket is essentially
zero.

My 401 is rather modest but it's enough

That's all I wanted to hear. ;-)

I had been at my job 38 years, but they did not start a retirement
program until about midway in my career...at least I have something there.

Better than nothing though

I assume that your "stock portfolio" is in a non-qualified account?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Dec 2016 05:52:49 -0600, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

From the U.K. Daily Mail:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4069604/We-live-pleasant-simple-lives-Meet-couple-earn-110-000-year-THIRTEEN-kids-college-funds-never-owed-cent-debt.html#ixzz4U71ut92v

The couple makes about $110,000 per year. The borrowed money only
to buy their house which is paid off now. The money they were paying to
the house mortgage is going into retirement funds now. He's 49, she's
46.

"Former 'Dirty Jobs' host Mike Rowe tells Tucker how he is working to
train Americans for jobs that actually exist"

Tells of a 25 year old welder making 140K that has paid of his home,
already.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/5262552698001/?playlist_id=5198073478001#sp=show-clips

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/28/2016 01:49 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, December 28, 2016 at 2:46:12 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 12/28/2016 01:37 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
RMD can impact your tax bracket?

The chance of me being pushed into a higher tax bracket is essentially
zero.

My 401 is rather modest but it's enough

That's all I wanted to hear. ;-)

I had been at my job 38 years, but they did not start a retirement
program until about midway in my career...at least I have something there.

Better than nothing though

I assume that your "stock portfolio" is in a non-qualified account?

Correct.

I also decided that "if you can't fight 'em, join 'em" and purchased
stock in the company that provides my credit card.

Sheesh, I bet I've made as much money on the stock as I spend buying things!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/28/2016 02:08 PM, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 28 Dec 2016 05:52:49 -0600, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

From the U.K. Daily Mail:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4069604/We-live-pleasant-simple-lives-Meet-couple-earn-110-000-year-THIRTEEN-kids-college-funds-never-owed-cent-debt.html#ixzz4U71ut92v

The couple makes about $110,000 per year. The borrowed money only
to buy their house which is paid off now. The money they were paying to
the house mortgage is going into retirement funds now. He's 49, she's
46.

"Former 'Dirty Jobs' host Mike Rowe tells Tucker how he is working to
train Americans for jobs that actually exist"

Tells of a 25 year old welder making 140K that has paid of his home,
already.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/5262552698001/?playlist_id=5198073478001#sp=show-clips

Here is a friend of mine who makes a good living as a blacksmith, his
kids are taking up the trade as well

http://www.history.com/shows/milwauk...ast/kent-knapp
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 28, 2016 at 3:25:51 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 12/28/2016 01:49 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, December 28, 2016 at 2:46:12 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 12/28/2016 01:37 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
RMD can impact your tax bracket?

The chance of me being pushed into a higher tax bracket is essentially
zero.

My 401 is rather modest but it's enough

That's all I wanted to hear. ;-)

I had been at my job 38 years, but they did not start a retirement
program until about midway in my career...at least I have something there.

Better than nothing though

I assume that your "stock portfolio" is in a non-qualified account?

Correct.

I also decided that "if you can't fight 'em, join 'em" and purchased
stock in the company that provides my credit card.

Sheesh, I bet I've made as much money on the stock as I spend buying things!

Breaking even is not a bad thing, plus you've got the "things". ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/28/2016 02:32 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I assume that your "stock portfolio" is in a non-qualified account?

Correct.

I also decided that "if you can't fight 'em, join 'em" and purchased
stock in the company that provides my credit card.

Sheesh, I bet I've made as much money on the stock as I spend buying things!

Breaking even is not a bad thing, plus you've got the "things". ;-)

I only buy things that I can afford.

If I don't have the money, I don't buy it.

So I have no interest to pay and it all works out pretty well.

If one has half a brain, Capitalism works very well, and doggone it. I
do have half a brain almost.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/28/16 2:08 PM, Oren wrote:

"Former 'Dirty Jobs' host Mike Rowe tells Tucker how he is working to
train Americans for jobs that actually exist"

Tells of a 25 year old welder making 140K that has paid of his home,
already.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/5262552698001/?playlist_id=5198073478001#sp=show-clips

I think the foundation he mentioned awards scholarships. My
parents called the schools trade schools.
Have you seen his podcasts "The way I heard it"?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1xMabN_8v4
and on Tunein:
http://tunein.com/radio/The-Way-I-Heard-It-with-Mike-Rowe-p838144/