Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Renewal By Andersen ?

Hi,

Would appreciate any thoughts and opinions on windows
by Renewal by Andersen.

Hard to understand.

If I order windows direct from Andersen, and hire a Carpenter to install
them, they
are of wood. As one would expect.

However, if I go to the Renewal by Andersen folks, which is apparently a
franchise of the main
Andersen company, all their windows are not of wood, but apparently some
composite material.

Why ?
Any good ?
Wood better ?
etc. ?

Pros and cons, ?

Funny that they would each use a different material.
Some made here, and some from China, maybe ?

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 27, 2016 at 12:40:07 PM UTC-5, Bob wrote:
[...]

Are you sure you understood what you were told?

All of the "Renewal by Anderson" windows are composite. "Renewal by Anderson"
is actually a separate company which owned by Anderson. They use the same
composite material (Fibrex) which Anderson uses to make their own composite
windows, but "Renewal by Anderson" custom manufactures, sells, etc. their
own windows under the "Renewal by Anderson" name.

Anderson does sell wooden windows as shown at the following link, but you
won't see "Renewal by Anderson" listed on that page.

https://www.andersenwindows.com/mate...windows-doors/

Anderson also sells composite windows as shown at the link below and they
do include a link for "Renewal by Anderson", but once you click that link
you leave the andersenwindows.com site and are taken to the
renewalbyandersen.com site where it says in tiny print "An Anderson company".

https://www.andersenwindows.com/mate...windows-doors/

Bottom line: If you want wooden windows, you don't want "Renewal by Anderson"
windows.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/27/2016 12:18 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Anderson also sells composite windows as shown at the link below and they
do include a link for "Renewal by Anderson", but once you click that link
you leave the andersenwindows.com site and are taken to the
renewalbyandersen.com site where it says in tiny print "An Anderson company".

https://www.andersenwindows.com/mate...windows-doors/

Bottom line: If you want wooden windows, you don't want "Renewal by Anderson"
windows.

+1

The "renewal" line is what it implies by the word; they're
replacement-only market as opposed to new construction that the Andersen
window also or primarily targets...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 12:48:46 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 12/27/2016 12:18 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Anderson also sells composite windows as shown at the link below and they
do include a link for "Renewal by Anderson", but once you click that link
you leave the andersenwindows.com site and are taken to the
renewalbyandersen.com site where it says in tiny print "An Anderson company".

https://www.andersenwindows.com/mate...windows-doors/

Bottom line: If you want wooden windows, you don't want "Renewal by Anderson"
windows.

+1

The "renewal" line is what it implies by the word; they're
replacement-only market as opposed to new construction that the Andersen
window also or primarily targets...

Check to see if the windows need to be installed by a certified,
factory trained installer. IIRC, some will not guarantee the warranty
if installed by a fly by night installer. Check.

I'd go with the composite Fibrex...

"...a material that is 2x as strong as vinyl, performs better when
exposed to extreme temperatures and delivers exteriors that won’t
fade, flake, blister or peel."...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 27, 2016 at 2:44:14 PM UTC-5, Oren wrote:
[...]

I'd rather hear that from a source other than the folks that are selling
it. Just sayin' ;-)

https://www.andersenwindows.com/mate...windows-doors/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Check to see if the windows need to be installed by a certified,
factory trained installer. IIRC, some will not guarantee the warranty
if installed by a fly by night installer. Check.

I'd go with the composite Fibrex...

"...a material that is 2x as strong as vinyl, performs better when
exposed to extreme temperatures and delivers exteriors that won’t
fade, flake, blister or peel."...

I'd rather hear that from a source other than the folks that are selling
it. Just sayin' ;-)

https://www.andersenwindows.com/mate...windows-doors/

Yep. I found it helpful to have several different companies come
& quote my window replacements. I learned a bit from each of them as
we scoped the job. The last estimate was a friend who was the only
one to suggest a window with awning style openers at the bottom -
to replace similar slider-bottom picture windows - I didn't know
such a thing existed - it has worked out well.
We drove around a few neighbourhoods to scope out the type of grille
- we decided on a style the suited the home and the windows.
I went with the local reputable manufacturer who requires one of
their approved contractors to do the install.
http://www.strassburger.net/

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/27/2016 12:40 PM, Bob wrote:
[...]

I tend to shy away from the mass market stuff but they do seem to be a
good window. We chose to go with Marvin for a couple of reasons

http://www.marvin.com/marvin/windows/double-hung

They had the style we wanted, the finishes we wanted, and an excellent
dealer that did a superb installation.

Its a big investment so be sure to shop around and get what you really
want.

I also did a rough estimate of payback from savings in heat. If I save
5% of my heating bill, I'll break even in 233 years. Fortunately there
were other reasons for the change. Easy cleaning and no painting are at
the top of the list. I even paid extra for the interior to be
prefinished.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Idiot!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 12:40:07 -0500, Bob wrote:

[...]

When you buy a "chevy" it can be any one of a dozen models. The
"renewall" line of windows is like a cheap chevy Optra or Cruise,
compared to the "real" Andersons being something more along the line
of an Impala or Corvette.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 18:04:28 -0500, wrote:

[...]

Straussburger (out of Kitchener-Waterloo) makes pretty good windows,
and if installed by an approved contractor, stand behind them 100%.

If you are not in the south-central Ontario area you are kinda out of
luck though - they are a "regional" presence, by and large.

Same with SouthField out of Elmira. Golden out of Kitchener has a
wider presence.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 12:01:05 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

Point taken. One company, I'm told, would not sell windows to a
contractor (Fred & Chris) unless trained by specification standards
for the company. I can see the point. If Fred is buying thousands of
windows and not trained the way the company wants them installed, the
company would be dealing with hundreds of warranty claims. A bunch of
hassle. Fred and Chris then trains their crew to install the windows
correctly. Yes Fred and Chris trained me :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You know, I hear that "trained certified installer" thing a lot. I wonder
how much of it is a gimmick/sales tactic.

I bought my Simonton windows through a contractor supply house. Installed
them myself. Years later I had one sash go bad - it started fogging up
between the panes. I followed the instructions I was given when I bought
them.

I called Simonton directly and gave them the serial number from the label
on the sash. About a week later a new, custom made sash show up at my door,
free of charge. Apparently that will happen for as long as I live in the
house. They didn't ask me who installed them or anything. All they needed
was the serial number and they pulled my record up, built the window and
shipped it out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

And they knew you didn't buy them from a trained installer. Now, if
the problem was the windows didn't operate properly, stuck, or leaked,
the warrantee situation would have been different (most likely)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/28/2016 7:18 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

You know, I hear that "trained certified installer" thing a lot. I wonder
how much of it is a gimmick/sales tactic.

What, you don't have 15 minutes to take the course?

I imagine it helps to keep the price up and keeps the real hacks from
making a mess. Many years ago I used to have a little sideline business
selling and installing replacement windows. Our requirements were to
pay for the windows when picking them up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Well, I guess this untrained, uncertified installer either got lucky or
the training is BS. Other than that single foggy sash I haven't had a
single problem with leaks, stuck windows or improper operation. I did
double hungs, casements and a large picture window. As they say, it ain't
rocket science.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That's because YOU know how to install a window. You know what
straight, square, level and plumb are. You have some pride in your
workmanship. There are quite a few "installers" who know none of
that, and have no pride in their work. It's not just training they do
- it is certifying - and there are some installation companies that
could NEVER achieve certification, from, for instance, Marvin Windows.
Some companies don't need the short-term money badly enough to let
some companies sell their product.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob posted for all of us...

[...]

I know someone whom had a problem with their Andersen French door. He call
them and they asked for the serial number. After locating it, they sent a
new one (bad batch, they said). He had to pay for install. He was happy.

--
Tekkie