Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Good bye cable TV

SS going up 3 dollars, cable TV went up 5, and the supplemental health
insurance... who knows? Whatever, gotta make ends meet one way or the
other. Actually it's more of a protest against pro sports and the
outrageous salaries they demand than the five bucks. Over the air TV
here I come (again). UHF is pretty easy to get, a couple of stations
are VHS but I'm not sticking up a long element big antenna just for them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 11:02:04 -0600, My 2 Cents wrote:

SS going up 3 dollars, cable TV went up 5, and the supplemental health
insurance... who knows? Whatever, gotta make ends meet one way or the
other. Actually it's more of a protest against pro sports and the
outrageous salaries they demand than the five bucks. Over the air TV
here I come (again). UHF is pretty easy to get, a couple of stations
are VHS but I'm not sticking up a long element big antenna just for them.

If you are within 25 miles or so of the tower, you can get VHF with a
coat hanger. A lot depends on the receiver in the TV but most are
pretty good. I am getting Ch11 30 miles away with one of those twin
lead di-pole antennas you used to get in the bag with a new TV. The
UHF works OK with the wire loop. (Samsung flat screen)
My free gov'ment converter works on them too but the tuner in the Dish
box and the TiVo not so much.
Posted to alt.home.repair

My 2 Cents wrote:

SS going up 3 dollars, cable TV went up 5, and the supplemental
health insurance... who knows? Whatever, gotta make ends meet one
way or the other. Actually it's more of a protest against pro sports
and the outrageous salaries they demand than the five bucks. Over
the air TV here I come (again). UHF is pretty easy to get, a couple
of stations are VHS but I'm not sticking up a long element big
antenna just for them.

You can get a streaming service such as Amazon Prime, Hulu, Roko etc.
You loose not much dumping cable/satellite tv.
Most over the air stations are digital now.
Easy to receive, but state controlled media is left biased.
Dump them also.
Posted to alt.home.repair

My 2 Cents wrote in news
SS going up 3 dollars, cable TV went up 5, and the supplemental

health
insurance... who knows? Whatever, gotta make ends meet one way or the
other. Actually it's more of a protest against pro sports and the
outrageous salaries they demand than the five bucks. Over the air TV
here I come (again). UHF is pretty easy to get, a couple of stations
are VHS but I'm not sticking up a long element big antenna just for

them.

That happened to me back in the mid-90s. Cable TV cost doubled. Dropped
it and junked TV. Best decision I ever made. Now I read a lot and listen
to local NPR station on the radio - lots of good news shows and music at
night. Also satellite radio. Lots of good classical, jazz, and other
music. I've got so I hate TV if I pass a demo in a store electronics
dept. I listen to a few TV-audio only news channels on satellite a few
minutes a day while I'm doing calisthenics - seems like more commercials
than news on NBC, CNN, etc. Can't imagine how I ever watched TV in the
past. Good riddance!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/20/2016 12:02 PM, My 2 Cents wrote:
SS going up 3 dollars, cable TV went up 5, and the supplemental health
insurance... who knows? Whatever, gotta make ends meet one way or the
other. Actually it's more of a protest against pro sports and the
outrageous salaries they demand than the five bucks. Over the air TV
here I come (again). UHF is pretty easy to get, a couple of stations
are VHS but I'm not sticking up a long element big antenna just for them.

Cost of cable continues to rise and many are dropping the service. I did
so about two years ago when I finally grew tired of those rising costs.
I did erect a omni directional OVA antenna and receive over 65 channels,
though, several are religious and kids channels, there are plenty of
others for me but it ends up I don't watch TV as much anymore and saving
$120 a month.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My 2 wrote:
SS going up 3 dollars, cable TV went up 5, and the supplemental health
insurance... who knows? Whatever, gotta make ends meet one way or the
other. Actually it's more of a protest against pro sports and the
outrageous salaries they demand than the five bucks. Over the air TV
here I come (again). UHF is pretty easy to get, a couple of stations
are VHS but I'm not sticking up a long element big antenna just for them.

You can get a directional antenna on eBay for 30 dollars, that includes shipping.

That plus a digital descrambler, if you need one, will get you a lot of channels.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"My 2 Cents" wrote in message
news
SS going up 3 dollars, cable TV went up 5, and the supplemental health
insurance... who knows? Whatever, gotta make ends meet one way or the
other. Actually it's more of a protest against pro sports and the
outrageous salaries they demand than the five bucks. Over the air TV here
I come (again). UHF is pretty easy to get, a couple of stations are VHS
but I'm not sticking up a long element big antenna just for them.

I dumped DirecTV almost 3 years ago. Can't get over the air, too far away
so I bought a Roku which will get a ton of streaming stuff. Unfortunately,
most of the free channels include commercials, some of the pay ones do to
(Hulu+) so we subscribed to Netflix for $9.00/mo and Acorn for $6.00. I am
content.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My 2 Cents wrote:
SS going up 3 dollars, cable TV went up 5, and the supplemental
health insurance... who knows? Whatever, gotta make ends meet one way
or the other. Actually it's more of a protest against pro sports and
the outrageous salaries they demand than the five bucks. Over the air
TV here I come (again). UHF is pretty easy to get, a couple of
stations are VHS but I'm not sticking up a long element big antenna
just for them.

I dropped it 3 or 4 years ago. Wish I had done it earlier. The rabbit
ears from Best Buy ($10.99) does just fine--about 26 reasonable
stations. Same goes for the "land line" (which got replaced with a
Trac phone). Of course, an even bigger one was cigarettes, $150-175/mo.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 20 Dec 2016 17:52:14 GMT, KenK wrote in

My 2 Cents wrote in news
SS going up 3 dollars, cable TV went up 5, and the supplemental

health
insurance... who knows? Whatever, gotta make ends meet one way or the
other. Actually it's more of a protest against pro sports and the
outrageous salaries they demand than the five bucks. Over the air TV
here I come (again). UHF is pretty easy to get, a couple of stations
are VHS but I'm not sticking up a long element big antenna just for

them.

That happened to me back in the mid-90s. Cable TV cost doubled. Dropped
it and junked TV. Best decision I ever made. Now I read a lot and listen
to local NPR station on the radio - lots of good news shows and music at
night. Also satellite radio. Lots of good classical, jazz, and other
music. I've got so I hate TV

Same here 30 years ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Meanie wrote:
On 12/20/2016 12:02 PM, My 2 Cents wrote:
SS going up 3 dollars, cable TV went up 5, and the supplemental
health insurance... who knows? Whatever, gotta make ends meet one
way or the other. Actually it's more of a protest against pro
sports and the outrageous salaries they demand than the five bucks. Over
the air TV here I come (again). UHF is pretty easy to get, a
couple of stations are VHS but I'm not sticking up a long element
big antenna just for them.

Cost of cable continues to rise and many are dropping the service. I
did so about two years ago when I finally grew tired of those rising
costs. I did erect a omni directional OVA antenna and receive over 65
channels, though, several are religious and kids channels, there are
plenty of others for me but it ends up I don't watch TV as much
anymore and saving $120 a month.

If we could get OTA we'd drop the satellite ... but we live down in The
Holler and we're a hundred miles from the nearest broadcaster . We used to
get 3 or 4 channels before they all went digital , now we get zip .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/20/2016 12:02 PM, My 2 Cents wrote:
SS going up 3 dollars, cable TV went up 5, and the supplemental health
insurance... who knows? Whatever, gotta make ends meet one way or the
other. Actually it's more of a protest against pro sports and the
outrageous salaries they demand than the five bucks. Over the air TV
here I come (again). UHF is pretty easy to get, a couple of stations
are VHS but I'm not sticking up a long element big antenna just for them.

Many options depending on your wants and needs. I called and asked what
I have to do to drop the service. Next thing I know I'm paying $40 a
month less. Well worth the 10 minutes of my life to call.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/20/2016 11:02 AM, My 2 Cents wrote:
SS going up 3 dollars, cable TV went up 5, and the supplemental health
insurance... who knows? Whatever, gotta make ends meet one way or the
other. Actually it's more of a protest against pro sports and the
outrageous salaries they demand than the five bucks. Over the air TV
here I come (again). UHF is pretty easy to get, a couple of stations
are VHS but I'm not sticking up a long element big antenna just for them.

I canceled my cable TV 25 years ago and threw the TV out altogether.

Best move I ever made.

If my bill averaged out to be $100 a month that would have been $30k

exactly what I paid for my house in 1979

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 20, 2016 at 3:36:04 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/20/2016 12:02 PM, My 2 Cents wrote:
SS going up 3 dollars, cable TV went up 5, and the supplemental health
insurance... who knows? Whatever, gotta make ends meet one way or the
other. Actually it's more of a protest against pro sports and the
outrageous salaries they demand than the five bucks. Over the air TV
here I come (again). UHF is pretty easy to get, a couple of stations
are VHS but I'm not sticking up a long element big antenna just for them.

Many options depending on your wants and needs. I called and asked what
I have to do to drop the service. Next thing I know I'm paying $40 a
month less. Well worth the 10 minutes of my life to call.

I have an Amazon Prime membership that costs me $9.99 per month and I can watch programming from my laptop or tablet wherever I can get WiFi. The hospital and SNF have fast Internet service connected to their WiFi and I eschew watching the TV except for local news while eating my meals. What I like about using my computer is that I can watch programming when I want to on my schedule. I can get on the pirate sites and watch the latest movies too. Of course I use a proxy when I'm connected to the Internet. There are pirate sites that have the latest TV shows too which is why one needs a good anti virus/malware program on their computer before going to those sites. Arrrrr. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Pirate Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair
AL AL is offline

On 12/20/2016 2:36 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Many options depending on your wants and needs. I called and asked
what I have to do to drop the service. Next thing I know I'm paying
$40 a month less. Well worth the 10 minutes of my life to call.

Yup. I have a yearly ritual of calling Cox and getting a new discount
for the following year. It varies but generally I get around 50 bucks a
month off. Well worth the time IMO.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 11:02:04 -0600, My 2 Cents wrote:

SS going up 3 dollars, cable TV went up 5, and the supplemental health
insurance... who knows? Whatever, gotta make ends meet one way or the
other. Actually it's more of a protest against pro sports and the
outrageous salaries they demand than the five bucks. Over the air TV
here I come (again). UHF is pretty easy to get, a couple of stations
are VHS but I'm not sticking up a long element big antenna just for them.

Keep this up and I'll be standing on a street corner holding a sign
"will climb poles for food".

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per KenK:
I've got so I hate TV if I pass a demo in a store electronics
dept. I listen to a few TV-audio only news channels on satellite a few
minutes a day while I'm doing calisthenics - seems like more commercials
than news on NBC, CNN, etc. Can't imagine how I ever watched TV in the
past. Good riddance!

When I was living in Hawaii, I went something like seven years without
ever seeing a TV screen.

Then one day a Lum's Deli opened up near the University of Hawaii campus
and I wandered in to scope it out.

On the wall behind the counter they had a TV.

I must've sat there for at least a half-hour - absolutely transfixed.

What people (including me now) don't realize is that TV is so stylized
that it approaches Kabuki in it's own way... the characters on screen
looked sooooo bizarre to me and they way they spoke was just as strange.

After I moved back to the mainland, I never got cable or satellite -
always over-the-air TV. Every so many months, we *still* get some
nice young person knocking at the door to tell us that we are the only
household within x miles that doesn't have cable and wouldn't we like to
get with the rest of the world.

I have a PC-based DVR and a NAS box. Between the DVR and a
subscription to NetFlix's DVD service, I have more good, interesting
stuff in the can that I could ever hope to watch..... maybe if I became
a quadriplegic I could watch all of it... but right now there aren't
enough free hours in the day to make much of a dent...
--
Pete Cresswell