Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I guess it is time for a new washing machine

The spin cycle stops. I can open the lid and close it again and the
spin starts but will only run for a few seconds and stops.

I assume this is the motor going bad.

Any less expensive solutions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, December 12, 2016 at 3:59:02 PM UTC-5, Seymore4Head wrote:
The spin cycle stops. I can open the lid and close it again and the
spin starts but will only run for a few seconds and stops.

I assume this is the motor going bad.

Any less expensive solutions?

Re-balance the load.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Seymore4Head expressed precisely :
The spin cycle stops. I can open the lid and close it again and the
spin starts but will only run for a few seconds and stops.

I assume this is the motor going bad.

Any less expensive solutions?

Exact make and model of washer?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 15:54:49 -0500, Seymore4Head
wrote:

The spin cycle stops. I can open the lid and close it again and the
spin starts but will only run for a few seconds and stops.

I assume this is the motor going bad.

Any less expensive solutions?

If it gets that far through the cycle OK, I bet the motor is OK. If it
is an old machine without the microprocessor, I would start with the
lid switch. On the old ones, you can just bypass it to test.
It might be the timer but opening and closing the lid would not do
anything to the timer contacts that just banging on the top would not
do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The spin cycle stops. I can open the lid and close it again and the
spin starts but will only run for a few seconds and stops.

I assume this is the motor going bad.

Any less expensive solutions?

https://www.repairclinic.com/ start there. It is less expensive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-12-12, Seymore4Head wrote:

Any less expensive solutions?

Yer neighbor or friend ....if you have any.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The spin cycle stops. I can open the lid and close it again and the
spin starts but will only run for a few seconds and stops.

I assume this is the motor going bad.

Any less expensive solutions?

The wash was a set of king size sheets and 3 xtra large towels. I
just took out the towels (they were really heavy) I let the sheets
spin by themselves.
When I put the sheets in the dryer I put the wet and heavy towels back
in and started the spin. After a few seconds the washer stopped
again.

I took the time to wrap the towels around evenly and tried again. This
time after a few seconds I heard a click (centrifugal switch) after
roughly the same time as the spin ran before and the machine kept
spinning.

So 3 xtra large towels unevenly distributed are making the machine
balk.

BTW the machine is a 15 year old Maytag.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That's why I said "re-balance the load".

Most machines, even a 15 YO one, are designed so as not to beat themselves to death
by trying to spin an uneven load. There are sensors inside that shut it down if the tub wobbles
too much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yeah. Thanks for the tip. It worked.

It is a bit strange that I have been doing towels for 15 years and
never had to balance them before.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Make sure one of the springs did not pop off the tub.