Posted to alt.home.repair
Seymore4Head Seymore4Head is offline

Default I guess it is time for a new washing machine

On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 15:54:49 -0500, Seymore4Head
wrote:

The spin cycle stops. I can open the lid and close it again and the
spin starts but will only run for a few seconds and stops.

I assume this is the motor going bad.

Any less expensive solutions?

The wash was a set of king size sheets and 3 xtra large towels. I
just took out the towels (they were really heavy) I let the sheets
spin by themselves.
When I put the sheets in the dryer I put the wet and heavy towels back
in and started the spin. After a few seconds the washer stopped
again.

I took the time to wrap the towels around evenly and tried again. This
time after a few seconds I heard a click (centrifugal switch) after
roughly the same time as the spin ran before and the machine kept
spinning.

So 3 xtra large towels unevenly distributed are making the machine
balk.

BTW the machine is a 15 year old Maytag.