Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Chest freezer -- erratic temperature

Our 15-yr-old chest freezer's temperature varies widely. Since we
defrosted it a couple of weeks ago (and before that too) I've seen
temperatures ranging from -8F to +18F, even when set to max. cold.

Replace thermostat?

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 16:25:23 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

Our 15-yr-old chest freezer's temperature varies widely. Since we
defrosted it a couple of weeks ago (and before that too) I've seen
temperatures ranging from -8F to +18F, even when set to max. cold.

Replace thermostat?

Perce

IDK. It takes a little time for the temps to stabilize after a
defrost. Have you filled it with the frozen food you took out?
Posted to alt.home.repair

****ed off. Nothing to contribute to this but just put a 6.9 in the online walmart cart. 40 bucks off if i get their credit card. I apply and next is Call this number. I call and it asked me for my account number which i do not have yat. Fm, ill get one from HD. In cart, they will not deliver. Batting zero. Ill buy a Q instead.

Maybe to contribute...some need ambient at 55f to work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/12/2016 04:32 PM, Oren wrote:

Our 15-yr-old chest freezer's temperature varies widely. Since we
defrosted it a couple of weeks ago (and before that too) I've seen
temperatures ranging from -8F to +18F, even when set to max. cold.

Replace thermostat?

IDK. It takes a little time for the temps to stabilize after a
defrost. Have you filled it with the frozen food you took out?

The temperature varied even before the most recent defrosting session --
and its now been two weeks since the most recent defrosting. And yes, we
put beck the frozen food we took out -- which wasn't out for very long
anyway (and most of it in a cooler with some "freezer packs").

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, November 12, 2016 at 3:23:45 PM UTC-6, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
Our 15-yr-old chest freezer's temperature varies widely. Since we
defrosted it a couple of weeks ago (and before that too) I've seen
temperatures ranging from -8F to +18F, even when set to max. cold.

Replace thermostat?

Perce

You can jump across the thermostat and observe the temperature over a set period of time. When I was working on refrigeration equipment, I used a temperature logger that recorded the temperature over time and some of my loggers even had a connection for and external event to be recorded like the compressor running or the door being open. You can get an inexpensive one from Amazon. You could find all sorts of ways to play with it.ヽ(ヅ)ノ

https://www.amazon.com/Elitech-RC-5-.../dp/B00MQSCZF2

[8~{} Uncle Ice Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

Perce,

How are the gaskets? Like you, I'd suspect the thermostat

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, November 12, 2016 at 8:50:18 PM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

Or even simpler, when it's too warm, is it running constantly? If so
then it's not the thermostat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Our 15-yr-old chest freezer's temperature varies widely. Since we
defrosted it a couple of weeks ago (and before that too) I've seen
temperatures ranging from -8F to +18F, even when set to max. cold.

Replace thermostat?

Perce

Considering how much more energy efficient the current crop are, I'd
replace it. Probably won't cost a whole lot more than trial and error
parts replacement on current one- and electricity savings will pay back
soon.

Remember to remove the door/lid before putting the old one out at the curb.

--
The older we get, the fewer things seem worth waiting in line for.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/13/2016 11:41 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Our 15-yr-old chest freezer's temperature varies widely. Since we
defrosted it a couple of weeks ago (and before that too) I've seen
temperatures ranging from -8F to +18F, even when set to max. cold.

Replace thermostat?

You can jump across the thermostat and observe the temperature over a set period of time. When I was working on refrigeration equipment, I used a temperature logger that recorded the temperature over time and some of my loggers even had a connection for and external event to be recorded like the compressor running or the door being open. You can get an inexpensive one from Amazon. You could find all sorts of ways to play with it.ヽ(ヅ)ノ

https://www.amazon.com/Elitech-RC-5-.../dp/B00MQSCZF2

[8~{} Uncle Ice Monster

Or even simpler, when it's too warm, is it running constantly? If so
then it's not the thermostat.

Today it's at -9.7F. When it's too warm, I still feel heat from the
vents of the compressor compartment, but I can't say I took note of
whether the compressor was actually running.

But if the compressor is defective, or the Freon is low, how would it
ever get down to -9.7F?

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/13/2016 03:51 PM, I wrote:

[...]

Now it's at -11.4F (and I forgot to mention that this morning I had
unplugged it briefly then plugged it in again).

I found the parts list and see that there is a run capacitor in addition
to the "thermostat" (which they call "controller"). Is it likely that
the run capacitor would become intermittent? But then the compressor
would not run and there would be no heat from the compressor
compartment, surely.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Nov 2016 17:55:00 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

Is it likely that
the run capacitor would become intermittent? But then the compressor
would not run and there would be no heat from the compressor
compartment, surely.

Sometimes called a "start run capacitor"? Mine is an '89 upright
freezer was burnt and intermittent, trying to start. Melted plastic
and smelled the burnt plastic. The freezer was left here by the first
owner. Cost me only $53 to fix it and it still runs today. YMMV
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/13/2016 05:55 PM, I wrote:

[...]

Now it's at -13.9F, even after backing off the control a little way from
"max. cold."

My impression is that unplugging and reconnecting "kick starts"
something and it cools very well, then gradually its cooling power
tapers off again. Likely culprit?

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, November 13, 2016 at 4:53:23 PM UTC-6, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 11/13/2016 03:51 PM, I wrote:

[...]

You can pick up a universal combo start relay, overload and capacitor for very little money. Often the start relay on older refrigerators/freezers will go bad just as often as the capacitor or overload. I installed a lot of the kits and many times a hard start kit on older units. I installed a lot of the Supco kits. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw=...at=mPrRngCb x

[8~{} Uncle Frozen Monster