Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Firewood and Poison Ivy/Oak

I've been granted access to a large pile of firewood rounds, free for
the taking. I'm pretty sure that there is no poison ivy/oak mixed in
with the wood because the pile is right next to where I park my trailer
on an old farm. I have cut the weeds/grass around my trailer numerous
times over the past few years and have not been exposed. Believe me, I
know when I have been exposed.

That said, "pretty sure" is not the same as "100% sure" so here is my
question:

The wood will be used exclusively in an open fit pit and I know that
burning poison ivy/oak in an open fit pit is not a good idea. That said,
if I do find that there is poison ivy/oak within the pile - a sloppy,
unorganized pile - should I avoid any and all pieces that are in contact
with the plant?

I know how these plants spread their badness via the oil, but I'm not
sure how much oil would end up on a piece of firewood and whether it's
dangerous to handle/burn any pieces they might have come in contact
with the plant.

Poison ivy Cheryl[_2_] Home Repair 34 July 29th 10 02:33 PM
Help with Poison Ivy [email protected] Home Ownership 0 August 22nd 07 08:47 AM
Poison Robatoy Woodworking 42 June 16th 05 12:15 AM
Poison Ivy Kathy Home Repair 29 May 18th 05 05:41 PM
OT - poison ivy Harry Everhart Home Repair 50 April 10th 05 02:06 AM