Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Poison ivy

Can you treat heavy duty welders gloves to kill poison ivy residue or should
you just throw them out when the work to clear it is finished? Welders
gloves might be overkill but I just want to know if I can reuse them. Thank
you.

Cheryl

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cheryl" wrote in message
Can you treat heavy duty welders gloves to kill poison ivy residue or
should you just throw them out when the work to clear it is finished?
Welders gloves might be overkill but I just want to know if I can reuse
them. Thank you.

Cheryl

Just give them to a welder for a couple of weeks. If you get enough oil
into the leather, and you have serious allergic reactions to PI, I would
just toss them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cheryl" wrote in message
Can you treat heavy duty welders gloves to kill poison ivy residue or
should you just throw them out when the work to clear it is finished?
Welders gloves might be overkill but I just want to know if I can reuse
them. Thank you.

Cheryl

Not a matter of treating, but of removing the oil residue. I'd not use them
again, except for more poison ivy removal. Meantime, I'd keep them in a
plastic bag so no one accidently handles them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cheryl" wrote in message
Can you treat heavy duty welders gloves to kill poison ivy residue or
should you just throw them out when the work to clear it is finished?
Welders gloves might be overkill but I just want to know if I can reuse
them. Thank you.

Cheryl

Go to WebMD, look up poison ivy, they mention two chemical used to
clean/dissolve the toxic oil.
If I have a chance, I'll look.

But, as an oil, it should be soluble in detergent as well, which should
help.
Or, shmearings with vegetable oil, followed by detergent.

Vegetable oil will remove some shop grease that even detergents have a
problem with.
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cheryl wrote:
Can you treat heavy duty welders gloves to kill poison ivy residue or
should you just throw them out when the work to clear it is finished?
Welders gloves might be overkill but I just want to know if I can
reuse them. Thank you.

Urushiol cannot be deactivated by normal means, and is very persistent. The
only solution is to remove it with detergents, but I do not know if these
would work with leather. More importantly, if you have ever had a reaction
to the resin in poison ivy, you would know that the only answer is, "no,
throw them away".

In other words, if you told me I had to pay you $50 or I "might" get contact
dermatitis, you would have $50.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/27/2010 9:53 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Cheryl" wrote in message
Can you treat heavy duty welders gloves to kill poison ivy residue or
should you just throw them out when the work to clear it is finished?
Welders gloves might be overkill but I just want to know if I can
reuse them. Thank you.

Cheryl

Not a matter of treating, but of removing the oil residue. I'd not use
them again, except for more poison ivy removal. Meantime, I'd keep them
in a plastic bag so no one accidently handles them.

Those long heavy welders gloves are great for picking up trapped feral
cats too. :-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 9:22*pm, "Cheryl" wrote:
Can you treat heavy duty welders gloves to kill poison ivy residue or should
you just throw them out when the work to clear it is finished? *Welders
gloves might be overkill but I just want to know if I can reuse them. *Thank
you.

Cheryl

Soap and water dissolve and remove the oil that causes the irritation,
if its on gloves then its probably on your pants and shoes as brushing
into a plant releases the plants oil, just wash everything. The palms
of your hands have thick skin and are the least supceptable part of
your body to Urishiol oil, and if your wash your hands within an a
half hour or so nothing should happen. Welders gloves are a bit
overkill as light duty gloves will work, but just throw them in a
bucket of water with dish washing detergent. The oils remain active
for something like 6++ months so wash it off. Google about it for more
specific informaton. Once I pulled doen vines and burnt them, didnt
shower and didnt know I was breathing Poison ivy burning, I had about
250 welts on each arm, was sick for at least 6 months from breathing
the smoke, and I spread it over my body from not washing. I pull it
mistakenly now and notice it poison ivy to late, I just wash off my
hands with a hose and some soap now and no problem. The important
thing is removal of the oil within about 1/2 hour and not touching any
other part of your body.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 28, 7:19*am, ransley wrote:
On Jul 27, 9:22*pm, "Cheryl" wrote:

[...]

I detox after poision ivy exposure with a rag wet with gasoline.
Figuring it will kill whatever is on me
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 9:22*pm, "Cheryl" wrote:

[...]

A distinction needs to be made between soap and detergent. Soap will
not remove oils, you need a detergent for that. So washing clothes in
a washing machine will work, it uses a detergent. But washing with
soap and water will not work.

For washing after handling PI, I found 2 things that work well. Fels
Naptha bar detergent can be found in the laundry section of hardware
or grocery stores. I guess it used to contain napthalene, which will
dissolve oils well. Now it doesn't so it's safe for household use.
The fact that it says it's used to pre-treat clothes, and that it has
surfactants in it highly suggest that it would be a detergent. The
other solution I have had success with is Tec-Nu. It's a thick liquid
that I rub on my arms and legs after handling PI, then wash off in the
shower. Tec-Nu is expensive, $12 for a bottle but it will last for
many applications and works well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 10:22*pm, "Cheryl" wrote:
Can you treat heavy duty welders gloves to kill poison ivy residue or should
you just throw them out when the work to clear it is finished? *Welders
gloves might be overkill but I just want to know if I can reuse them. *Thank
you.

Cheryl

As an aside, I just found an excellent way to relieve the itching from
Poison Ivy, having recently come in contact with some.

Use a blow dryer. Blow dry the area for a minute or so at the highest
heat you can stand - just don't burn your skin. The itching will get
really intense and then suddenly disappear.

Go on, Google it and see. People rave about it and now I do too.

It has something to do with both drying out the oozing from the rash
as well as fooling the nerves with the heat. I "blew dry" the rash and
the itching would go away for 6 - 8 hours at a time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 9:22*pm, "Cheryl" wrote:

[...]

Figuring it will kill whatever is on me- Hide quoted text -

Soap is alot easier on you than gasolene, all you need to do is break
down the oil residue of poison ive oak or sumac and wash it off, hand
soap, dish soap work fine but dont forget the shoes and pants, if gas
is close by and the only thing I guess I would use it probably alot of
chemicals in my garage would break down the oil.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 9:22*pm, "Cheryl" wrote:

[...]

many applications and works well.- Hide quoted text -

Ive been exposed 20+ times since my big time in 86, bar hand soap is
all ive used and I have had no outbreak. Any hand soap breaks down
poison ivys oils so water can wash it away, even just hosing your
hands after touching it has keep me from having any problems. But I
wash within 15 minutes of pulling it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 9:22*pm, "Cheryl" wrote:

[...]

wash within 15 minutes of pulling it.- Hide quoted text -

I agree. The trick is to wash well right away. I fight it in our
yard. As long as I know I've been in it I can avoid the rash.

I use gloves and wash them well with the other cloths I was wearing in
the laundry with a heavy shot of detergent and extra time on the
dial. But I use those cheap contruction gloves from lowes, few bucks
a pair. They hold up for 3 or 4 washings and then they're trash.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I've used hot baths for mosquito bites when the itching got really bad
or the bites were numerous....I think the heat just increases the
circulation, and thus the antibody/immune reaction and gets it over with
more quickly. Itching would increase for a little bit, in the warm
bath, but then be essentially gone by the time I finished. Careful with
that hair dryer...if the itching is bad enough, may not feel skin burning.

Hot shower, along with careful stretching exercise, got rid of really
nasty tendonitis of shoulder...after trying Rx anti-inflammatory that
made my stomach hurt. Didn't want bleeding ulcer, so quit those.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 28, 10:34*am, "
wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

made my stomach hurt. *Didn't want bleeding ulcer, so quit those.- Hide quoted text -

"I've used hot baths for mosquito bites when the itching got
really bad or the bites were numerous"

Oh, come on...be honest.

You just needed an excuse to luxuriate in a long hot bubble bath to
relieve the stress of the day.

"Sorry darling, but my mosquito bites are really itchy. I need to take
a long, hot bath. By the way, could you bring me a glass of wine?"

;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jul 28, 10:34 am, "
wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I'm fair skinned and rather sensitive, so when I have a bunch of skeeter
bites, I don't need any further irritation....would go for the wine,
though )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 28, 12:12*pm, (Malcolm Hoar) wrote:
In article , " wrote:

Hot shower, along with careful stretching exercise, got rid of really
nasty tendonitis of shoulder...after trying Rx anti-inflammatory that
made my stomach hurt. *Didn't want bleeding ulcer, so quit those.

Tip for anyone that needs to take those anti-inflammatory meds:

Take them with a glass of milk.

It reduces stomach problems very effectively.

....unless you have issues with dairy products...
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 22:22:44 -0400, "Cheryl"
wrote:

Can you treat heavy duty welders gloves to kill poison ivy residue or should
you just throw them out when the work to clear it is finished?

What makes you think it's finished. Some of that stuff will grow
back, I think. Save the gloves for the next time. Each in a separate
ziploc bag, so the fingers of one don't get in the other.

I think I saw on the tv new that because of warmth or something, this
will be a big year for poison ivy, or was that manta rays?

Welders
gloves might be overkill but I just want to know if I can reuse them. Thank
you.

Cheryl

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 04:25:34 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I detox after poision ivy exposure with a rag wet with gasoline.
Figuring it will kill whatever is on me

It might not be alive to begin with.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 9:22 pm, "Cheryl" wrote:
[...]

Yes, soap does dissolve and remove oils. Maybe not all oils as well as
a detergent but for poison ivy, Ivory soap has worked for me for 30
years. I shower within 1 hour of contact, (I lather and rinse twice).
Immediately wash outside with soap/detergent if I have some scratches
that may have been exposed. Get the cheap $1 gloves and throw them
away. Actually I seldom use any gloves unless it's a big job.
Depending on how much my clothing was exposed, I'll undress in the
laundry room, or many times on the front porch (I'm not so sure everyone
here can do that without risk of arrest). The clothing goes straight to
the washing machine and me straight to the shower. I also wash the
shower knobs after I've touched them.

Some people still think you can spread it by contacting the oozing
blisters, thats an old wives tale. Once you wash well, you can't spread
it. It's not a disease, it's an allergic reaction to the oil. Once the
oil is gone, no chance of spreading it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/28/10 01:24 pm, mm wrote:

I think I saw on the tv news that because of warmth or something, this
will be a big year for poison ivy, or was that manta rays?

My wife is suffering from a poison ivory attack at present. At 9am when
she bought some stuff at the drugstore to alleviate the itching, the
checkout person said, "What's going on here? You're the third person
who's bought this stuff already today!"

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I detox after poision ivy exposure with a rag wet with gasoline.
Figuring it will kill whatever is on me

It might not be alive to begin with.

Exactly. *I never heard of living oil, poison ivy oil or any other. *If
oil was living, we could just keep harvesting new crude oil instead of
drilling for more!

The active ingrediant of poison ivy is termed an oil, Eurushiol. Thats
why it can stay active 12 months on tools, clothing etc. Soapy water
is the quickest way to wash it off, but getting it off quickly is most
important. You can walk throught it or your pet does and that night
take off your shoes or pet yout dog, rub your eyes, take a ****, and
the next morning be itching.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I detox after poision ivy exposure with a rag wet with gasoline.
Figuring it will kill whatever is on me

It might not be alive to begin with.

Exactly. *I never heard of living oil, poison ivy oil or any other. *If
oil was living, we could just keep harvesting new crude oil instead of
drilling for more!

The active ingrediant of poison ivy is termed an oil, Eurushiol. Thats
why it can stay active 12 months on tools, clothing etc. Soapy water
is the quickest way to wash it off, but getting it off quickly is most
important. You can walk throught it or your pet does and that night
take off your shoes or pet yout dog, rub your eyes, take a ****, and
the next morning be itching.

3 weeks ago my buddy went out for a bike ride. His front tire slipped
off the pavement and he crashed face first into a pile of Poison Ivy.
The bruises got better in a week or so and he fixed the bike. He was
thinking he got lucky with the Poison Ivy.

I got an email last night. His arms and face are showing the tell-tale
rash and he's beginning to itch.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 16:19:30 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

On 07/28/10 01:24 pm, mm wrote:

I think I saw on the tv news that because of warmth or something, this
will be a big year for poison ivy, or was that manta rays?

My wife is suffering from a poison ivory attack at present. At 9am when
she bought some stuff at the drugstore to alleviate the itching, the
checkout person said, "What's going on here? You're the third person
who's bought this stuff already today!"

Perce

Yes, it was both poison ivy and manta rays, and jelly fish, that are
flourishing in the hot weather.

I found that rHuli-spray is very good for poison ivy, but that was 10
years ago. When I went looking for more 5 years ago, no one sold it
and it wasn't on the net.

They still have rHuli-cream and/or rHuli-gel. I didn't want that
because I didn't want to touch the area with poison ivy. I thought
that would start it itching again. But they are both topical
anesthetics and the sprray worked for 4 hours iirc, maybe more, which
was pretty darn good.

I've never gotten anywhere with calaimine lotion. I hear it soaks up
the seepage but I don't care about the seepage. I care about the
itching. So what is the point of calamine lotion?

Hmmm. ONe guy on the web says rHuli-spray is sold at Walmart (and I'm
sure lots of other places) by Band-Aid under the name of Calamine
Spray. Well maybe. The original had no calamine anything, but maybe
they think they have to say that, or include that. What it did have
was an skin anesthetic and if it has that, it might be the same thing,
or at least good.

These pages have eveyrone's solutions, good or bad.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:2uJRhibvOTIJoisonivy.aesir.com/view/commercial.html+rHuli-spray&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&lr=lang_iw|lang_es| lang_en

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:L_i3q4Mp9GwJoisonivy.aesir.com/view/misc.html+rHuli-spray&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&lr=lang_iw|lang_es| lang_en
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

As an aside, I just found an excellent way to relieve the itching from
Poison Ivy, having recently come in contact with some.

Use a blow dryer. Blow dry the area for a minute or so at the highest
heat you can stand - just don't burn your skin. The itching will get
really intense and then suddenly disappear.

Go on, Google it and see. People rave about it and now I do too.

It has something to do with both drying out the oozing from the rash
as well as fooling the nerves with the heat. I "blew dry" the rash and
the itching would go away for 6 - 8 hours at a time.

I've always done this in the shower, with increasingly hot water.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

On 07/28/10 01:24 pm, mm wrote:

I think I saw on the tv news that because of warmth or something,
this will be a big year for poison ivy, or was that manta rays?

Yes, it was both poison ivy and manta rays, and jelly fish, that are
flourishing in the hot weather.

Old news from the alarmists, getting dredged up in time for summer.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13046200/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/28/2010 5:30 AM teabird spake thus:

A distinction needs to be made between soap and detergent. Soap will
not remove oils, you need a detergent for that. So washing clothes in
a washing machine will work, it uses a detergent. But washing with
soap and water will not work.

This is what's called a distinction without a difference.

Detergent *is* soap. (Of course, not all soap is detergent.) You could
look it up.

All soaps work basically the same way, by attracting and binding oils.
They may do it in different ways, or better or worse, but they all will
remove oils to some extent. (Soap is actually fairly magical stuff,
consisting of molecules that have one end that's polar and one that's
non-polar: the polar end is hydrophilic and attracts water, while the
non-polar end is hydrophobic and attracts oil.)

Soap and water *will* work, given enough soap and elbow grease.

Hey, I even ran across a web page that describes all this as it regards
poison ivy: http://poisonivy.aesir.com/view/soap.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

ALWAYS WASH WITH COLD WATER, hot water opens the pores, making any
exposure worse...

And avoid vigirous scrubbing so you DONT rub the poision oil into
it.......
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 28, 5:01*pm, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

As an aside, I just found an excellent way to relieve the itching from
Poison Ivy, having recently come in contact with some.

Use a blow dryer. Blow dry the area for a minute or so at the highest
heat you can stand - just don't burn your skin. The itching will get
really intense and then suddenly disappear.

Go on, Google it and see. People rave about it and now I do too.

It has something to do with both drying out the oozing from the rash
as well as fooling the nerves with the heat. I "blew dry" the rash and
the itching would go away for 6 - 8 hours at a time.

I've always done this in the shower, with increasingly hot water.

Jon

With the blow dryer working for 6 - 8 hours, I blew it before I left
for work, then again right after lunch - in the men's room at work.
Taking showers isn't always possible but finding an AC outlet is
usually pretty easy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

rash and he's beginning to itch.- Hide quoted text -

When I was pulling and burning poison ivy vines I didnt shower that
night, I was partying big time, My face, arms, where I scratched and
used the bathroom, about everywhere in a few days got me, 2 treatments
of seriods failed, my arms has 250 or so welts some the size of dimes
and 1/4"high, the hospital wanted me admitted and said its so bad it
has to be something else. It affected my health from breathing it for
years and spontaniously re appeared every 6 months for maybe 3 years
on my fingers. I felt for along time like I would die and couldnt
work. Itching was a nightmare. Then I didnt know poison ivy grew as a
vine, I was clearing land and soaked in the poison and in the smoke as
we burnt it. That day ruined the rest of my summer. I wonder what the
Indians did. I could imagine it being used to torture people, by being
tied into a patch for a few days. So any 3 leaf plant scares me, but I
pulled some the other day by mistake and just used a bar of soap amd
water and im fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 14:32:40 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

mm wrote:

On 07/28/10 01:24 pm, mm wrote:

I think I saw on the tv news that because of warmth or something,
this will be a big year for poison ivy, or was that manta rays?

Yes, it was both poison ivy and manta rays, and jelly fish, that are
flourishing in the hot weather.

Old news from the alarmists, getting dredged up in time for summer.

The same stories didn't mention global warming, only the hot summer.
They might have run the same stories in other hot summers, but that
doesn't mean they're false, and your urls below don't suggest they are
false.

The last story of every network evening new show is rarely very
important. They're called "human interest" stories, and I found it
interetsig that these three things are flourishing this year. I'm not
alarmed, and I don't think they intended to alarm anyone.

If the stinging jellyfish are closer to shore, as they are some
places, the lifeguards or someone will probably tell the swimmers. Is
that all right with you?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13046200/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Malcolm Hoar wrote:
In article , " wrote:

Hot shower, along with careful stretching exercise, got rid of really
nasty tendonitis of shoulder...after trying Rx anti-inflammatory that
made my stomach hurt. Didn't want bleeding ulcer, so quit those.

Tip for anyone that needs to take those anti-inflammatory meds:

Take them with a glass of milk.

It reduces stomach problems very effectively.

I followed the instructions religiously, and I have a cast iron stomach
) Can eat just about anything, although more than half a head of
cooked cabbage might keep me awake half the night ) Love it!

I had had the tendonitis for quite some time, second shoulder to have
it, and I was worried about "frozen shoulder". After I couldn't
tolerate the anti-inflam., I went back to the doc, thinking he might
order a couple of ultrasound sessions. His final reply was, "Well, at
your age things sometimes don't work right". #@^#$!(& SOB! Mebbe he
has a shoulder he can live without, but I need both of mine. I don't go
to the doc unless heat/cold/rest fail to cure what ails me...so far,
I've kept all of my body parts except tonsils....lost those only because
I wanted to go along to the doc when my mom took my little brother. We
went to hospital together to have our tonsils out, ether anes. Gack!

Suffered through a probable cracked pelvis, a couple of serious back
strains and a fall from a skate board. Had to do level-of-conciousness
checks every two hours after the skate board fall on cement
floor...small lac. back of head....just went to work that night and
stayed awake all night (at hospital)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Can you treat heavy duty welders gloves to kill poison ivy residue or should
you just throw them out when the work to clear it is finished?

What makes you think it's finished. Some of that stuff will grow
back, I think. Save the gloves for the next time. Each in a separate
ziploc bag, so the fingers of one don't get in the other.

I think I saw on the tv new that because of warmth or something, this
will be a big year for poison ivy, or was that manta rays?

They have been having a hell of a time with sting rays in FL, gulf.

Welders
gloves might be overkill but I just want to know if I can reuse them. Thank
you.

Cheryl

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
wrote:
I detox after poision ivy exposure with a rag wet with gasoline.
Figuring it will kill whatever is on me
It might not be alive to begin with.

Exactly. I never heard of living oil, poison ivy oil or any other. If
oil was living, we could just keep harvesting new crude oil instead of
drilling for more!

The active ingrediant of poison ivy is termed an oil, Eurushiol. Thats
why it can stay active 12 months on tools, clothing etc. Soapy water
is the quickest way to wash it off, but getting it off quickly is most
important. You can walk throught it or your pet does and that night
take off your shoes or pet yout dog, rub your eyes, take a ****, and
the next morning be itching.

Yes, I already knew that. Actually I think it can remain potent for
more than a year. And it's not just the leaves, the whole dang vine has
urushiol in/on it.

http://poisonivy.aesir.com/view/fastfacts.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 16:35:21 -0700, ransley wrote:
[...]

Ouch! It's strange stuff; two of my kids get it bad (although not that
bad), the other could roll around in the stuff and not have any problem.
Me, I can run my hands through it and expect four or five little bumps a
few days later, but that's it. I've heard that "immunity" (or the
opposite) can come and go in people, too.

That Zanfel stuff works great for treating it on anyone I've known who
gets it bad, but it's insanely expensive :-(

It's all over in the woodland around our property, so no chance of ever
completely getting rid of it.

cheers

Jules

Help with Poison Ivy [email protected] Home Repair 19 August 23rd 07 01:08 AM
Poison Ivy Kathy Home Repair 29 May 18th 05 06:41 PM
OT - poison ivy Harry Everhart Home Repair 50 April 10th 05 03:06 AM
Poison Ivy Kirk Woodturning 37 January 31st 04 10:12 AM
Poison it! John Ings Metalworking 1 November 21st 03 09:38 PM