Ray Jenkins

Default Air conditioning? ? ?

I turned on my central air-conditioner today for the first time since last
summer, and all I get is warm air. All else seems to work -- just no
cooling.

This system was installed in 1996 and has had no servicing since then.

What should I expect in the way of repair?

HeatMan

"Ray Jenkins" wrote in message
.. .
I turned on my central air-conditioner today for the first time since last
summer, and all I get is warm air. All else seems to work -- just no
cooling.

This system was installed in 1996 and has had no servicing since then.

What should I expect in the way of repair?

Could be cheap, could be expensive. I can't see it from here.

You need to call a licensed, competent service tech out.

Let me ask you this. How often do you have to oil changed in you cars?
Your HVAC system is the single most expensive system in your house. Do you
care for it?

m Ransley

Did ya try reseting the circiut breaker, did ya set the thermostat to
cool , im sure its fixable for under 20000 .00

TURTLE

"Ray Jenkins" wrote in message .. .
I turned on my central air-conditioner today for the first time since last
summer, and all I get is warm air. All else seems to work -- just no
cooling.

This system was installed in 1996 and has had no servicing since then.

What should I expect in the way of repair?

This is Turtle.

I can't see it from here.

If it is a Goodman / GMC / Janitrol there is only about 3 things that do this on the 1996 models. If it is other brands disreguard
what I say.

Bad Capasitor
Evaperator coil leak all the freon out.
Compressor locked up.

TURTLE

P.S. The 1996 models of Goodman was not a good year.

---

Ray Jenkins

I don't really know how to care for it. I recently had the gas furnace
serviced, but have never had the AC serviced -- didn't seem to need it. No
one ever told me to.

Now I may pay for my neglect.

"HeatMan" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Ray Jenkins" wrote in message
.. .
I turned on my central air-conditioner today for the first time since

last
summer, and all I get is warm air. All else seems to work -- just no
cooling.

This system was installed in 1996 and has had no servicing since then.

What should I expect in the way of repair?

Could be cheap, could be expensive. I can't see it from here.

You need to call a licensed, competent service tech out.

Let me ask you this. How often do you have to oil changed in you cars?
Your HVAC system is the single most expensive system in your house. Do

you
care for it?

HeatMan

I'm not trying to be a smart-aleck, but did you read the instructions that
came with it?

If I were in you shoes, ask the tech if you can look over his/her shoulder.
(I invite people to) Ask them simple questions that don't require a lot of
explanation. "Can I do that in the future?" "How often does this task need
to be done?" What's the best way to do that?" Questions like that are the
way you learn. You may possibly get a tech that doesn't want you 'puppy
dogging' them, but the chances are slim.

Good luck.

"Ray Jenkins" wrote in message
I don't really know how to care for it. I recently had the gas furnace
serviced, but have never had the AC serviced -- didn't seem to need it. No
one ever told me to.

Now I may pay for my neglect.

"HeatMan" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Ray Jenkins" wrote in message
.. .
I turned on my central air-conditioner today for the first time since

last
summer, and all I get is warm air. All else seems to work -- just no
cooling.

This system was installed in 1996 and has had no servicing since then.

What should I expect in the way of repair?

Could be cheap, could be expensive. I can't see it from here.

You need to call a licensed, competent service tech out.

Let me ask you this. How often do you have to oil changed in you cars?
Your HVAC system is the single most expensive system in your house. Do

you
care for it?

127.0.0.1

"HeatMan" wrote in message
ink.net...
I'm not trying to be a smart-aleck, but did you read the instructions that
came with it?

If I were in you shoes, ask the tech if you can look over his/her

shoulder.
(I invite people to) Ask them simple questions that don't require a lot

of
explanation. "Can I do that in the future?" "How often does this task

need
to be done?" What's the best way to do that?" Questions like that are

the
way you learn. You may possibly get a tech that doesn't want you 'puppy
dogging' them, but the chances are slim.

Good luck.

i would say, the average homeowner shouldn't have to worry about HVAC
maintenance, just use common sense to keep it from being damaged. I wouldn't
recommend oiling or recharging the system by a homeowner. or even
testing/replacing electrical components.

the best customers are the ones that try to fix or maintain appliances
themselves and screw it up.
it's called job security... hehe

if cars where well maintained, it would suck to be an automechanic...

-a|ex

Stormin Mormon

Well, we definitely don't have enough information. But AC
systems shold have annual clean and check. Sounds like you
should take some of the money you saved and.... call the
man, Aunt Bee!

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ray Jenkins" wrote in
message .. .
I turned on my central air-conditioner today for the first
time since last
summer, and all I get is warm air. All else seems to work --
just no
cooling.

This system was installed in 1996 and has had no servicing
since then.

What should I expect in the way of repair?

m Ransley

You should expect minimum a circiut breaker not reset, max, a new
system

Childfree Scott

We really need more info here.

Is the compressor spinning?
Is the high pressure line sweating?
Is the condensor (outside coil part) dirty?