Michael A. Ball

Default The real McCoy?

The company I work for bought a "Maytag" dryer almost two years ago,
from Lowe's. The motor shorted out yesterday. The repairman said the
dryer is not a genuine Maytag because a genuine Maytag motor would have
been warranted for more than one year.

I had been considering a Maytag Neptune washer, but now I'm not so sure.
How can a consumer with no training in appliances tell if he is
purchasing a real Maytag or not?

Note: I'm not bothered that the dryer motor failed, because it is used
every day {bed and bath linen}. I just wonder if a genuine Maytag
product might have held up even longer.

Thank you.
Michael
A day without recoil is like a day without sunshine!
John McGaw

"Michael A. Ball" wrote in message
The company I work for bought a "Maytag" dryer almost two years ago,
from Lowe's. The motor shorted out yesterday. The repairman said the
dryer is not a genuine Maytag because a genuine Maytag motor would have
been warranted for more than one year.

I had been considering a Maytag Neptune washer, but now I'm not so sure.
How can a consumer with no training in appliances tell if he is
purchasing a real Maytag or not?

Note: I'm not bothered that the dryer motor failed, because it is used
every day {bed and bath linen}. I just wonder if a genuine Maytag
product might have held up even longer.

Thank you.
Michael
A day without recoil is like a day without sunshine!

Only a question: if it is not a "genuine Maytag" then what is it? A
Bangladeshi knockoff? A space alien decoy? If it is somehow not "genuine"
then I'm sure that the "real" Maytag corporation would be interested in
knowing about it. Also, a visit to
http://www.maytag.com/mths/cust_serv...seBVCookie=Yes
where you can plug in your dryer's serial number and find out what the
warranty period really is might be educational.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Michael A. Ball

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 20:07:10 -0400, "John McGaw" wrote:

Only a question: if it is not a "genuine Maytag" then what is it?[...]

Thanks for the URL. I'll try it out.

The repairman, who has been around for a while, explained that Maytag
had bought out certain companies and that those companies now make
products that are close, but not Maytags. Because the companies are
owned by Maytag, the products can bear the Maytag label. That's all I
know.
A day without recoil is like a day without sunshine!

down the garden path part 2: paving - real stone or concrete imitation...? james UK diy 0 March 28th 04 03:20 AM
Are there any real techs on here that work for a real shop? Jack Electronics Repair 24 November 23rd 03 05:54 AM
real techs Jack Electronics 5 October 27th 03 12:09 PM
Real Oak Wooden Flooring rocyn UK diy 2 August 19th 03 04:43 PM