gina

Default Refrigerator/Freezer not cooling consistently

I have a 1995 Frigidaire Gallery sideXside fridge.

Came home last week Monday to find my freezer thawed... stuff on the
bottom frozen, stuff on the top 1/2 dripping all over. Didn't notice
the temp of the fridge. Unloaded everything. Frozen stuff that was
salvageable went in the chest freezer, the fridge stuff went outside.
Left the doors open and the unit off for 8 hours. Cleaned it well,
nothing exciting happened.

Mom thought maybe I had accidently left the freezer door open a crack.

The unit is level left to right, but high in the front compared to the
back. I cleaned all the grates, and behind the unit. I used to have
both dials pointed straight up. Now I have the freezer turned a couple
notches colder than center, and the fridge all the way to the coldest
setting.

Sometimes it appears ok - freezer @ 0-10, fridge at 35-40. Tonight I
got home at freezer was @ 30 and fridge @50. After opening it to
check, it kicked on and now the temps look fine again. Darn thing just
isn't consistent.

I lost my dishwasher that was on an ungrounded outlet (this one is
grounded) due to a bad power surge about a month ago. I'd assuming
that the unit would not wait this long after the surge to act up.

Also - I never did re-load the freezer - this couldn't be part of it,
could it?

What a pain... if anyone has anything I can try, please help. I can't
afford a new fridge.
TURTLE

"gina" wrote in message om...
[...]

This is Turtle.

I can't see it from here but 2 things comes to mine when i read your post. The defrost timer is sticking and holding it for some
times or You have a plugged up condenser coil on the back. I just thougfht also it might have a condenser fan motor that is working
sometimes and stops the other times. So make that 3 things coming to mine.

One question here you might answer and give me a ideal of what it is. In the freezer compartment in the back wall. Was it froze up
and ice on the back wall when you first seen it messing up the day you come home ?

TURTLE

---

jim

gina wrote:

[...]

this is what happened to our old whirlpool refrigerator:
did the same thing, sometimes worked and sometimes not, open the door
when it is not running and lightly tap the thermostat knob... if it
starts running then you know its the contacts in the thermostat that are
not making a good contact.... ours would start up every time it was off
when lightly tapping the thermostat..... did this a few times and then
got a new thermostat for about $40 at the appliance parts store and its
been working ever since....
might be your problem?????
jeff

"TURTLE" wrote in message ...
"gina" wrote in message
om...

Hi,

I have a 1995 Frigidaire Gallery sideXside fridge.

Have a model#?
http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html
Some model# helps.

Came home last week Monday to find my freezer thawed... stuff on the
bottom frozen, stuff on the top 1/2 dripping all over.

Anything running or sound like the refrigerator was running?? Any
frost on the back wall of the freezer??
http://www.applianceaid.com/frig_notcold.html

Mom thought maybe I had accidently left the freezer door open a crack.

That wouldn't help

The unit is level left to right, but high in the front compared to the
back. I cleaned all the grates, and behind the unit.

Front is slightly higher than the back normally when levelled so the
door want to try to close on thier own.

I used to have
both dials pointed straight up. Now I have the freezer turned a couple
notches colder than center, and the fridge all the way to the coldest
setting.

Set the dials on normal.

Sometimes it appears ok - freezer @ 0-10, fridge at 35-40. Tonight I
got home at freezer was @ 30 and fridge @50. After opening it to
check, it kicked on and now the temps look fine again. Darn thing just
isn't consistent.

Was the refrigerator off ( not making noises/running ) when you found
the warmer temps?

Also - I never did re-load the freezer - this couldn't be part of it,
could it?

Normally does effect operations/running to a point...through some ice
trays and and such in there.

This is Turtle.

I can't see it from here but 2 things comes to mine when i read your post.
The defrost timer is sticking and holding it for some
times or You have a plugged up condenser coil on the back. I just thougfht also it might have a condenser fan motor that is working
sometimes and stops the other times. So make that 3 things coming to mine.
One question here you might answer and give me a ideal of what it is. In the freezer compartment in the back wall. Was it froze up
and ice on the back wall when you first seen it messing up the day you come
home ?

Sticking off cold control is possible, staying off in defrost too long
is possible, intermittant problems are the worst and often the hardest
to narrow down!!

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/
gina

Turtle, no ice, mom had me looking for that because her up/down unit
had done it once. I did let it thaw though, let everything get warm. I
thought maybe something that was transferring the air around was
frozen or something.

Jim - I think you're onto something. I tapped the dial in the freezer
- it came on, for like 5 seconds and shut back off. Tapped it again,
same thing.... Thank you so much. Now, any recommendations where to
get whatever I need to fix this? I think I read that the FREEZER
control is the one that is important, it affects both the fridge and
the freezer, and the fridge one only affects the fridge.

Looks like if I take the ice maker out I can use a tiny socket to
loosen that plastic housing up. I'm assuming it's in there, as the
whole thing seems kind of loose. The two things that turn the light on
and off are also sticking out of that housing, so I don't know what
I'll find. Looks like some other indentations in it that I can't see
far enough into to see if it's a screwdriver thing or not. Wiggling it
does seem to kick start it though. Thank you so much.

Damn this stuff is frustrating. I just packaged up more stuff to put
in the chest freezer while I'm gone overnight.

BTw, How do you guys subscribe to this group and use the fake emails?
I'm going through google right now.

gina

one more question - there is a plastic tube running from the housing
where the thermostat knob is, all the way to the back of the freezer -
what do I do about that? Are there wires in there?

Gina
Dan O.

gina wrote

I have a 1995 Frigidaire Gallery sideXside fridge.

I tapped the dial in the freezer it came on, for
like 5 seconds and shut back off. Tapped it
again, same thing....

A compressor will not usually start up immediately after shutting off.
They need to be left stand several minutes to let the internal gas
pressures equalize before they'll start up properly again.

Now, any recommendations where to get
whatever I need to fix this?

You can read about what information is needed to get the proper
replacement parts for your appliances in the 'Repair Parts' section of
my site linked below.

I think I read that the FREEZER control is the one
that is important, it affects both the fridge and
the freezer, and the fridge one only affects the
fridge.

There will be one thermostat which controls the on and off of the
compressor (the heart of the refrigeration system). Any other controls
will just be for an air damper which limits the flow of air between
the two compartments.

one more question - there is a plastic tube running
from the housing where the thermostat knob is, all
the way to the back of the freezer - what do I do
about that? Are there wires in there?

The thermostat (aka 'cold control') will have a capillary (very small)
tube attached to it. It is a *tube* not a wire so don't cut it or kink
the new one or you'll ruin the control. They can be bent (like around
the diameter of a finger) without causing problems but no sharp bends.

That capillary tube is the control's sensor bulb. The new control will
have one also which will need to be installed in exactly the same
place as the original. Those sensor bulbs are often covered with a
plastic sheath which may be supplied with the replacement control or
need to be transferred from the original.

There will also be at least 2 wires attacked to the control which will
need to be transferred to the new one. They use push-on connectors so
no tools are generally needed for them.

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Frigidaire+fridge

=Ð~~~~~~

gina

I'm pretty sure it's the "cold-control" ... which I'm assuming it's
the thermostat. I guess I'll find out Wednesday when it gets here.
Meanwhile I am *not* buying any more milk! It was 35/56 when I got
home. After a few more taps to the cold control and now it's running.
Hopefully I won't have any trouble installing it. I think the breaker
will be easier to shut off than getting to the outlet.

Tomorrow I'll be re-wiring the power to the dishwasher. I wonder what
the hell kind of stupidity I'll find behind there... I'm sure I'll
find more impressive work when I pull the old one out. After it quit
working, I took the bottom panel off to find wire nuts laying on the
floor, conveniently right below the incoming water supply tube, which
was just a piece of clear hose. :P

The fridge is at least on it's own circuit with new grounded wire.
That's more than I can say for the dishwasher, at least till tomorrow.

Thanks so much for all your help guys.
gina

sorry about that, 35F in freezer/56F in fridge. Yuck! =)
I feel like Fonzie smacking the freezer door to get the thermostat to
kick. I hope my part arrives today.

Meanwhile I am *not* buying any more milk!
It was 35/56 when I got home.

What was? The fridge compartment, freezer compartment or the milk?

If Fahrenheit, that is adequate temperature for both the fridge
section and for the milk. Food will take a while to warm up to the
fridge's air temperature too should it stop cooling at an
inappropriate time.

Let us know how the repair goes anyway.

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Frigidaire+fridge

=Ð~~~~~~

gina

I would like to thank all the kind people who have helped me online
with my kitchen problems the past few weeks after the electrical surge
caused by a faulty wiring installation outside my house. To those of
you who have given me a little credit for being a relatively
experienced DIY person, thank you.
--------------------

I have my wiring all up to code now, the fridge is working great with
the new thermostat. I'm in process of re-doing the floor and bracing
the countertop that "the person who installed it previously" had not
done properly. (2 furring strips holding up the end of the
countertop). Then this weekend I should be able to plumb in the
dishwasher. I rewired it *with* a ground, and have the correct
fittings and hoses now, instead of various hoses clamped to
miscellaneous threaded fittings.

From now on, I shall refer to my Ex as "the person who installed it
previously", so I won't be called a "bitch" again like I did on my
dishwasher thread. Maybe I should change my posting name to a
man's....

~Gina

"I'll install your dishwasher, but I'm not washing your dishes"